Getting Across /WeeksEnd wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Getting Across /WeeksEnd wine

Postby Harry J » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:30 am

bsd
Should I , could I etc etc.
Just jump in.
Have a good one; h
Harry J
Wine guru

Re: Getting Across /WeeksEnd wine

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:24 pm

Hello Harry, shavua tov!

After what was a crazy and very busy week (wineries trip in the north, visited 5 wineries there + 2 in the judean hills on Thursday and Friday, the Sommelier Expo and cherry on top, I've lost my voice), this was a rather quiet weekend with a few nice wines including a true shocker.

Friday night:

Teperberg, Terra, Malbec 2011: I wanted to introduce this amazing QPR wine to some friends visiting from France and as always, it didn't disappoint.

Or Haganuz, "David", Namura, Cabernet Franc 2010: I couldn't believe it. Tasted blind I would have said "Bordeaux", and quite a fine one. I never was a fan of Or Haganuz winery, having tasted very few of its wines that were really worthy of attention. But this one is a game changer. Aged for 18 months in french oak barrels. Dark royal purple with on the nose a distinct note of barnyard funk accompanying so nicely notes of ripe raspberries, tobacco and toasted oak. Medium to full-bodied with a silky mouth-feel, the palate features more raspberries as well as black cherries, mushrooms and loamy dirt, spices, a touch of green bell peeper, roasted coffee beans, dark chocolate covered cherries and more red fruit lingering on the long finish with bracing acid and integrating tannins. Well-done, very impressive!

Shabbat lunch:

GHW, Golan, Cabernet Sauvignon 2011: Nicely drinking as always, solid.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Isaac Chavel » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:23 am

Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

Your zinger thought of the week: Good one.

Both Shabbat meals: 2011 Teperberg Sauvignon Blanc. As Gabe said about the malbec, doesn't disappoint.

A good week to all,

Isaac
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Postby Adam M » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:42 am

2009 Yatir Forest. Delicious as expected
Adam M
Wine guru

Postby Gedalya P » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:35 pm

Hi,

Dalton Yuvalim Shiraz 2012 is a drinkable medium bodied flavorful wine.
Recanati Yasmin Red 2012 is a Cabernet Merlot this year. It is another easy-to-drink fruity red wine.
The third wine was Kadesh Barnea Red Desert 2009. This is a Bordeaux blend of Cabernet, Merlot, and Petite Verdot. It is a rich, delicious French-style blend.
From Cellar 18 in Ramat Beit Shemesh
Gedalya P
Wine geek

Postby Bill Coleman » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:28 am

2009 Castel C. Wow! Only one bottle left.
Bill Coleman
Ultra geek

Postby Harry J » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:30 pm

Hi; enjoyed recanati merlot 2011. Would appreciate reading tastin notes. There isn't a rogov TN. H
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Josh Kramer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:41 pm

hello all,
Friday Night: Ella Valley CS 2007, and Ella Valley CS 2009. Both great. The '07 felt like it took longer to open, interestingly.
Shaboos Day: Some boutique winery cab but I forgot what it was called. pretty nice, it was reserva something or other.
Josh Kramer
Wine geek

Postby David Raccah » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:52 pm

This past week, the winner was the 2012 Shirah Vintage Whires (90% Viognier and 10% Roussanne), vexing and lovely. The sad wine was the 2007 Yarden Yonatan Syrah, knowing its potential it is a shame it was so sweet and new world for me. many will love this wine, not me. My backup red was a very nice bottle of 2008 Elvi Herenza

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2014/01/13 ... tan-syrah/
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby gaston k » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:25 am

Fri Night - Shirah Coalition 2011. Very solid
Sat lunch - Recanati Reserve Merlot 2009 - good with meat pasts
gaston k
Ultra geek

Postby Pinchas L » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:02 pm

Hi Harry,

Hagafen Cuvee de Noirs 2007 - The nose has a wonderful burst of strawberry. Whereas, on the palate the strawberry flavor isn't as dominant, competing with an array of flavors imparted by the yeast. It is mellow, with a tad of bitterness. 12% AbV. B/**/Y

Hagafen Prix Pinot Noir Fagan Creek 2005 - At first sip I didn't think the wine is drinkable, but with time it became barely so. The fruit has dried up, and it lacks any sign of life from tannin or acid. Flat is the descriptor that comes to mind. At this rate, I'm not sure I'll put myself through the effort of finishing up the few bottles I have left. C-/*/N

Best Regards,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvelous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Indication of further interest: Y - would purchase again, N - no desire to purchase more
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum