Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Pesach wine

no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Re: Pesach wine

by Harry J » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:52 pm

Hi. A golan cab '10 that was enjoyable. An arza/ariel cab that was ok to try once. H
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:18 pm

Shabbat wine: 2011 Four Gates Zinfandel. Gorgeous!
User

Bill Coleman

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:14 pm

Chicago, Illinois

by Bill Coleman » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:42 pm

Shabbat:

Domaine Ventura Grand Vin 2010 Rubens
Herzog 2011 Prince Vineyard - Clarksburg Chardonnay
no avatar
User

Mark Lieser

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:36 pm

by Mark Lieser » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:58 pm

Pesach wrap up: (in no particular order)

Psagot Cabernet Franc 2010
Gvaot Gofna CS Reserve 2009
Livni Sdeh Kalev CS 2009
Bravdo Chardonnay 2012
Yatir Petit Verdot 2008 (in reference to the earlier discussion regarding this wine. It's great now, but I'm glad I have more to try over time.)
Midbar Semillon/Sauvignon 2010 (I'm not ashamed to admit that this goes quite well with matzah brei)
Midbar Rose 2012
Recanati Petite Sirah-Zinfandel 2010
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:10 pm

Mark Lieser wrote:Pesach wrap up: (in no particular order)

Psagot Cabernet Franc 2010
Gvaot Gofna CS Reserve 2009
Livni Sdeh Kalev CS 2009
Bravdo Chardonnay 2012
Yatir Petit Verdot 2008 (in reference to the earlier discussion regarding this wine. It's great now, but I'm glad I have more to try over time.)
Midbar Semillon/Sauvignon 2010 (I'm not ashamed to admit that this goes quite well with matzah brei)
Midbar Rose 2012
Recanati Petite Sirah-Zinfandel 2010

Great line up Mark, fully approved! 8)
Wine Education Manager with Royal Wine Corp. - Founder of KWSE (Kosher Wine: Sharing & Experiences) - http://facebook.com/groups/kosherwinesh ... periences/
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:54 pm

Hi Harry, shavua tov,

So fasten your seat belts and let's summarize:

Friday night, shabbat chol hamoed:

Château La Colonne, Lalande-de-Pomerol 2010: A kosher Bordeaux wine that I thought was available only in France and in the USA but found out that Mandel Mashkaot, a wine shop having one branch in Tel Aviv as well as one in Raanana (and great prices!) now imports it along with other interesting wines. This a blend based on Merlot and flushed out with Cabernet Sauvignon and Franc. Unfortunately, it turned out to be not at all approachable as it remained pretty much muted for the whole shabbat although the structure is great with bracing acidity and very firm tannins and disclosing some green notes and red fruit with deep extraction. I believe this will start becoming approachable in 2 years or so and then improve and be good for another 8-10 years. Given its relatively affordable price (about $32 in the USA), I'd recommend getting a couple bottles for ageing. 14% Abv.

Finished off the 2008 Yarden T2, improved a bit since the seder.

Shabbat lunch:

Dalton, Reserve, Viognier 2012: I remember that when some of my friends here had it for the first time about a year ago the oak was too prominent and they were disappointed that this wine wasn't enjoyable as its 2007-2009 predecessors. However, probably because now the wine has had time for its element to come together, my experience did live up to those. Aged for 4 months in oak barrels, this bright gold wine shows on the nose aromas of ripe peaches, orange blossom, freshly baked brioche, apricot and honey with hints of vanilla and caramel. Medium-bodied and somewhat oily in texture with on the palate more peaches and apricots with touches of honey and quince, tangerine, orange blossom water, nice minerals, good acidity with white pepper and orange zest on the long finish. Very nice wine! 14.5%

Sunday night, chag sheni:

Alexander, Reserve, Cabernet Franc 2009: Alexander's first release of a varietal Cabernet Franc from a single vineyard in the Upper Galilee (interesting fact as most Israeli CF are made from Judean Hills grapes) and flushed out with 5% Petit Verdot grown in the same vineyard, it was first aged 1 year in stainless steels vat and then about 14 months in oak barrels. Dark garnet with on the nose ripe raspberries, dried flowers, roasted coffee and toasted oak with a touch of black pepper. Full-bodied and concentrated with on the palate ripe raspberries and black cherries, smoked wood, freshly cracked pepper, plums and roasted coffee beans with good acidtiy and integrating tannins as well as some unpleasant tea leaves bitterness on the long finish. Not a bad wine but the bitterness on the finish isn't my cup of tea. 13.5% Abv.

GHW, Yarden, Merlot 2008: As delicious and impressive as the bottle I enjoyed a few weeks ago (and paired well with the duck à l'orange that was also on the menu last night). 15% Abv.

Alexander, Amarolo 2008: A blend of 40% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Merlot, 7% Petit Verdot, 6% Cabernet Franc, 4% Shiraz and 3% Grenache Noir. The grapes were dried on mats for 70 days and then the wine was aged for 40 months in both new and old oak barrels. Very dark, impenetrable garnet towards purple with on the nose sweet blackberries and cherries with hints of pepper and mocha. Full-bodied (very), rich, velvety and very deeply extracted with on the palate layers of fleshy ripe black fruit, plums, dark chocolate, sweet cedar, roasted almonds, pomegranate, with more dark chocolate and vanilla lingering on the very long and plush finish with good acidity and integrating sweet tannins. This is a very special, very expensive and unique wine which I liked very much. However it was drinking so well right out of the bottle with no decanting at all and thus I believe this wine is clearly at its peak which it will hold probably no longer than 2 years from now so if you have any, enjoy! 15.5% Abv.

Monday lunch:

Binyamina, Reserve, Roussanne 2012: Nice and different Israeli white wine with the acidity that has a bit receded since I last had it a few months ago, drink up. 13% Abv.

Alexander, Rosé 2012: This wine still hasn't been released yet. It is a wine that had some oak influence to it though I didn't find it as a disturbance whatsoever. It is a GSM blend of Grenache, Shiraz and Mourvèdre and it has a nice, intense pink color. The wine has some good acidity and minerals with flavors of tart cherries and strawberries but not that much more was still going as the bottle had been opened a few days before. Worth trying a fresh bottle sometime soon.

Champagne Bonnet-Ponson Rosé Brut Premier Cru: W-O-W!!!! This was unique and quite a treat! This is one of the 15 or so kosher Champagnes that are only available for buying in France and it was the one I was the most curious about. So, when I saw it on a shelf at a kosher grocery store near the Swiss-French border 3 weeks ago I didn't hesitate and picked up a bottle. And I'm so glad I did! A fascinating blend of 40% Chardonnay, 35% Pinot Noir out of which 10% was vinified as a red wine and 25% Pinot Meunier from vines at least 35 years old. Gold in color with a light salmon-peach pink reflection the nose features notes of wild strawberries, red currants and candied orange peels with hints of yeast and fresh brioche. Full-bodied with fine bubbles as well as a plush, refreshing and long mousse, balanced acidity the palate features tart raspberries and sour cherries as well as ripe red currants followed by spices and caramel with notes of orange and strawberries lingering on the long, creamy-buttery finish. Perhaps the best sparkling wine I've ever had. 12% Abv.

GHW, Yarden, Syrah, Avital Slopes Vineyard 2008: This is a great and beatiful Golan Heights Syrah with concentrated flavors, ripe sweet but controlled black fruit and spices, a keeper. 15% Abv.

Carmel, Limited Edition 2007: Amazing as always and most certainly the most Bordeaux-like wine of Israel. The Brett is now less prominent as it used to be and the wine keeps developing beautifully. 13.5% Abv.

Barkan, Superieur, Pinotage 2007: This excellent and delicious wine showed better than the last time I had it but it's now definitely in drink now mode with perhaps a year left in the tank.

Adir, Blush Port: This dessert wine showed much better than when I first tasted it and it is quite fine. 18.5% Abv.

Teperberg, Nevel port-style 2010: This Port-style wine made of Merlot grapes is nice and well-made though lacking complexity. 16% ABv.

GHW, Yarden, Noble Semillon Botrytis 2004: Incredible Sauternes-style wine, delightful as always and with quite a few years left in its legs, sexy wine. 12% Abv.

Best,

GG
Wine Education Manager with Royal Wine Corp. - Founder of KWSE (Kosher Wine: Sharing & Experiences) - http://facebook.com/groups/kosherwinesh ... periences/
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:09 pm

by Craig Winchell » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:44 am

Found a substitute for my Black Muscat. I have many people who loved it and hate the others available, and it is the single most requested wine I made- people still want me to make it again. The Jeunesse Pink Moscato is very similar in flavor, though pink. Far closer to my wine than the Herzog Black Muscat. It was brought to my table by guests. Personally, I only drank dry reds except a few tastes.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

by Harry J » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:22 am

Hi. Had the ugav merlot which was bold but one dimensional. Arza charisma shiraz,didnt expect much. Hevron heights chardonnay '11not bad. H
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

by Isaac Chavel » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:45 pm

Two quiet last-days at home; no company. But first-rate wine:

2012 Pasco Project #1 (decanted about a third of the bottle for 45 minutes, did the job beautifully)
2013 Yarden Sauvignon Blanc
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

by Harry J » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:14 pm

And Isaac were you as impressed as others with the yarden sb '13? H
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

by Isaac Chavel » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:53 pm

yup. very often it happens that all previous praise, even if accurate, overhypes the expectations. not here. just delicious.
no avatar
User

Sam M

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 am

by Sam M » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:21 pm

Adir A -a big hit
Prix 2009 syrah - delicious
Dalton rose 2013 - fun
Pasco Project - a crowd favorite
Psagot Edom 2011-drinking better now.
Dalton single Vinyard Cab 2011,
Cordovero Porto 2005, good not great.
no avatar
User

Shlomo R

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:49 am

by Shlomo R » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:20 am

A little late to the party, but I did not make my seder choices until the holiday started, but first night my wife and I shared a 2001 Yarden El Rom Cabernet, and then I opened a 2010 Makhpela that a client had given me and insisted I open on the holiday. Second night, we had the second bottle of 2010 Makhpela, and a 2005 Yatir Forest. I opened the 2005 Forest because of a rumor that the vintage was not holding up well, but my one bottle was fortunately in excellent condition, giving the impression that it still had a few years left.
https://www.bike4chai.com/SolomonRosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again for the 5th time in 2016!
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:30 pm

BS"D

Pesach wow...

2011 Roses Camille Echo Bordeaux - France
2002 Pascal Bouchard Chablis Premier Cru Beauroy
2011 Yarden Muscat - Israel
2007 Tishbi Estate Cabernet Sauvignon - Israel
2010 Barkan Assemblage Eitan - Israel
2010 Bezalet Hagolan Cabernet Sauvignon - Israel
2011 Les Remparts De Bel Air Bordeaux - France
2011 Goose Bay Pinot Noir - New Zealand
2011 Elvi Invita - Spain
2009 Yarden T2
2010 Yogev Carignon / Malbec Rose - Israel
2009 Alexander Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon - Israel
2012 1848 Second Generation Cabernet Sauvignon
2009 Kitron Cabernet Sauvignon
2012 Goose Bay Fume Blanc
2005 Porto Cordavero Vintage Port
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:37 pm

Hi Harry,

For the Seder I used the following:

Flam Rose' 2012 - The delicate fruit came through.

Prix Sauvignon Blanc 2010 - The bit of oak is sufficient to dampen the sharpness of the acidity, making it a pleasant choice.

Other wines I enjoyed over the holiday:

White Wine:

Hagafen Prix Chardonnay 2012 -

Hagafen Prix Chardonnay 2006 - The oak intoxicates with its maple and vanilla flavors.

Flam Blanc 2012 - It's delicate with a lighter body than most other wines I've had. Though, it is very tasty.

Drappier Or (Champagne) - The mousse was fine. Recalled previous bottles having better defined flavors.

Tzora Neve Ilan Blanc 2010 - This is produced from Chardonnay. Pretty good.

Red Wine:

Netofa Latour 2009 - The couple of years it aged helped it smooth out the kinks.

Flam Syrah Reserve 2010 - Has the spice that the Latour lacks.

Hagafen Prix Syrah 2009 - Integrated tannins and lush fruit.

Hagafen Prix Syrah 2005 - quite smooth, but with fruit that is not as expressive as I'd like.

Castel Grand Vin 2006 -

Hagafen Prix Pinot Noir 2011 - This is Hagafen's renewed attempt at producing Pinot, with fruit sourced from a new vineyard. I'm still not impressed.

There are perhaps another bottle or two whose names escape me now.

Dessert

Yarden HeightWine 2011 - Too sweet and cloying

Binyamina Gewurztraminer Late Harvest 2009 - Lacking in acidity

Carmel Shaal 2007 - very nice

Hagafen Sauvignon Blanc Late Harvest 2008 - One of my favorite dessert wines.

Herzog Orange Muscat (2012?) - A delicate, but tasty dessert wine.

Best Regards,
-> Pinchas
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

Tel Aviv, Israel

by YoelA » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:25 am

Yehoshua: how was the 2002 Chablis?
no avatar