Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Major DRC Tasting in Jerusalem

User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:49 pm

Major DRC Tasting in Jerusalem

by Andrew B » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:49 pm

Looking forward to the full report on the first major Roses Camille tasting held in Israel today.... 8)
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

Re: Major DRC Tasting in Jerusalem

by Gabriel Geller » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:45 pm

Sunday night December 15th 2013 David Raccah and myself attended a special tasting at Scala in Jerusalem, the David Citadel Hotel's gourmet venue. There we met with Nicolas Daniel Ranson and Christophe Bardeau, respectively the co-owner and co-owner+winemaker of Domaine Roses Camille in Pomerol, Bordeaux. We tasted all the kosher wines ever made and released (or about to be) by Bardeau. I had already tasted in the past 3 out of 4 of the wines except the legendary 2005 Roses Camille which was scored 95 by Rogov z.l. and declared as "perhaps the best ever kosher wine out of Bordeaux". It was an extraordinary tasting not only because of the outstanding quality of the wines but even more so for the privilege of meeting and chatting with Bardeau who impressed me immensely by his extraordinary knowledge, dynamism and creativity.

Additionally, Bardeau also made a fully kosher vintage in 2011 at a Saint-Emilion estate, Château Moulin de la Clide. I first tasted it as a barrel sample last May in San Diego but tasting, drinking and enjoying it over 4-5+ hours with a good meal was quite a treat.

Having already posted recently my notes here on the 2006 Roses Camille and 2011 Echo de Roses Camille and having nothing to neither add nor change in my notes regarding those wines for now, following are my tasting notes for the 2005 Roses Camille and 2011 Moulin du Château de la Clide:

Château de la Clide, Moulin de la Clide, Saint-Emilion 2011: A blend of 50% Cabernet Franc and 50% Merlot, aged for 18 months in french oak barrels. Dark cherry red with purple reflections, with on the nose green pepper, red cherries and cranberries, fresh peppermint, cloves and hints of morels. Medium to full-bodied with on the palate tart red fruits, garrigue, minerals, fresh tobacco and smoky notes of toasted oak, and with searing tannins wrapping the mouth along with tongue cutting acidity on a moderately long finish that keeps extending as the wine develops in the glass with air. 13.5% Abv. Extremely young but so well-balanced and structured, showing already great harmony and potential for elegance.

Domaine Roses Camille, Pomerol 2005: This wine is most certainly the best kosher Merlot in the world. Period. Super dark garnet, even darker than the 2006 with on the nose lots of red fruit with as well some blackberries and dark plums, lots of great barnyard funk along with wet forest floor, black truffles and tobacco as well as notes of eucalyptus. Full-bodied and concentrated but in a restrained classy way as opposed to a sledgehammer Israeli or Californian blockbuster with juicy red and black fruit on first attack that including raspberries, blackberries, red currants and plums with on the mid palate the truffle, loamy dirt, eucalyptus and peppermint shining through with bracing acidity along notes of tobacco and coffee with mouth-watering backer's chocolate and a stunning designer dress of tannins gently drying the mouth on the long and luscious finish. This is a super sexy and feminine wine, it is not going anywhere for a very long time and it's all about character, presence, elegance and finesse. An extraordinary wine with a unique mouth-feel, I consider myself very much privileged and grateful for having had the luck to taste it. 13.5% Abv.

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Michael P

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:23 pm

by Michael P » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:40 pm

Fairly impressive. Gabriel, how would you stack up the 2005 DRC vs. other kosher Bordeaux wines?

Andrew - what's the future of DRC - will they be producing more kosher wines? all kosher in the future?
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:01 pm

Michael P wrote:Fairly impressive. Gabriel, how would you stack up the 2005 DRC vs. other kosher Bordeaux wines?

Andrew - what's the future of DRC - will they be producing more kosher wines? all kosher in the future?

Thanks Michael.

I think that both the 05 and 06 DRC are among the top 5 kosher red Bordeaux wines (together with the 2003 Pontet-Canet, 2005 Léoville Poyferré, 2000 Smith Haut-Lafitte and 2005 Malartic-Lagravière).

Regarding the future of DRC they made a kosher DRC in 2011 as well as in 2012 (they skipped 2013 and actually maybe also 2012, I'm not 100% sure).

Best,

GG
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:13 pm

Once you get over the abysmal usage of the acronym DRC, you still need an awful lot of booze to wash down the words "Bardeau of Bordeaux".
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:09 pm

by Craig Winchell » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:36 pm

Chaim Shraga, these guys wouldn't know Romanee Conti if they stepped on it, having never interacted with it face to face. But let's face it, how many of us really know Romanee Conti? Certainly not me. Tasted it a few times, but knowing requires familiarity. But they do know Domaine Roses Camille. So let's not be acrimonious about their acronym. After all, acronyms are simply a shorthand for people who should be familiar with its meaning. To the kosher market, DRC is a Bordeaux, not a Burgundy.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:28 am

Once we are bashing, you can bash on my post as well - this is my take on the lovely event and tasting!

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2014/01/15 ... jerusalem/

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:48 am

Craig Winchell wrote:Chaim Shraga, these guys wouldn't know Romanee Conti if they stepped on it, having never interacted with it face to face. But let's face it, how many of us really know Romanee Conti? Certainly not me. Tasted it a few times, but knowing requires familiarity. But they do know Domaine Roses Camille. So let's not be acrimonious about their acronym. After all, acronyms are simply a shorthand for people who should be familiar with its meaning. To the kosher market, DRC is a Bordeaux, not a Burgundy.

Well Craig, while unfortunately I have not (yet) had the luck to taste the real DRC, Domaine de la Romanée Conti, I have handled quite a few cases and bottles of the 1998 and 1999 vintages. Long-time members of this forum should know by now that the acronym DRC refers, for those of us who are exclusive to kosher wine, to Domaine Roses Camille as it first started as some sort of a joke and established itself as the kosher DRC, indeed an outstanding Pomerol Bordeaux as opposed to a legendary Côte d'Or Burgundy. So, get over it. 8)
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:37 am

Craig,

Gabriel and I interact enough on Facebook that I was certain he'd get my post as an attempt at humor and not as acrimonious .

Anyway, "Bardeau of Bordeaux" is a cool name.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

by Craig Winchell » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:45 am

Sounds like a hair stylist. Catchy for a shingle.

As far as bashing, my playful bashing was half the activity on this forum yesterday. Kind of depressing, in a way.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:13 am

LOL!!! You guys are hilarious :lol:
no avatar
User

Harvey L

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:49 pm

by Harvey L » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:08 pm

Thanks for the report Gabriel. I must say I was not familiar with these wines. Are they difficult to locate in the US (NYC area)?

I got really excited at first because I thought you had found an as-yet undiscovered stash of kosher Domaine de la Romanée-Conti! LOL.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:22 pm

As I described on my blog post. The 2005 DRC is very hard to find. The 2006 DRC is lovely and easily found, but not cheap. The 2011 Echo and Clide are not yet released, but the Echo will soon be available, and will be at all major kosher wine shops in NY, like Skyview and Gotham, and...
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

lewis.pasco

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:41 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by lewis.pasco » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:11 pm

"DRC" is an appropriate acronym for Domnaine Roses Camille about exactly as much as "LT" is an appropriate acronym for "Ladanian Thompson."

- Lawrence Taylor, formerly of the New York Giants.
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:27 pm

lewis.pasco wrote:"DRC" is an appropriate acronym for Domnaine Roses Camille about exactly as much as "LT" is an appropriate acronym for "Ladanian Thompson."

- Lawrence Taylor, formerly of the New York Giants.

That's funny!!!

Of course I thought the same thing - terrible acronym - but didn't want to sound like a wine snob.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

lewis.pasco

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:41 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by lewis.pasco » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:54 pm

Not to be pedantic, but referring to anything other than Romanee-Conti as DRC is simply a misnomer at this point. It's not about snootiness, its about diction or nomenclature or whatever the term is.
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:49 pm

by Andrew B » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:34 am

Just to chime in on this chipper thread, acronyms and football references aside, 2005 is only available through LiquidKosher.com and the 2006s are typically available around the country. As mentioned above, the 2011s are slowly making their way to market and the 2012s are resting happily in barrel.

How's this for modern nomenclature: #TheOtherDRC
8)
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:34 pm

My problem with it is that it sounds pretentious, as well as seeming like an attempt at gaining acclaim by virtue of having an acronym identical to a prestigious brand.

-> Pinchas
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:37 pm

Andrew B wrote:Just to chime in on this chipper thread, acronyms and football references aside, 2005 is only available through LiquidKosher.com and the 2006s are typically available around the country. As mentioned above, the 2011s are slowly making their way to market and the 2012s are resting happily in barrel.

How's this for modern nomenclature: #TheOtherDRC
8)

Andrew,

From anyone other than the one hawking his wares it might be fine... :mrgreen:

-> Pinchas
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

by Craig Winchell » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:41 pm

I don't know, Pinchas, but I think it's ok as long as it isn't done too much. "Too much", I suppose, is in the eye of the beholder, but a little bit of hawking, as long as the wine is good, is to me a community service, bringing attention of others to a wine that is good and perhaps even different. Telling where one can get a rarer premium +, or luxury wine, is simply informative, even if the person calling attention to it stand to gain. I would hate to have wine sales take over the board, but I feel it's controlled at this point.