Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Shavuos

no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Shavuos

by Harry J » Thu May 29, 2014 1:06 pm

B"SD
The word can mean promises
Kind of like vows
And it means weeks.and Ends of weeks.
Have a good one; H
Last edited by Harry J on Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

lewis.pasco

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:41 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

Re: Shavous

by lewis.pasco » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:25 am

Just in the nick of time I got 6 bottles of the Shilo Chardonnay 2012. Now out of stock at the winery and some stores I frequent.

Should go well with my Spanakopita (actually, made with Swiss Chard leaves.)
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
no avatar
User

Moshe F

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:17 pm

Queens, NY

Re: Shavuos

by Moshe F » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:14 pm

Looking forward to the next two days (for those "outsiders"). Not quite sure yet what bottles will draw my attention but I just picked up a couple of the Hajdu / Brobdignagian wines, the Makom, Rose, and Grenache.

As a side, I strolled into my wine store and picked up the very last of the Pasco Projects. Lewis, your wines are a very hot item. I am glad i was able to snag a few for my future shinanigans.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:44 pm

Shavua tov Harry (what's left of it)!

Tuesday night:

Dalton, D, Petite Sirah 2012: I've long waited to taste this wine and I'm glad it didn't fail me. Whereas the 2011 vintage had a slightly different character than the 2010, (and the 2009 from what I've heard and read, having never had the luck to taste it) with more of a black fruit profile and pepper tones, this one has the blue and vanilla notes that had the first two releases. Dark purple in color with on the nose blueberries, spices and vanilla. Medium to full-bodied (leaning to the full), fruit-forward the palate features a silky texture with flavors of fresh blue and blackberries as well as spices, mint, pipe tobacco and vanilla with well-balanced acidity and soft, near-sweet tannins on the long and juicy finish. Delicious wine and a very solid QPR. Went very well with meat balls, stuffed veggies and couscous. 14% Abv.

Wednesday:

Carmel, Vineyards, Gewürztraminer 2013: What a lovely Gewurz! Light gold in color with green reflections, the nose features scents of apples, a hint of litchi and rose petals. Light to medium-bodied and off-dry however not as sweet as your typical Israeli Gewurz, with on the palate green apples, peaches, litchi and a hint of spice with very good acidity balancing the residual sugar and flavors sweet grapefruit on the moderately long finish. While saying that this is an Alsatian-style Gewurz would be a stretch, it is nonetheless far less sweet and different than its peers such as the Yarden and Lueria Gewürztraminers. Very nice and refreshing with fresh, slightly spiced salads and cheesecake. 13% Abv.

Dalton, Reserve, Viognier 2013: WOW! Beware, this is a great wine! This is one of the best and most complex Israeli white wines I've ever had. IMHO much better than the 2012, and also better than the 2007-9. It is one of the very few white wines that I recommend to decant, as I did with the efficient help of a vinturi aerator. Went well with french brie de Marcillat and trout (in white wine, butter and roasted almonds). A very unique wine, this Viognier is fermented and aged 4 months in oak barrels with its natural, wild yeast. Bright orange gold in color with on the nose fresh butter, white flowers, apricots, peaches, mangoes and honey as well as a hint of vanilla. Medium to full-bodied with a creamy-buttery texture however without showing any sort of oaky bitterness the palate features aromas of fresh, ripe stone fruits, kiwi, mangoes, honey and orange blossom, stoney and somewhat salty minerals, bracing acidity with notes of white pepper and vanilla on the long finish. This an impressive, gorgeous wine and an absolute must-try for any self-respecting wine lover. WELL-DONE! 14.5% Abv.

GHW, Yarden, Noble Semillon Botrytis 2004: This is one of my favorite dessert wines and as always it was a treat. Aged 6 months in French oak barrels. Dark gold, with on the nose dried apricots and pineapples, candied orange peels, marzipan and cloves. Full-bodied with on first attack dried mangoes, peaches and apricots, followed by spicy candied orange peels, honey and quince, honey, vanilla crème brûlée, with fine acidity to balance the sweetness as well as hints of cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla lingering on the long and luscious finish. Paired amazingly well with french blue cheese (Saint Agur). 12% Abv.

Best,

GG
Wine Education Manager with Royal Wine Corp. - Founder of KWSE (Kosher Wine: Sharing & Experiences) - http://facebook.com/groups/kosherwinesh ... periences/
no avatar
User

Jon J

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:31 pm

Ra'anana, Israel

by Jon J » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:08 am

Castel Rose 2013 - IMHO their best yet!
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:03 pm

Hi, Harry,

Three whites for the "dairy holiday" --- all winners.
2011 Tzora Neve Ilan,
2011 Pascal Bouchard Chablis,
2012 Dalton El Kosh SV Semillon.
User

Bill Coleman

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:14 pm

Chicago, Illinois

by Bill Coleman » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:17 am

2012 Tura Chardonnay - Great!
2012 Shirah Vintage White - WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!
2010 Agur Layam - Drank over 3 days, kept getting better, WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

Also 2010 Galil Mountain Rose. OK but nothing to write home about.
no avatar
User

Moshe F

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:17 pm

Queens, NY

by Moshe F » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:54 am

What a wonderful two days.
2012 Montefiore Red. This was a hit. I really like this one.
2011 Covenant Lavan Chardonnay. I think I liked the 2010 more but this was very good. Lemon and apple tartlike and custard on the looonnng finish. good structure and mouthfeel.
2009 Yatir Forest. Fantastic!
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

by Harry J » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:21 pm

hi; yarde indigo 2013 really nice,better than the 2012. galil mt viognier '12 extremely pleasant and not as heavey as the yarden,which in actuality i like even more.h
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:03 pm

Hi Harry,

Makom by Hajdu 2012 - This wine is produced from Grenache Blanc. It is aromatic with substantial weight, albeit dry. It is a pleasant wine, if not overly complex. 14% AbV.

Castel Grand Vin 2006 - It had some nice complexity, emanating from the Bordeaux blend of grapes that went into it.

Tzora Shoresh 2005 - This wine is made from 100% Merlot. I was surprised to find this as alive as it was. It still possesses nice tannins and considerable red fruit.

Hagafen Prix Merlot 2005 - At first all I felt were earthy flavors, but with air and time the fruit and tannin rose to the fore. It was pleasant, but not more than that.

Four Gates Petit Verdot 2010 - The color is magnificent; however, true to the variety the wine is low in acid and light in tannin.

Best,
-> Pinchas
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:25 pm

Pinchas L wrote:Four Gates Petit Verdot 2010 - The color is magnificent; however, true to the variety the wine is low in acid and light in tannin.

"light in tannins" and "Petit Verdot" isn't exactly true to the variety in my book... I loved it but had it only once and that was a year ago...
Wine Education Manager with Royal Wine Corp. - Founder of KWSE (Kosher Wine: Sharing & Experiences) - http://facebook.com/groups/kosherwinesh ... periences/
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

by Harry J » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:44 pm

Thats funny GG,i was thinking the same thing even with an extremely limited exposure to the varietal but since its Pinchas didnt think to question it. H
no avatar
User

Sam M

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 am

by Sam M » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:27 am

Sorry Im so late with this.
Shirah thompson vinyard syrah- loved it
2009 makpelah Hevron heights - loved it huge hit

2012 prix sb moskowitz- very nice
2013 dalton rose- my wife loves this .

2011 tepperberg Malbec- great QPR
2009 Segal argaman - Verizon enjoyable
2010 GM ela. - I always enjoy this.
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:43 pm

BS"D

Shavuot A fun mingle of wines :)

NV Backsberg Brut - South Africa (Love it)
2013 Backsberg - Chardonnay - South Africa (Really good)
Backsberg Pinotage (Smokey)
Backsberg Merlot (FRUIT BOMB)
2008 Del Vino - Italy (Same Winemaker as Fal esco) The best wine I have had that has a Cilantro thing.. very different.
2009 Alexander Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon - Israel - Lovely
2009 Kitron Cabernet Sauvignon Single Vineyard Reserve - Israel Smooth

Thinking if that was it.. All things good....
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines