Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

The Big One / WeeksEnd wine

no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

The Big One / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:06 am

b"sd
In a circle the end meets the beginning. Alas each time you go around is another chance.
Have a good one; h
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: The Big One / WeeksEnd wine

by YoelA » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:12 pm

Thanks, Harry. My wife's been pretty testy recently with all the pre-Pesach work. I hope she gives me another chance or two.

2008 Domaine de la Niverdiere chinon.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:28 pm

Now that I am better - 2005 Yarden Kela Merlot -I hope it has life, I have another!!!!
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:13 pm

Shavua Tov Harry and all,

Friday night:

I was at a relative's house who, while drinking 1-2 glasses of wine on a daily basis, does not really APPRECIATE the elixir and thus I didn't bother to waste a good bottle and had to suffer his stuff instead.

Barkan, Village 2006: This is a very basic, entry-level label that as far as I know Barkan has stopped to produce (thank God!), pretty much like the GHW's Sion Creek... An unoaked blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Petite Sirah which was, without surprise, DOA and tasted like vinegar. Actually I wonder whether this wine was ever "alive"...

Shabbat lunch:

Dalton, D, Pinot Gris 2013: So this is Israel's first Pinot Gris, it's white and it's dry. Ah, and it's delicious as well. Pale yellow-greyish-greenish, on the nose tropical and citrus fruit including lemon fraiche, mango, Anjou pears and white peaches. Medium-bodied with on the palate first of all insane acidity that grabs you, making this wine the most acidic israeli white I've ever tasted! I mean the acidity here is really off the charts with a rather austere and old world-styled mouth including flavors of lime, mint tea, grapefruit, freshly cut grass, tart apple peels and pears, with salty stoney minerals and a pleasant zing of lemon zest bitterness on the moderately long finish. Although not super complex (a bit bi-dimensional), it is a fascinating wine, loved it. At 55 shekel ($16) it's well worth the money, great QPR. 13% Abv.

Saturday night:

Attended a tasting with a few interesting wines including among others:

Dalton, Reserve, Sauvignon Blanc 2013: Beautiful nose here of tropical fruit such as peaches, passion fruit and banana with a touch of lemon. Light to medium in body with on the palate lemon, bitter herbs, ripe stone fruits, pineapple, a touch minerality with very good acidity and flavors of tart passion fruit on the finish. Nice SB, better than the previous vintage that was a bit less tropical but could have used more acidity.

Recanati, Reserve, Merlot 2010: This has evolved beautifully developing great secondary aromas of barnyard funk and smoky raspberries, gotta buy some.

Tulip, Black Tulip 2011: Whereas Tulip's flagship wine with the 2010's vintage was somewhat suffering of overripe fruit flavors such as dates and raisins and without enough acidity to make up for the wine's heavy body, this one shows vastly different. This is a Bordeaux blend comprising of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot (the exact percentages unknown to me yet) and aged about 20 months in french oak barrels. It is deep bright garnet towards purple with on the nose black cherries and cassis as well as a hint of freshly brewed coffee from the oak. Medium-bodied and a bit too thin, probably needs time to fully come around, showing flavors of cherries, blackberries, espresso with roasted Mediterranean herbs and a touch of vanilla and dark chocolate with very good acidity and searing tannins on the moderately long finish. I believe this wine has potential and needs time for its element to come together as a more coherent whole, I'd rather wait at least a year before cracking a bottle.

Best,

GG
Wine Education Manager with Royal Wine Corp. - Founder of KWSE (Kosher Wine: Sharing & Experiences) - http://facebook.com/groups/kosherwinesh ... periences/
no avatar
User

Steven B

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:59 am

by Steven B » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:47 am

Hi Harry,

2011 Weinstock Petite Sirah
2013 Yarden Sauvignon Blanc: Awesome QPR. It seems that for some reason the Yarden whites tend to be much better values than their reds.

Shavua Tov
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:59 am

Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

insane acidity
you say? insane?

2011 Elvi Mati Rioja. Delicious, even though it did not make the various suggestion lists. In all fairness the lists are supposed to be finite, sufficiently so to be useful, and they are by their very nature personal. Excellent QPR, although it might not rate a "mad QPR" rating.

Chag kasher vesame'ach, a Happy Passover to all,

Isaac
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:52 am

Hi. Enjoyed last bottle of yarden viognier 09. H
no avatar
User

Sam M

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 am

by Sam M » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:09 am

Segal argman dovev 2009, dissapointing , sour, over ripe. I thought I liked it at the Gotham tasting. I will try again
Recanati wild carignan 2010 ,It took a while to open up. I like this wine . It has alot of charachter which I think will be Amazing with a little more cellaring.
Dalton el kosh semillion 2012. I dont have experience with what a semillion should be. but this was a very very enjoyable wine.
Hag sameach
Sam
User

Jeff Adler

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:40 pm

by Jeff Adler » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:00 pm

Recanati Syrah 2013 - Wanted to taste the new vintages. We made some spicy sausages for dinner, wine paired quite well

Cheers

Jeff
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:12 pm

Hi Harry,

I should post now, before Pesach sets in and I forget what wines I had the past weekend.

Hagafen Roussanne 2011 - I have nothing to add to my many previous posts on this wine. It continues to offer pleasure without boring me.

Rothchild Haut-Medoc 2005 - Although it is not spectacular in any way, it is simple and pleasurable, offering nice red fruit with completely integrated tannins.

All the best,
-> Pinchas