Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Newness in Time / WeekEnd wine

no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Newness in Time / WeekEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:52 am

b"sd
As long as were content with how things are going;all is fine.
But turbulence in our life or for that matter even more dangerous when boredom sets in, our level whatever it is-can start to fall.
And thats where renewal can help.That feeling of a fresh start can be such a boost.
Have a good one; h
no avatar
User

Sam M

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 am

Re: Newness in Time / WeekEnd wine

by Sam M » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:10 pm

Shavua Tov,

2011 Tepperberg terra Malbec: great qpr.
2012 tepperberg silver Shiraz
2011 Herzog Special Edition chalk Hill cab : really enjoyed this. Soft tannins , nice balance.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:09 am

Shavua tov Harry!

I'm currently on vacation in my swiss hometown and thereby as is my habit, focusing on non-israeli wines as much as possible, preferably wines that aren't available in Israel. As well, what made this past shabbat even more enjoyable is that many of my friends here enjoy and appreciate wine while it is unfortunately not the case of most of my friends in Jerusalem, such is life...

All the red wines reviewed here were opened 2hrs+ prior to drinking.

Friday night:

GHW, Gamla/Gilgal, Chardonnay 2012: So, still one israeli wine to start with. Pale gold in color with on the nose fresh apples and pears as well as a hint of lemon fraiche. Medium-bodied with on the palate juicy lemon and green apples, a touch of salty minerals, quince and lime with a bit of light smokiness from the 3 months or so this wine was aged in french oak barrels as well as balanced acidity and a hint of tannins drying the mouth on the finish. 13% Abv. A really nice, not overly complex and refreshing Chard without heavy buttery-oakiness, just as I like it.

Domaine L'Or de Line, Châteauneuf-du-Pape 2012: This Châteauneuf (Rhone Valley) is a classic GSM blend, Grenache (Noir), Syrah and Mourvèdre to which the winemaker may have added a bit of Grenache Blanc, one of the 2 only kosher versions available (together with Vignobles David Les Masques). Half of the wine was aged for 8 months in French oak barrels while the other half was aged in stainless steel for 8 months as well. Bright purple in color with on the nose lavender, cherries, strawberries and plums with a hint of smoked wood and cinnamon. Medium-bodied, the palate features a supple and velvety mouth-feel layers of red berries such as strawberries, sour cherries and cranberries followed by plums, spices such as cinnamon, pepper and vanilla with hints of freshly brewed coffee, wet dirt and graphite, with basil and chocolate covered-cherries, very nice acidity and soft, silky tannins lingering long on the round and refreshing finish. 14.5% Abv. Great wine!

Capçanes, Peraj Ha'abib, Montsant 2011: A blend this year for this consistent winner of 40% Grenache (Noir), 40% Cabernet Sauvignon and 20% Carignan from vines aged 35 to 95 y.o. and aged for 14 months in French oak barrels. Dark cherry red towards purple with on the nose cherries, blackberries and plums as well as toasty wood and coffee. Full-bodied with on the palate more red and black fruit in abundance with hints of almonds and black pepper followed on the mid-palate by loamy dirt and minerals with a great balance of bracing acidity, mouth-coating and almost near-sweet tannins as well as more ripe, red berries on the long and plush finish. Still very young but full of potential and with easily 5-7 years ahead for further development. 15% Abv.

Shabbat lunch:

Château Le Vieux Chantre, Puisseguin Saint-Emilion 2010: A classic right-bank Bordeaux made of 75% Merlot, 15% Cabernet Franc and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon and aged in French oak barrels. Dark garnet with on the nose ripe blackberries and cassis as well as toasted cedar. Medium to full-bodied with on the palate ripe black fruit, licorice, a bit of tar and spicy sweet cedar wood with a hint of heat as well as fine acidity and near-sweet and slightly chewy tannins on the moderately long finish. 14.5% Abv. Could be mistaken for an Israeli wine.

Capçanes, Peraj Petita, Montsant 2012: A blend this year of Grenache, Tempranillo and Merlot from vines 15 to 60 y.o. and aged 5 months on its lies and 10 months in oak barrels. Deep electric purple in color with on the nose violets, bell pepper, plums, blackberries and asphalt. Medium-bodied with green bell pepper, fresh plums, raspberries and spices, then more black fruit and a hint of pencil lead with notes of kirsch liquor and chocolate linger with great acid and mouth-drying tannins on the long finish. Still very young and green as the its older brother 2011 Peraj Ha'abib, this wine could use another year in the bottle prior to becoming trully approachable. 14% Abv.

Château Peyrat-Fourthon, La Demoiselle d'Haut-Peyrat, Haut-Médoc 2010: WOW! This might be the best QPR red wine I've had, fantastic wine at a fantastic price. Classic Bordeaux made of 55% Merlot, 36% Cabernet Sauvignon, 5% Cabernet Franc and 4% Petit Verdot and aged 12 months in 50% new French oak barrels. Royal purple in color with on the nose blackberries, plums with a charming hint of Brett as well as dust and wet forest floor with scents of black truffle. Medium to full-bodied with on the palate layers of black fruit as well as truffles and black greek olives with ripe plums and cassis as well as roasted nuts and mocha with bracing acidity and velvety tannins on the long finish. 12.5% Abv. Superb.

Wishing everyone a great week!

Best,

GG
Wine Education Manager with Royal Wine Corp. - Founder of KWSE (Kosher Wine: Sharing & Experiences) - http://facebook.com/groups/kosherwinesh ... periences/
no avatar
User

Josh Kramer

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:05 pm

by Josh Kramer » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:35 am

Gday everyone,
Alexander Cab Franc 2009 for Friday Night, spicy and full bodied, good with the London Broil
Dalton Oak aged Cab 2010 - good wine, good value

Day
Dalton Viognier 2012, love this wine
Arza Petit Verdot - nice easy drinking, nothing complex but enjoyable enough.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:59 am

Hi Harry,

Hagafen Roussanne 2011 - What differentiates this wine from some other tasty whites is that the body is more substantial, making it more suitable to accompany a full meal, rather than just serve as an appertif, or at most as an accompaniment to a light appetizer.

Hagafen Prix Pinot Noir Noth Block Soleil Vineyard 2006 - There is still some life left in this bottle.

Best Regards,
-> Pinchas
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:21 am

Hi. Friday night was galil Mt ela. Seemed subdued. Arco Nuevo cab argentina '13. Not bad for what it is. H
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:28 pm

Hi, Harry,

Out of town for the weekend, just returned.

Shabbat: 2011 Vignobles David CDR Reserve. Could use some settling down. Otherwise, excellent as we expect.

Last night: 2010 Weinstock Select (Napa Valley) Cabernet Sauvignon. Nice, easy drinking.

Isaac
User

Joshua London

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:53 am

by Joshua London » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:41 pm

Hi Harry,

So I know I've been inactive for a very long time on the forum and on your threads, but this past motzi Shabbos I hosted an Israeli wine tasting for a a group of friends that I thought might be of interest. We tasted these 17 Israeli reds blind:

Alexander Gaston 2009
Binyamina Zinfandel Reserve 2007
Carmel Cabernet Franc Appellation 2007
Carmel Petit Sirah Appellation 2007
Castel Grand Vin 2009
Castel Petit Castel 2009
Dalton Petite Sirah 2011
Galil Ela 2010
Galil Mountain Barbera 2007
Galil Mountain Yiron 2008
Hameshubach Midbar Silver Label 2009
Pasco Project #1 2012
Recanati Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve 2006
Recanati Special Reserve 2005
Teperberg Meritage 2009
Yarden Syrah 2000
Yarden Syrah 2009

The above order is alphabetical, but the tasting order was random; bottles uncorked, bagged and labeled all seperately. The actual selection was a bit arbitrary, all from my own cellar (except for the Pasco Project, the Galil Ela and the Dalton Petit Sirah which were recent samples I received). I'd have included more wines, but it was thought that 17 was already pushing the upper limit of endurance for the assembled group. The tasting was mostly just to have fun, and, of course, to taste wine. Personally, it was also a chance for me to serve up a handful of orphaned bottles that needed drinking.

Not one of these wines was off or bad in any way, which was more than a little surprising to me -- I thought the Yarden 2000 - which is one of those orphaned bottles I discovered in one of my bulk bins that I thought I had drunk up ages ago - would stick out like a sore thumb, likewise I thought I was probably pushing my luck with the Galil Mt. Barbera 2007. There were a few surprises in terms of how well some of these showed, and how uninteresting some came across on first pass or even second pass. Obviously, while none were bad, some of these were nothing special either.

The accompanying menu was brisket, tortilla Espanola, roasted veggies, and several several other side dishes and salads (some of which were contributed by guests - hence my vague memory on the specifics).

Afterwards, the one couple who didn't rush off enjoyed a dram of 24 year old single cask, single malt Mortlach Scotch whisky from the First Editions label (one of my latest Scotch purchases).

All best,
Josh
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:09 pm

by Craig Winchell » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:55 am

And in order of preference?...
User

Joshua London

Rank

Ultra geek

by Joshua London » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:32 am

Order of preference is a little bit tricky as at least one of the wines (Pasco Project #1 2012) is very young and tight and not yet at its optimal drinking window. That said, here is a rough ordering of what I thought showed best/was most pleasurable at the tasting (from best to worst, in strictly relative terms; the last three were probably tied - even though they are very different from each other):

Recanati Special Reserve 2005
Castel Grand Vin 2009
Carmel Cabernet Franc Appellation 2007
Dalton Petite Sirah 2011
Alexander Gaston 2009
Galil Mountain Yiron 2008
Binyamina Zinfandel Reserve 2007
Galil Ela 2010
Yarden Syrah 2009
Recanati Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve 2006
Teperberg Meritage 2009
Pasco Project #1 2012
Carmel Petit Sirah Appellation 2007
Hameshubach Midbar Silver Label 2009
Castel Petit Castel 2009
Galil Mountain Barbera 2007
Yarden Syrah 2000

I was most surprised by the Castel (both how good the Grand Vin did and how relatively poorly the Petit Castel showed), though the Alexander and Binyamina both showed much better than expected. I expected much better of the Teperberg; also while the Yiron was very good indeed, I expected better from it too. Likewise, I expected vinegar from the Yarden Syrah 2000 and the Galil Mt. Barbera 2007, and both were actually very pleasant.

Pasco Project #1 2012 surprised me as I thought It'd stand out better. I think it in a class above both the Dalton and Alexander, for example, but it is simply too young to drink now, while some of the others, like the Dalton, were in very fine form.

All best,
Josh
User

Joshua London

Rank

Ultra geek

by Joshua London » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:43 am

Oh, and just to put it our there (it'll be published in slightly different form in my weekly Washington Jewish Week column), here is my TN for the Pasco Project #1

2012 Pasco Project #1 ($25): a big wine, packed with jammy, concentrated, dark berry fruits, intense, drying, slightly powdery tannins, solid acidity, some mild spice and herbal notes, with a definite overlay of toasted oak. This well-crafted wine needs proper cellaring to mature in the bottle, balance out, and allow the various elements to cohere. While pleasant drinking now, it has much promise of future enjoyment with just a bit of patience. Should come together in about 8 months, and then should develop and drink well through 2020 (tasted blind March 29th, 2014).