Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

WTN: Wines Served at Wedding

no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

WTN: Wines Served at Wedding

by Pinchas L » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:24 pm

At my daughter's wedding, that took place last Tuesday, I served the following wines, and although I didn't drink any myself, I received interesting feedback that I would like to pass along.

During the reception the waiters passed around:

Hagafen Cuvee de Noir 2007
Hagafen Reisling Devoto Vineyard 2007

During dinner the guest were served a white and two reds:

Hagafen Roussanne 2011
Hagafen Prix Cabernet Franc 2008
Segal Fusion Red

The Fusion was thrown in by the caterer, who wanted to offer my guest a choice of red, without even asking me in advance.

Interestingly, the crowd commented most favorably on the Roussanne, and while the sophistication of the crowd varied, almost none drink white wine regularly. I'm glad I chose this over the Prix Sauvignon Blanc, and the Prix Chardonnay, both of the 2010 vintage. The Cabernet Franc was well received, though many commented that they expected a more robust red. Personally, knowing that I was going ot have a large crowd with varying tastes, I preferred a wine that will be elegant and will possess ample fruit. I think I hit my mark with this one. That being said, I plan on opening a bottle, and judge for myself in a relaxed setting over the next couple of weeks.

I'm surprised no one commented on the aged Riesling. I had a bottle several months ago, and I was very much impressed with the complexity it assumed.

Best,
-> Pinchas
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

Re: WTN: Wines Served at Wedding

by Elie Poltorak » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:31 pm

Pinchas L wrote:At my daughter's wedding, that took place last Tuesday, I served the following wines, and although I didn't drink any myself, I received interesting feedback that I would like to pass along.

During the reception the waiters passed around:

Hagafen Cuvee de Noir 2007
Hagafen Reisling Devoto Vineyard 2007

During dinner the guest were served a white and two reds:

Hagafen Roussanne 2011
Hagafen Prix Cabernet Franc 2008
Segal Fusion Red

The Fusion was thrown in by the caterer, who wanted to offer my guest a choice of red, without even asking me in advance.

Interestingly, the crowd commented most favorably on the Roussanne, and while the sophistication of the crowd varied, almost none drink white wine regularly. I'm glad I chose this over the Prix Sauvignon Blanc, and the Prix Chardonnay, both of the 2010 vintage. The Cabernet Franc was well received, though many commented that they expected a more robust red. Personally, knowing that I was going ot have a large crowd with varying tastes, I preferred a wine that will be elegant and will possess ample fruit. I think I hit my mark with this one. That being said, I plan on opening a bottle, and judge for myself in a relaxed setting over the next couple of weeks.

I'm surprised no one commented on the aged Riesling. I had a bottle several months ago, and I was very much impressed with the complexity it assumed.

Best,
-> Pinchas

Mazal tova again Pinchas. Lots of nachas!
Do we all make a shehecheyonu on the A rating? Was it influenced by your joy at the occasion? :wink:
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

Re: WTN: Wines Served at Wedding

by Pinchas L » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:12 am

Elie, thanks for your warm wishes. I'm assuming you intended on posting to the other thread, the one in which I gave Dalton's Anna an "A". You're correct in assuming that the atmosphere in which one drinks wine, effects their perception, increasing or decreasing their enjoyment proportionally to their mood. Given my elation it should come as no surprise that I elevated, and perhaps even inflated, the scores of the wines I had over the past week.

Best,
-> Pinchas