Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Mike BG

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:25 pm

Maale Adumim, Israel

Bargain basement (almost) wedding wines

by Mike BG » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:01 am

Last night, at our son's wedding we were looking for what to serve instead of the junk provided by the wedding hall. Needing 3 cases of red and 3 of white, the price was quite a major consideration, and I was thinking of approximately 50 sheqels a bottle as my maximum price. My immediate choice for red was (as in previous weddings) Teperberg Malbec (2011 this time) which is always a hit with both regular wine drinkers and others (55 sheqels a bottle). My white choice was Carmel Regional Viognier 2009 which I could get for just 40 sheqels, but couldn't get nearly enough of (I needed 3 cases). Quite odd as the distributors actually told me they could have supplied as much as I wanted if they had more notice! Instead I went for the slightly more expensive (45-55 sheqels a bottle depending on the supplier) Dalton Fume Blanc 2012.

Both were very well received by the guests. I must add that a relative of mine who is a bit of a 'wine snob' enjoyed the white, but then asked me if I was planning to serve anything better to close family instead of the red. I told him that I wasn't going to do so, but asked if he had tried the red. Well, of course he hadn't ...
no avatar
User

Mark Lieser

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:36 pm

Re: Bargain basement (almost) wedding wines

by Mark Lieser » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:16 am

Mike:

First of all - mazal tov.

Your post intrigued me because of my experience at my daughter's wedding last year. I chose just to go with what the hall offered (I got to choose between two options) and chose a Recanati red. (That's about as much as I remember about it.)

But, what interested me was that at the wedding, the wine boxes were clearly labeled as meant for export, as they were all mevushal - obviously at the requirements of the mashgiach. I was wondering how you handled that aspect if you chose to buy your own wines locally?

As for me, I saved the good stuff for sheva brachot - this way I could buy better stuff, but smaller quantities.

Mark Lieser
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:10 pm

Hi Mike, Mazal Tov!

You've certainly chosen those wedding wines wisely. :)

All the best and may you have only simchas ,

GG
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:59 am

Mazel tov! Great wines indeed:

2011 Teperberg Malbec is a great wine, but is it mevushal???? Carmel Regional Viognier 2009 is so-so to me, but that wine is not mevushal either. Dalton Fume Blanc 2012 is mevu?

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Mark Lieser

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:36 pm

by Mark Lieser » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:52 am

David:

I think you misunderstood my question - or my point was unclear. To the best of my knowledge, as well, those wines are not mevushal. From my experiences most large catering halls here in Israel will use mevushal wines as the mashgichim seem to feel that they cannot adequately supervise the opening/pouring of the wine at a large venue. I was impressed that Mike was able to get past that. I was not - and chose not to push back too hard. I just saved the better wines for smaller crowds at sheva brachot.

Mark
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:55 am

I attended a wedding 2 months ago here in Israel that featured a selection of mevushal Teperberg wines (there's no such thing as mevu Teperberg Malbec nor Dalton Fumé Blanc) that were poured by the caterer. As well, the Chatan's family provided a bunch of great non mevushal wines to selected tables such as 2007 Recanati Special Reserve, 2009 GMW Yiron, 2007 Carmel Limited Edition, 2010 Dalton Petite Sirah and 2007 Barkan Superieur Cabernet Sauvignon.
no avatar
User

Mike BG

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:25 pm

Maale Adumim, Israel

by Mike BG » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:31 pm

Thanks for all the Mazal Tov wishes.

NONE of the wines were mevushal. All the guests were shabbos observant. The additional mashgiach we employed in the hall (we are pretty fussy about kashrut in large places and like peace of mind) was quite happy if he could ensure that none of the hall's staff had any contact with the wine, and they were briefed accordingly and repeatedly reminded. The mashgiach himself, together with two of the hall's staff whom he knew opened the bottles on the tables (and I helped out a bit to speed things up). We have done this before and never had a problem.

If we had to use mevushal wines only I would not have gone to any trouble and used the junk (it really was ...) in the hall!

As for the expense, I deliberately chose relatively cheap wines, with a good QPR.

For the aufruf shabbos, which was much smaller, we had more interesting stuff:

Friday night:
Yarden Chardonnay
Carmel Cabernet Kayoumi 09
Yarden Merlot 09
Yarden Noble Semillon 06/Heightswine 10

Morning:
Lueria Gewurtz 12
Carmel Kayoumi Riesling 10
Harei Galil Meiron 09
Yarden 2T 09
Binyamina Late Harvest Gewurtz

The aufruf was in a hotel which usually insists on mevushal, but the mashgiach was quite happy, as he knew us well, and knew there would be no problems. None of our guests would ever even dream of asking one of the waiters to open the wine for them, and the staff were all briefed beforehand in addition. In fact, part of our extra kashrus arrangements with this hotel include the stipulation that no wine is to be used for cooking, as some of our guests do not rely on pasteurisation as being good enough to be called mevushal.

Gabriel:
I used to bring some really special wines and put them on a few select tables where they would be appreciated, but over the years I have prefered to set the bar slightly lower and give everyone the same, as I do not like the wine itself to look too conspicuous. It is part of the simcha, not the simcha itself, after all!
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

by Elie Poltorak » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:23 am

Mazal tov Mike! Lots of nachas!