Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

A Gift / WeeksEnd wine

no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

A Gift / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:16 am

BSD

At times we come across someone asking for charity
At times an occasion calls for the giving of a gift.
At times we give with a smile and at times perhaps not.
The poor person will accept the change without the smile and the birthday person too
But the greatest gift is the gift given with our heart.
Have a good one; H
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

Re: A Gift / WeeksEnd wine

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:27 pm

Hi Harry Shavua tov!

Friday night:

Lewis Pasco, Pasco Project #1, 2012: The first wine released by our friend and fellow forumite Lewis Pasco as part of his own winery which he started upon his return to Israel during the summer of 2012. As a quick reminder, Lewis is well-known in Israel as the founding winemaker of Recanati there he worked the 2000-2007 harvests and is also responsible for the 1997-1999 wines of the Tishbi winery (Cabernet Sauvignon Special Reserve 1999...). I actually made kidush on this wine both Friday night and shabbat morning as well as havdala. I decanted it 3 hours before drinking Friday afternoon and it was still going very strong 25 hours later. So this is the first "serious" red wine from the great 2012 vintage that I drank. I gotta say that it was the second time I had it but the first time at home in the quiet and with all the time and tools to play with it. So, a "Bordeaux-plus" blend of 59% Cabernet Sauvignon, 37% Merlot flushed out with 3% Petite Sirah, all from the Shomron region, and aged for 9 months in new french oak barrels. Deep garnet with a royal purple robe with on the nose intense, ripe blackberries and currents as well as cinnamon, herbs and toasted oak. Full-bodied with nice extraction featuring more black fruit on the palate as well as oriental spices with black cherries on the mid-palate as well as a touch of basil, very nice acidity and searing tannins with notes of bittersweet chocolate lingering on the long finish. Very well-made, needs still some time to fully come around and will likely develop further complexity, a clean wine with a structure solid enough to last 7-8 years past harvest. 14.5% Abv. Well-done Lewis, wishing you much success!

Shabbat lunch:

GMW, Yiron 2008: It's been almost 2 years since I last had this wine and indeed it has evolved a bit since then. A Bordeaux-blend comprised of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot, aged for 16 months in french oak barrels. Dark garnet towards purple with on the nose fresh forest berries, a bit of wet earth and vanilla. Full-bodied with on the palate plenty of juicy black and red berries as well as roasted herbs and a touch of tar, followed by a dollop of loamy dirt and tobacco with notes of vanilla and roasted coffee beans with good tannins and bracing acidity that rise on the long and mouth-filling finish. Easy to drink compared with the previous vintages but the structure is there and I believe it will develop more and show some interesting secondary and tertiary aromas in 2-3 years. 15% Abv.

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

lewis.pasco

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:41 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by lewis.pasco » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:02 pm

Heck GG, I'm blushing and I don't think your TN calls for more in the way of a response from me than that. Except very pleased you like it.
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:30 pm

Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

Lewis, if the release is official, then my official Mazal Tov.

The Shabbat was a petite sirah Shabbat. Friday night was the 2010 Har Bracha, decanted for over two hours, and Shabbat lunch was the 2010 Weinstock. Both drunk beautifully and were hits with the table, the Weinstock easier drinking and more approachable for those who do not drink regularly.

A good week to all,

Isaac
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:21 pm

Isaac Chavel wrote:Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

Lewis, if the release is official, then my official Mazal Tov.

The Shabbat was a petite sirah Shabbat. Friday night was the 2010 Har Bracha, decanted for over two hours, and Shabbat lunch was the 2010 Weinstock. Both drunk beautifully and were hits with the table, the Weinstock easier drinking and more approachable for those who do not drink regularly.

A good week to all,

Isaac

Hi Isaac, nice wines indeed, interestingly the Har Bracha (btw 2011 not 2010) is aged with oak staves.
no avatar
User

lewis.pasco

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:41 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by lewis.pasco » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:48 pm

Yes Isaac the release is official, and went well. Just one shop, Wine Depot in Ramat Gan (Tel Aviv) brought 10 cases (60 bottles) there Fri morning at 11 AM, offered at Special New Release price of 90 NIS/btl. Sold 48; they ordered another 60... :P
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:37 am

2005 Chateau Faizeau Montagne-St-Emilion
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:56 pm

IMHO Isaac, the Weinstock PS is better in so many ways than the Har Bracha PS, and cheaper to boot! That said, the HB PS is OK. Finally, the Weinstcok PS is mevu!

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:38 pm

Hi; galil Mt cab shiraz '09. Had tasted this quite a while ago and didn't much care for it as I've seen notes from others who also found it light. This wine has really developed in the bottle nicely. It's big. By day mony classic cab '12. A strong licorice flavor reminding of the binyamina they serve on ElAl. H
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:28 pm

BS"D

To join the team as they say and follow a trend every once in a while I brought home:

2011 Teperberg Malbec and was mmmmmore than pleased!
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
User

R Liberman

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:38 am

by R Liberman » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:36 pm

Hi Harry,

To help us cope with winter, we had a California Shabbat this week.

Friday night - My wife and I decided to splurge after a week of drinking the 'cheap stuff', so we opened a 2010 Four Gates Cabernet Sauvignon. We've been holding on to that for about a year and it was nothing short of spectacular. As is typical of Four Gates, it just kept getting better and better over the course of the meal - teriyaki salmon. I just ordered more.

Shabbat Lunch - My wife and I enjoyed a very simple lunch of challah, soup and salads which was enhanced with a 2010 Hagafen Chardonnay. Luscious and buttery, with just the right amount of oak for our tastes.

We just love both Four Gates and Hagafen and could have a California Shabbat every week.

Shavua Tov,
Robert
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:04 pm

Robert, I think you mean the 2009 Four Gates Cab, unless he gave you a 2010 early. Also, I have never liked the Hagafen Chardonnay, which is weird as it is truly the only white from Hagafen that I find not enjoyable.

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:51 pm

David Raccah wrote:IMHO Isaac, the Weinstock PS is better in so many ways than the Har Bracha PS, and cheaper to boot! That said, the HB PS is OK. Finally, the Weinstcok PS is mevu!

I would have agreed the last time I drank the Har Bracha. This time, some months later and with long airing time, it was much better. My sense was that the Weinstock had a bit lighter/cleaner taste. No complaints for either.
no avatar
User

Steven B

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:59 am

by Steven B » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:54 pm

Hi Harry,

2010 Vignobles David Reserve: I followed David's advice and gave this a lot of time to air out. Very enjoyable. Many thanks to David for the heads up.
User

R Liberman

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:38 am

by R Liberman » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:46 pm

David Raccah wrote:Robert, I think you mean the 2009 Four Gates Cab, unless he gave you a 2010 early. Also, I have never liked the Hagafen Chardonnay, which is weird as it is truly the only white from Hagafen that I find not enjoyable.

David

David, It was, indeed, a 2009. I must have been thinking 2010 because I just ordered some. Good catch!
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:43 pm

Bravdo Cabernet Sauvignon 2010
Bravdo Merlot 2010
Recanati Petite Sirah - Zinfandel Reserve 2011
Tabor Adama Roussanne 2012
GHW Mt. Hermon Moscato 2013
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:22 pm

Hi Harry,

I'm a bit late to post. The wines deserve more than a handful of words to describe each of them, but since I'm short on time I'll do just that.

Hagafen Prix Chardonnay Reserve 2006 - A wonderful marriage of expressive oak with Californian fruit.

Flam Syrah Reserve 2010 - At this early stage the brightness of the fruit dominates. The dense, but silky texture, easily absorbs the 14.5% alcohol. It's an elegant Syrah that currently showcases some floral notes to complement the fruit, while the spices might still be in reserve.

Best Regards,
-> Pinchas