Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Pesach wine

no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Pesach wine

by Harry J » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:34 am

B SD
From a day of unbridled eating and drinking till you don't know
To a time of 18 minutes and 4 cups
Exploring all our dimensions and beyond
Have a wonderful Pesach
H
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

Re: Pesach wine

by Isaac Chavel » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:21 pm

Harry, you are on the case!

My annual quest: A wine for the seder.

(1) Sufficient quality to constitute a celebration of the occasion and the specific requirements of the evening, (2) Cannot break the bank. We have two sedarim here in the Exile, Shabbat and two days at the end. (3) Has to go the distance (unless suggestions for two and two). That includes taste, medium body and alcohol, and mouthfeel. One year I had a lovely cab franc, but ill suited for the specific requirements of the evening.

My model example WAS Lewis' Barbera from the Recanati days. In past years, I always drank israeli wine as part of the celebration. So currently thinking of Netofa Red, Alma SMV.

Any others? Thanks.

Another query: My daughter and I have "significant" birthdays during Pesach, so I thought I MIGHT pull out a 2008 El Rom Cab. Too early? Or wait until the next multiple of five? Thanks.

Isaac
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:12 pm

As of now, my plan for the seder is Dalton Petite Sirah either 2010 or 2012 for the 4 cups and 2008 Gvaot Masada with the meal. There will be as well a bunch of other wines with the multiple meals. I'll report back of course.

Regarding the 2008 El Rom Isaac I think it's a bit young but approachable, I'd decant it for a good couple hours. If you don't have any older wines in that league then go for it, we only live once and can never know what's up for the next day let alone the next 5 years.

Best,

GG
Wine Education Manager with Royal Wine Corp. - Founder of KWSE (Kosher Wine: Sharing & Experiences) - http://facebook.com/groups/kosherwinesh ... periences/
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

by Isaac Chavel » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:36 pm

Gabe,

Interesting that you mentioned Dalton PS, 2010 & 2012 --- not 2011 (which is what they are showing locally). I was disappointed last winter when I had the 2011, so was not planning on it. Otherwise, it would have been a natural candidate.

I just threw in the waiting five years. Probably, as soon as I hear that it is reaching its peak, I'll go for it. Plenty of Yamim Tovim in the interim. For the birthday, I have a regular 2005 Yarden CS. That shouldn't disappoint.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:18 pm

Isaac Chavel wrote:Gabe,

Interesting that you mentioned Dalton PS, 2010 & 2012 --- not 2011 (which is what they are showing locally). I was disappointed last winter when I had the 2011, so was not planning on it. Otherwise, it would have been a natural candidate.

I just threw in the waiting five years. Probably, as soon as I hear that it is reaching its peak, I'll go for it. Plenty of Yamim Tovim in the interim. For the birthday, I have a regular 2005 Yarden CS. That shouldn't disappoint.

It's not that I don't like the 2011 PS I think it's a fine wine but its flavor profile is not as much to my taste as is the 2010. Re: the 2012 I've not had it yet but given the great vintage that 2012 was in Israel I hope it's going to be good. I had the 2005 Yarden Cabernet a few months ago and while nice, it didn't blow me away. I'd recommend the 2007/2008 over it.
Wine Education Manager with Royal Wine Corp. - Founder of KWSE (Kosher Wine: Sharing & Experiences) - http://facebook.com/groups/kosherwinesh ... periences/
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

by Isaac Chavel » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:47 pm

I had the 2005 Yarden Cabernet a few months ago and while nice, it didn't blow me away.

Over the hill?

I'd recommend the 2007/2008 over it.

Thanks, I have 2008s.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:41 pm

Hi Harry, Moadim l'simcha!

It was a lovely seder with good food and great wine!

Seder (Monday) night:

Dalton, D, Petite Sirah 2010: This wine never disappoints and was a great success with the 4 cups, smooth and velvety, delicious. 13% Abv.

Gvaot, Masada 2008: W-O-W!!! This wine was AMAZING!!! :D
The flagship wine of Gvaot, truly shining this time and taking me to the conclusion that the Masada needs 6-7 years past harvest to fully reach its peak and be at its best. A Bordeaux blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot and, though not mentioned on the label, probably a few % of Cabernet Franc and/or Petit Verdot as well, aged 21 months in French oak barrels. Deep cherry red in color with on the nose warm blackberries, raspberries, currants, wild mushrooms, barnyard funk and cigar box. Medium to full-bodied with on the palate smoky wild forest berries, cedar, loamy dirt, minerals, hints of black truffle and bittersweet cigar tobacco, plums, mocha with fine acidity and integrated tannins coming out in perfect balance as well a flavors of mocha and dark chocolate covered cherries on the long and elegant finish. Reminding me of some of the best kosher releases of Léoville Poyferré - Saint Julien, this is a magnificent wine and one of the 4-5 best israeli wines I've ever tasted. BRAVISSIMO! 14% Abv.

GHW, Yarden T2 2008: The first release of GHW's Port-style wine and a very nice one indeed. A Douro style blend of Touriga Nacional and Tinta Cao aged 26 months in oak barrels. Deep Bordeaux red in color with some purple reflections at the rim with on the nose sweet cherries, roasted nuts, dates and melting chocolate. Full-bodied with on the palate sweet cherry liquor, licorice, caramelized almonds, prunes, dried cranberries, crème de cassis with a touch of vanilla and chocolate covered coffee beans on the long and sweet finish. Very sweet but not cloyingly so, paired very well with a delicious flourless chocolate cake and strawberries. 18% Abv.

Tuesday lunch:

Tabor, Adama, Roussanne 2012: Still very nice with the guava now really screaming on the nose that no one could possibly miss it. On the palate the fruit has a bit receded so I recommend to drink up.

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

by Isaac Chavel » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:33 pm

Hi, Harry, mo'adim l'simcha,

1st night: 2011 Tzora Judean Hills
2011 Vignoble David, Cotes du Rhone
2013 Netofa Rose
1st day: 2010 Bravdo, Cabernet Sauvignon
2nd night: 2010 Madmon Soreka
2011 Elvi Mati Rioja
2011 Carmel Kayoumi Riesling
2nd day: 2011 Weinstick Select Petite Sirah

I did not get to taste the whites, though the ladies loved them. The Tzora and Madmon were delicious (were excellent seder wines); the Bravdo a disappointment --- fine wine, but nothing going on. The CDR, Rioja, Petite Sirah were just fine as expected.

Happy rest of the holiday to all,

Isaac
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:39 pm

Hi; recanati petit sirah/zin '11. Ok but was expecting more. Recanati melot 09 reserve ditto. Recanati merlot '11 and artistas from South America,nice a little different. H
User

Bill Coleman

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:14 pm

Chicago, Illinois

by Bill Coleman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:33 am

Prix Reserve 2009 Cabernet Franc
Landsman [Covenant] 2011 Syrah
Tulip Reserve 2010 Cabernet Sauvignon
Flechas de los Andes 2011 Cab/Syrah
Four Gates 2011 Syrah
Yarden 2007 Pinot Noir

Shirah 2012 Vintage Whites
Yarden 2012 Chardonnay
Four Gates 2009 Chardonnay
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

Tel Aviv, Israel

by YoelA » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:43 am

2008 Yatir petit verdot
2010 Brobdinagian Mendocino syrah
2010 Molon Lave riesling
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

by Isaac Chavel » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:28 am

Hi, Yoel, mo'adim l'simcha,

How was the petit verdot?

Isaac
no avatar
User

Steven B

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:59 am

by Steven B » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:16 am

Hi Harry,

2013 Dalton Rose: Had this at the seder, like it better than the 2012 version
2012 Livni Reed Pipe Cabernet Sauvignon: Interesting and needed some decanting
2011 Recanati Petite Sirah-Zinfandel: Good as always
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

Tel Aviv, Israel

by YoelA » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:59 pm

Hi, Isaac. I almost didn't get to try the petit verdot; I was drinking sweet wine for the cups while others were scarfing down the PV. It was surprisingly fruity for this varietal; seemingly still a bit young with lots of good flavors that I don't exactly remember at this time. Fortunately I have another bottle or two and will serve it when I have a better chance to drink some.
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

by Isaac Chavel » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:09 pm

...while others were scarfing down the PV. It was surprisingly fruity for this varietal;

We had a Four Gates PV, recently, and it was quite flavorful as well. I have one 08' Yatir PV, so I was seeking input for an optimal time to open it.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:51 pm

Isaac Chavel wrote:
...while others were scarfing down the PV. It was surprisingly fruity for this varietal;

We had a Four Gates PV, recently, and it was quite flavorful as well. I have one 08' Yatir PV, so I was seeking input for an optimal time to open it.

Isaac, hi. It's already not bad a time to open the 2008 Yatir PV and since you have only one bottle, it would allow you to know how much you like it and get some more if that's the case while it's still available in shops here in Israel. BTW the 09 is IMHO at least as good as the 08.

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

by Isaac Chavel » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:17 pm

Thanks, Gabe, for the heads-up. Mo'adim l'simcha.
no avatar
User

Sam M

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 am

by Sam M » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:12 am

chateau royaumont lalande de pomerol 2011- the jury was mixed
gush etzion loan oak cab franc res 2010- a big hit
yarden sb 13- delicious
David Le mourre cote de rhone 2011 - A WINNER
dalton rose 2013- a nice change
DALTON PINOT GRIS 2013 -love it
DALTON EL KOSH semi lion 2012- excellent
shira PTTP - awesome
Four gates merlot 2008- great
Four gates frer robair- very different very enjoyable
Four gates Rosalinda - dark rose , tastes like it looks, very enjoyable.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:35 am

Sam M wrote:chateau royaumont lalande de pomerol 2011- the jury was mixed
gush etzion loan oak cab franc res 2010- a big hit
yarden sb 13- delicious
David Le mourre cote de rhone 2011 - A WINNER
dalton rose 2013- a nice change
DALTON PINOT GRIS 2013 -love it
DALTON EL KOSH semi lion 2012- excellent
shira PTTP - awesome
Four gates merlot 2008- great
Four gates frer robair- very different very enjoyable
Four gates Rosalinda - dark rose , tastes like it looks, very enjoyable.

Awesome line up Sam!
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:31 am

Sam M - my guess is you had the 12 PttP - correct? Lovely wine, may be better than the 09 and bigger body but not sure yet. Lovely lineup indeed!!!
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Sam M

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 am

by Sam M » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:04 pm

David Raccah wrote:Sam M - my guess is you had the 12 PttP - correct? Lovely wine, may be better than the 09 and bigger body but not sure yet. Lovely lineup indeed!!!

Yes , It is a bigger body and different fron the 09. I think it can benefit from some cellaring.
Question for you; how do you compare the 2012 coalition to 2011?

Sam
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:35 pm

The one time I had the 2012 coalition, I was not as much a fan as I was a major fan of the 2011. That said, give it time maybe the sweetness will go away.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

YossiD

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:17 am

by YossiD » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:55 am

Small Seder (just 8 of us), and mostly light drinkers so only a couple of bottles opened.

First and foremost Katamon 2006 Red Bend (C/M/CF). An outstanding small batch (all Katamon wines are small batch) blend that I save for Seder. Still full bodied and round with a lovely finish, but definitely past its peak. I have one bottle left and will probably drink it before next Pesach.

For those not into reds I opened a 2012 Tishbi blush that was very pleasant.

Shabbat dinner was my last bottle (I think) of Katlav's 2006 Cabernet - IMHO, one of Israel's best kosher CS. This wine is still going strong and was perfect with beef that had been in the slow cooker all day.

Tonight I plan to crack a 2006 Yehuda Jacob's Ladder CS Reserve, but I also have a Maresha 2010 Pinotage-Syrah blend that I received as a gift and which has been intriguing me. Has anyone tried it?

Chag Seameach.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:41 am

Next