Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Special / WeeksEnd wine

no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Special / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:17 am

b"sd
For instance; someone offers you a wine referring to it as a special wine.Prior to drinking it you have'nt yet decided if you too think it special.
Yet to some degree it already is. If we can only begin automaticaly thinking of another person as special perhaps when it comes to those challenging moments it can render the moment a tad less challenging.
Have a good one; h
User

Birger Vejrum

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:42 am

Ringsted, Denmark

Re: Special / WeeksEnd wine

by Birger Vejrum » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:56 am

Hi Harry,

Good one ...

Today Barbaresco Asij 2010 from Ceretto.

Best wishes for a nice week-end.

Ciao
Birger
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

Tel Aviv, Israel

by YoelA » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:54 pm

2008 Gloria Ferrer estate pinot noir

2010 Georges DuBoeuf Brouilly
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:27 pm

Hi Harry, shavua tov,

Quiet shabbat...

Dalton, D, Zinfandel 2012: Having skipped the 2011 vintage, probably due to the relatively cold temperatures having not allowed the grapes to ripen enough, Dalton just released the 2012 vintage of their Zinfandel, a wine they have been making since 2005. Dark cherry red towards purple with on the nose raspberry jam, spicy oak and cinnamon. Full-bodied, this heavy wine features very ripe and somewhat sweet raspberries and plums along with warm spices, candied cherries, roasted herbs, cinnamon, spicy-sweet oak and vanilla with bracing acidity and sticky tannins coating the mouth on the long finish. Too sweet for me, I really miss the Zinfandel wines that Dalton used to make from the 2005 to the 2008 vintages. 15.5% Abv.

Best,

GG
Wine Education Manager with Royal Wine Corp. - Founder of KWSE (Kosher Wine: Sharing & Experiences) - http://facebook.com/groups/kosherwinesh ... periences/
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:00 pm

Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

2010 Four Gates Pinot Noir

A good week to all,

Isaac
no avatar
User

YossiD

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:17 am

by YossiD » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:50 am

Certainly a welcome sentiment, Harry. How do we get our leaders to think that way?

2005 S'de Boker Cabernet Sauvugnon.

Quite marvelous about an hour and a half after opening and a good match for entrecote. The wine was full bodied with smooth tannins and a spicy finish. Just a hint of fruitiness, which is very much to may taste.

A shame this was my only bottle.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:33 am

Hi; dalton yuvalim cab. Was expecting to not be impressed based on some reviews in the forum. However they were written when this wine came out and perhaps bottle age helped. Powerfull. By day Mt Hermon white '12. Nice acidity and flavors. H
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 pm

NYC

by Adam M » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:33 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed the 2007 Alexander Amarolo. It has a very unique port-like nose, inky black in color, full bodied, and has lots of deep fruits. I really like this wine. Anyone who maintains that this wine is past its peak, or not good, either hasn't had a good bottle or has part-time taste buds... 8)
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:37 pm

2009 Kitron Cabernet Sauvignon - Soft and smooth with a bunch of little stuff going on.
2010 Chateau La Foret Bordeaux - Value, Value Value... Sub $20 and good
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:58 pm

Hi Harry,

Hagafen Prix Cabernet Franc 2008 - It has a nice floral character to complement its fruity side. The mouth drying tannins keep its sunnier side in check. 13.5% AbV.

Best Regards,
-> Pinchas
no avatar
User

Moshe F

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:17 pm

Queens, NY

by Moshe F » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:16 pm

This weeksEnd we had winners and a non-winner
2012 Karmei Yosef Bravdo Quadro... not a fan. very ripe plums.
Drappier Carte D'Or
GHW Gilgal Brut. Drappier was very good and the gilgal was nice but the Drappier had more depth when comparing.
2013 Shirah Winery Vintage Whites. A very good wine.

Have a wonderful rest of the week.
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:09 pm

by Craig Winchell » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:33 pm

It sounds as if I may be the only one who despises the Amarolo. That's OK, but I'm trying to see what makes people tick, winewise, and I must say that with this group of kosher-keepers (and I include those who left the group), I must admit that I can't, except that everybody likes one or more iterations of sweet wine. However, that is the stereotype of the kosher wine drinker.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:01 pm

LOL!!! This is exactly what I wrote in my blog at the beginning of this year. The Amarolo is a perfect example of a Freaking date bomb!!! Another WONDERFUL (AKA HORRIBLE wine) example of this kosher wine madness to love all things ripe and in your face is the 2007 Tishbi Jonathan Reserve - horrible wine! And here I am being very kind, pure dates, overripe, mad nasty (in all the wrong ways) wine. Sorry - that is my opinion.

I had the Amarolo again this year - a pure port wine without port styling. IMO a horrible wine and one I would NEVER buy, but these wines are what is selling - not by me, but by the kosher wine buying public. I love control in my wines - great example the Power to the people and the Hajdu PS and Syrah. These are big, bold, in your face wines that are not in any way port like or overripe. They are VERY new world, but I can still appreciate those. In contrast - the two wines by Tishbi and Alexander - are uncontrolled overripe messes - which may have some structure still, but are so all over the place that the only thing I can relate the sensation to is watching kindergarten kids run around on a playing field, no control, no logic, just sheer and utter madness - in ALL THE WRONG ways.

Again, this is my opinion - others, the vast majority of the kosher wine buying public - do not agree.
David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:52 pm

Considering the descriptions of the oenologically unwashed masses to which we have just been treated, I guess I have been hanging around some pretty sophisticated people, i.e., winewise, without ever realizing it. Very few of my friends and acquaintances are “into” wine; yet, they do not serve date bombs nor grotesquely overripe fruit wines. They may not automatically head to the high acidity, bone-dry wines with gripping tannins or wines exquisitely calibrated; but equally true, their tastes do not head over the top in the "wrong" direction.

I guess I ought to view my friends with a new respect. They were raised in traditional homes where the overly sweet wine was de rigeur, and the possibilities for any decent kosher wine were limited, if existent at all. And yet their tastes evolved upward to a higher rung of oenologic being without rejection of their upbringing.* Who knew? You learn something every day.

-----------------

*There is an old saw that the popularity of dry martinis in Jewish liberal circles in New York was owed to reaction against the sweet wines of their youth.
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:09 pm

by Craig Winchell » Thu May 01, 2014 12:52 am

Look, we're talking about the Amarolo because only people keeping kosher, or really Israel-centric wine drinkers, would drink it. Those who don't keep kosher and who also have no Israel-centrism have plenty of other wines to drink- real dry Amarones, for instance, or other classic sweet wines. To me, the Amarolo doesn't taste anything like Amarone. Instead, it tastes like Jeunesse Cab on steroids. I have no problem with sweet wine, and I have no problem with dried berry wines, sweet or dry. There are plenty of classic examples. The Amarolo doesn't taste like any of them. Unlike Raccah, I evidently don't understand "date bombs", don't even understand what they are, because I don't see the similarities between the various wines he calls such things. All I know is that we agree on one thing-- the Amarolo is not a wine for us. I wouldn't have thought it was a wine for Gabe Geller, but evidently I was incorrect. That does not impugn anyone's sense of taste. It only means I don't understand it. It is not a commentary on sophistication of taste. After all, I liked a Jeunesse wine myself, the Pink Moscato, and I was surprised at myself that I did, and anyone who looked at just that side of me might come to the conclusion that I had unsophisticated tastes, and I hope they'd be incorrect. But the Amarolo I just don't get.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Thu May 01, 2014 8:09 am

Craig Winchell wrote:I wouldn't have thought it was a wine for Gabe Geller, but evidently I was incorrect.

Craig, we are talking here about a wine, the 2007 Amarolo, that I have tasted only once, a few sips at a public tasting 3 years ago here in Israel and I then liked it very much and I recall that Dave Raccah also liked (as well as Yossie Horwitz) it as he was there too that day. Now, I've not tasted it again but basing myself on the 2010 that I tasted recently from the barrel and highly disliked as it was over the top sweet and out of control as Dave would say, I can imagine the 2007 not ageing well and getting sweeter without sufficient acidity and tannins to make it bearable. As well, I had the 2008, an exceptional vintage year in Israel less than 2 weeks ago and I liked it. But as I said it elsewhere it was drinking very well on opening right out of the bottle and its structure was gentle in a way that I believe this wine will slide past its peak over the next 1-2 years and that will probably show with the wine's residual sugar taking over and oxidation won't help it either. Something that still quite a few people will most certainly like and appreciate but I will likely not.
Wine Education Manager with Royal Wine Corp. - Founder of KWSE (Kosher Wine: Sharing & Experiences) - http://facebook.com/groups/kosherwinesh ... periences/