Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

lewis.pasco

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:41 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

Thank you to my American friends and supporters!

by lewis.pasco » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:22 pm

Hoping this doesn't come off as bragging or blowing my own horn, but rather as sharing rather amazing news with my friends here, all of you...

Just over a week ago my first wine, The Pasco Project #1 vintage 2012, by the Lewis Pasco Winery, kosher lemehadrin for Passover with hashgahot from the local Rabbinute of Beit El, the Orthodox Union (OU-P), and New Square Kosher (tip of the hat to Yehoshua Werth), arrived in the US. Imported by Allied Wine Imports USA Ltd.; they brought in just over 2,000 bottles, about 1/3 my total production of this wine.

It sold out from Allied in a week. :!:

The wine has been well received by several Israeli wine writers as well as by several of you that post here - in particular I'd like to thank Gabriel Geller for his lovely and very detailed TN - and earned a Silver Medal at the Vinalies Internationales in Paris (who post their own excellent tasting notes in a book they publish following each yearly competition.) Sorry Craig I cannot send it to more, no cash to spare right now!

I would also like to note that several wines/wineries of the Shomron did very well at the Vinalies - Gvaot, Psagot, and Domaine Ventura all earned gold medals and more...

Lastly I want to thank several friends of the Shomron who helped make this dream of mine come true - first of all Hillel and Nina Manne of the Beit El Winery who gave me space to make my wine and the physical work to accomplish it, and a roof over my head for over 6 months during my 1st vintage back while my family remained in the US... Hillel also introduced me to several of the leading lights of wine production in the Shomron, each of whom contributed their knowledge of local grape supplies, sometimes shared equipment, and generally were positive influences in convincing me that the Shomron was a great place to get re-started producing wine in Israel: Dr. Shivi Drori of Gvaot Winery and a leading force to elevate the quality of viticultural practices in the Shomron, Erez Ben Saddon of Tura Winery who supplied many of my grapes, Josh Hexter of Psagot for introducing me to the Shomron several years ago and connecting me to Erez, Amichai Luria of Shiloh for providing opinions on various vineyard sources and generally being a great friend and mentor of the area...

But most of all thank you, my customers and patrons and in some very special cases - you know who you are :wink: - for providing me with inspiration that the Kosher wine market has a willingness and a desire to seek out and consume fine wines that aim to be competitive and comparable to any fine wine produced anywhere in the world, kosher or not, and all the better if that wine is made in Israel, our birthplace...
Last edited by lewis.pasco on Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

Re: Thank you to my American friends and supporters!

by Gabriel Geller » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:45 pm

These are great news Lewis, congrats!!! Keep up the great work!

GG
Wine Education Manager with Royal Wine Corp. - Founder of KWSE (Kosher Wine: Sharing & Experiences) - http://facebook.com/groups/kosherwinesh ... periences/
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:09 pm

by Craig Winchell » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:56 am

3 pallets in a week is not bad at all. I don't think I've sold that much of my wine. Mazel Tov.
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

by Craig Winchell » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:00 am

Orange County Fair no longer has entry fees, so it's just transportation. They're trying to get every wine which could possibly be available to Orange County in July, so if you held back 10 cases of each, it could possibly be available to Orange County.
no avatar
User

lewis.pasco

Rank

Ultra geek

Jerusalem, Israel

by lewis.pasco » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:58 am

Thanks Craig, but no way I can hold back the wine for sales in Orange county - although that's one of the best competitions out there in regards to the quality of the judges' panels. I was there judging once, and it was like a who's who of the California trade in attendance to judge. Some winemakers you probably know: Nils Venge, Clark Smith, David Ramey, Bo (and IIRC Heidi too) Barret, I mean just a plethora of highly regarded CA wine makers and also retailers like Wilfred Wong, etc etc...
Last edited by lewis.pasco on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:23 am

Personally, the wine has a HUGE QPR value, That said, it is still a year away from the happy point. If you enjoy it for a shabbos as I did last Shabbos, please decant the wine for a few hours before.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

by Craig Winchell » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:54 am

Lewis, I know them all, and some you mentioned used to be good friends. As for price points, the market resists price hikes, even for new vintages. As for AD, personally, I don't care, because the less that's on the market, the more my good name will not be trashed by my association with my employer, and the easier it will be to get my own place started. To explain further, At AD, I do the best I can with what I have, but I am also working with a bunch of nonkosher wine in fair condition that I inherited from previous production. To the extent that I am associated with that, my name as a winemaker will become tarnished. A retailer (and few retailers are kosher only) might associate me with both kosher and the previously produced nonkosher, and certainly a wholesaler, having successfully sold the wines I produce, would wish to taste the nonkosher product and would associate it with me.

But it never pays to start low, unless your interest is building tier after tier of special wines into your production, whereas I could not see more, initially, than 1 tier, and that tier had better be really good and expensive enough for profitability, at least for certain wines. My interest is not AD, my interest is positioning myself as a winemaker worth purchasing, whether people actually are doing so or not... for later. Later is what matters. AD has always been a temporary gig. But I took nothing (admittedly with good cellar staff) and made a worthwhile product for the price, even if not the greatest value.
no avatar
User

Harvey L

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:49 pm

by Harvey L » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:02 am

Just curious: which NYC stores still have PP # 1 in stock?
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:52 pm

Harvey,

I take it the emphasis is on the word still. Best to call and check. I bought at Skyview, and when I was in Gotham on Monday Costas said he was out but getting more.

Those are the NYC stores I know. Shabbat shalom,

Isaac
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:28 pm

Yup I just ordered more for friends and the usual suspects still have stock - Gotham and Skyview - but call ahead of course!!!
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Sam M

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 am

by Sam M » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:58 am

Lewis,
Just served the pp#1 this Shabbat. It was a huge hit. Bravo!
Sam
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:37 pm

Thank you for doing what you are doing ... Hoping in the future to get a couple more for Shabbos :)
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
no avatar
User

lewis.pasco

Rank

Ultra geek

Jerusalem, Israel

by lewis.pasco » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:09 am

Thank you Sam and Yehoshua.

It is very rewarding hearing that people appreciate my work.

We have received lovely support and appreciation here in Israel as well. Just now I received a telephone call from a private customer who mentioned that she and her husband loved my wine and she's hosting a birthday party for him in about a month. She asked about pricing for a multiple case order. I gave her about 15%, asked her where she lives, and then told her I would deliver it directly to them N/C.

Hearing her perhaps disappointment at the price, I explained that I cannot offer a price too far below the average retailer's price as I would be cutting off the hands of those I supply at retail. A 15% by the case discount is the common practice I've seen all my life, including in California. Then she asks "Am I talking with Lewis Pasco, the winemaker?"

LOL I don't know where she got my phone # but she thought she was talking to a retail store!

Then she asks me if she increases the order would I consider a lower price? :mrgreen:

You've got to love Israelis! So I said OK, I'm very happy you loved my wine, I wish your husband a very joyous birthday, please call me when you are ready to order...