Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

To change /Weeksend wine

by Harry J » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:59 am

b"sd
At times we can hear news that moves or inspires us and then we continue on our way.
To internalize what we hear to the point of having an effect isn't very common.
But at times can be very worthwhile.
Have a good one ; h
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

Re: To change /Weeksend wine

by YoelA » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:06 pm

2007 Shannon Ridge zinfandel and 2011 La Grappe D'Or Pouilly-Fume
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:41 pm

Hi Harry, Shavua Tov!

Friday night:

Dalton, Reserve, Merlot 2010: Evolving nicely and now more approachable, came around well after a couple hours or so in a decanter, definitely one of the better israeli Merlot for the difficult 2010 vintage.

Ella Valley, Petite Sirah 2007: What a treat. Dark garnet towards purple with on the nose plenty of ripe blackberries, plums and oriental spices with a touch of dates. (very) full-bodied, rich and layered with on the palate plenty of ripe black and red forest berries as well as liquor-ish cherries, plums, cinnamon, a touch of dates and plenty of bittersweet chocolate with great acidity and still gripping, almost chewy tannins on the long and hedonistic finish. A rare delight (1807 bottles produced) and, unfortunately, my last bottle.

Shabbat lunch:

Netofa, Tinto 2011: This is a very unique wine. Showed really well but could be even better if given some time to open up.

Lueria, Grand Vital 2008: This one deserves a follow up tasting note as it was mind-blowing! This wine is entering its maturity and has now reached its peak but will most likely hold it for another 2-3 years. Following is my previous TN from August 2012:

While this is actually a new world blend of 70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot and 10% Shiraz aged for 24 months in french barriques, it has an elegant nose more resembling a Bordeaux-blend yet the palate is still more new world. Dark purple towards garnet, full-bodied with on the nose bursting black currants, dark chocolate, roasted meat and sweet wood, followed on the palate by loads of deeply extracted fruit: juicy black currants and blackberries, Mediterranean herbs and a hint of tar along with notes of mouth-watering melted backer's chocolate and new leather, well-balanced with integrating near sweet-tannins on a very long finish. Elegant, complex and well-crafted, a wine that deserves IMHO to be considered as one of the best israeli wines.

So now the wine has evolved to a fully old-world character, showing on both the nose and palate secondary aromas with earthy and musky notes of loamy dirt and wet forest floor as well as smoked wood, roasted herbs and cloves. The fruit is there, juicy and well extracted and the body as well as the finish are plush and elegant, amazing wine, great job.

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:27 pm

Hi. Friday night enjoyed galil Mt alon '10 very much. Is there a newer one out? By day was Martins malbec. Nice, a bit too cherry influenced to my taste but pleasant. H
no avatar
User

Sam M

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 am

by Sam M » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:33 pm

2011 dalton single vineyard cab. I'm a big fan of this wine.
Full body and elegant
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:00 pm

Friday night at friends: 2010 Soreka Cabernet Sauvignon & 2011 Pacifica Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon. Both very nice drinking.

Shabbat lunch: 2010 Weinstock Petite Sirah. Ditto.
no avatar
User

gaston k

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:32 pm

by gaston k » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:49 pm

Fri Night - Baron Herzog CS 2011, the joys of having a decent bottle of wine on vacation, purchased from the Winn-Dixie outside Disney in Orlando.
Sat Lunch - Samuel Smith's Organic Best Ale - I have long been a fan of the Organic Lager from this brewery, but this ale was much better, and a great buy.
no avatar
User

Jonathan K

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:23 pm

by Jonathan K » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:48 pm

No wine for me. A GI bug. While away from home. So....

Pepto-Bismol expires 07/14: solid pink with a waxy smell. Sort of a sick sweet artificial thiing going on the long but chalky finish. Tried 3 times at 1 hour intervals with consistent notes. Drink only if you need something that coats, soothes, and protects.
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

by Isaac Chavel » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:48 pm

No wine for me. A GI bug. While away from home. So....

Pepto-Bismol expires 07/14: solid pink with a waxy smell. Sort of a sick sweet artificial thiing going on the long but chalky finish. Tried 3 times at 1 hour intervals with consistent notes. Drink only if you need something that coats, soothes, and protects.

ROFL
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:09 pm

by Craig Winchell » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:27 am

Most interesting thing I had on Shabbos was a beer. Of course, with guests we hadn't seen in years (for those in the know, the Kelemans of Silver Spring, proprietor of the 3 Goldberg's Bagels stores there, former owners of Willow Glen Kosher Meats in San Jose, long time friends and my fishing buddy). They brought bagel challahs from Silver Spring, bagel dough with is braided, boiled and baked. Absolutely delicious. Of course, we had my wine, examples of everything. But as a person who has had them daily or weekly since bottling, no matter how good they are it was time for a change. So Dan also brought Don de Dieu, a Unibroue triple wheat that was absolutely delicious, and of which we soon had no more, followed by an assortment of other beer of lesser pedigree which were downed with equal rapidity, but not with equal enjoyment.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:16 pm

Hi Harry,

Midbar White 44 2010 - For me, this was the best showing of this wine. The pleasant roundness of the Gewurztraminer, Viogner and Semillon, was coupled with additional intriguing secondary flavors. While descriptors allude me at present, I recall those flavors as savory, a combination of herbal, zesty and sweet. It was nice to see that there was much more to the wine than the initial array of straightforward flavors. Interestingly, I didn't perceive much of the secondary flavors until I revisited the wine on Monday, having initially opened the bottle Friday evening. 13% AbV. B+/**/Y

Hagafen Prix Pinot Noir California Soliel North Block 2005 - In some ways this has matured more than the Fagan Creek bottling of the same vintage, but on the other hand the wine isn't as flat as that one. C/*/N

Best Regards,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvelous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Indication of further interest: Y - would purchase again, N - no desire to purchase more
no avatar
User

Moshe F

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:17 pm

Queens, NY

by Moshe F » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:34 pm

A wonderful weekend with family courtesy of the "Delta Glitch."

Friday night 2009 Hagafen Prix Cabernet Franc. excellent.
Saturday lunch 2006 Segals Single Vineyard Dovev Argamam. Was good but nothing fantastic or outstanding about it.
Saturday night 2010 Herzog Prince Vineyard Petite Sirah. was ok.
Sunday night 2004 Chateau Le Crock. excellent.

A good week to all!
no avatar
User

Josh Kramer

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:05 pm

by Josh Kramer » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:11 pm

Nothing special on Friday night, was a shul dinner.
Daytime we had:
Dalton Viognier 2012 - superb wine, first time having it. I can see what the fuss was about
Dalton Shiraz Oak-Aged 2010 - really liked this a lot, quite full bodied and rich
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:46 pm

Isaac Chavel wrote:Friday night at friends: 2010 Soreka Cabernet Sauvignon & 2011 Pacifica Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon. Both very nice drinking.

Where did you find the 2010 Soreka... The first vintage I saw or heard of coming into the Country was the 2011. Did you bring it from Israel and have you had both?

Love be with your day,

Yehoshua
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:48 pm

BS"D

This Shabbos I went basic and was pleased.

2010 Teperberg Cabernet Sauvignon / Merlot Blend - Israel

Clean, Aroma was just fine and Medium body with just enough flavor for that thought to cross the mind... Is this realy just above $10..Table wine with a smile!
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
Monsey, NY USA
no avatar
User

lewis.pasco

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:41 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by lewis.pasco » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:58 pm

ROTFLMAO!

(Had to one up IC.)
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:59 pm

Yehoshua Werth wrote:
Isaac Chavel wrote:Friday night at friends: 2010 Soreka Cabernet Sauvignon & 2011 Pacifica Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon. Both very nice drinking.

Where did you find the 2010 Soreka... The first vintage I saw or heard of coming into the Country was the 2011. Did you bring it from Israel and have you had both?

Love be with your day,

Yehoshua

Two comments - I found the Soreka 2010 that i BROUGHT BY HAND from Israel to be a solid A- wine. The wine that was brought in by Royal - was a B to B+ wine at BEST! Once again, shipping by Royal changed this wine in some way - NO QUESTION. This wine is here in US, Royal brought them in.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:43 pm

David Raccah wrote:
Yehoshua Werth wrote:

Love be with your day,

Yehoshua

Two comments - I found the Soreka 2010 that i BROUGHT BY HAND from Israel to be a solid A- wine. The wine that was brought in by Royal - was a B to B+ wine at BEST! Once again, shipping by Royal changed this wine in some way - NO QUESTION. This wine is here in US, Royal brought them in.

I am not sure what are you all talking about here. Is it the Carmel wine? David is obviously talking about the Carmel SUMEKA (NOT SOREKA) vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon 2010 that replaced the Kayoumi Cabernet Sauvignon for the 2010 vintage (unclear to me for now whether Carmel will go back to the Kayoumi with the 2011 or stick with the new Sumeka).
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:29 pm

David Raccah wrote:
Yehoshua Werth wrote:

Love be with your day,

Yehoshua

Hmmm.. The first batch of the 2011 was not brought in by Royal and then a short time later Royal got the Distro rights.. Hmmm.. Tasted from one of the Winery guys who came over from Israel last year and so lovingly waited 2 Hours for it to open up and waited for feedback.. Would agree when tasted A- yet have not tasted the latest delivery.. Sounds like I need to re-taste.
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
Monsey, NY USA
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:45 pm

My bad, the wine I liked from Israel (hand shipped) was the 2010 Carmel Cabernet Sauvignon Single Vineyard Sumaka! The 2010 Sumaka that was shipped here by Royal showed very poorly. The Sumaka wines, from what I hear, are OK, but nothing to write home about, maybe they have improved recently. Again, sorry for the mixup
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:47 pm

This past week I had a GREAT 2005 Ella Valley Merlot and a HORRIBLE and poorly made Don Mendoza Malbec:

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2014/01/23 ... er-malbec/

David
no avatar
User

Josh Kramer

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:05 pm

by Josh Kramer » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:12 pm

David Raccah wrote:This past week I had a GREAT 2005 Ella Valley Merlot and a HORRIBLE and poorly made Don Mendoza Malbec:

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2014/01/23 ... er-malbec/

David

David, have you tried the City Winery Malbec?
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

by Isaac Chavel » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:28 pm

Wow! I did not know I set off such a storm. The wine was definitely Soreka CS. I had it at a friend's house Friday night. Maybe I got the vintage incorrect. I do not think he shlepped it back from Israel. On the other hand, I am afraid I started a false search by confusing the vintage. My profound apologies.
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:29 pm

2011 Soreka Special Reserve - Madmon Winery

is the wine I think you are quoting a wine from the Shomron
Yehoshua Werth, Manager