Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Lift / WeeksEnd wine

no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Lift / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Thu May 29, 2014 1:30 pm

BSD
Interesting saying-carries his weight
Obviously what to one seems a burden to another is oppurtunity
Have a good one; H
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

Re: Lift / WeeksEnd wine

by Isaac Chavel » Fri May 30, 2014 9:47 am

Hi, Harry,

Been away in israel for the past few weeks. Did not get to drink as much wine, not available here, as I wished. At any rate:

2012 Dalton Fume Blanc
2012 Teperberg Terra Malbec
2010 Midbar 44
2013 Ruth Rose
201? Yarden Gewurtztraminner

Come to think of it, I might not have drunk any wine ultimately unavailable here. Enjoyed them all. The Midbar is certainly a unique wine. Lovely.

Shabbat Shalom,

Isaac
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat May 31, 2014 3:48 pm

Shavua Tov Harry!

Friday night:

Tabor, Adama, Cabernet Franc-Cabernet Sauvignon 2009: This wine is a QPR discovery and I'd like to thank again David Raccah for pointing it out to me.
An interesting blend of Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon, aged for 12 months in french and american oak barrels. Dark garnet, with on the nose cherries, raspberries, a hint of barnyard funk and pepper. Medium-bodied with on the palate more red fruit such as tart cherries and raspberries as well as blackberries, spices, a bit of dust and loamy dirt, cracked pepper and tobacco with fine acidity and soft tannins gently coating and drying the mouth on the moderately long finish. Very nice wine, pretty much old world in style and at a reasonable 60-70 NIS (I paid only 46 NIS for this specific bottle but I have my ways) it is a great QPR. 14% Abv.

Or Haganuz, Marom Vineyard, Hillel V'Dan plots 2010: I'm starting to gain more and more respect for this winery, having visited it and tasted thru the 2011 wines a month ago it has under gone radical and impressive improvements from wines that were overripe, overly sweet and out of balance towards wine showing now more restrained, more old world in style, controlled, complex and very-well balanced while providing good enough QPR. The Marom Vineyard series is comprised of several single-varietal wines as well as this blend. A blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Shiraz aged for 14 months in oak barrels. Deep inky wine with a royal purple hue, the nose is filled with barnyard, ripe black fruit, wet forest floor, fresh leather and spices. Full-bodied and well-extracted with on the palate layers of black and red fruit such as cassis, cherries and raspberries as well as Mediterranean herbs, graphite, loamy dirt, oriental spices, smoked meat and tobacco with dark chocolate and more red fruit along with bracing acidity and slightly chewy tannins coating the mouth on the long and mouth-filling finish. Excellent wine. 14% Abv.

Shabbat lunch:

Teperberg, Terra, Malbec 2008: So this was a bit disappointing as the wine was, while enjoyable, a bit over the hill. Aged for 12 month in oak barrels. Dark garnet in color and somewhat cloudy, turning brick at the rim with on the nose sweet berries, spices and dates. Medium to full-bodied with on the palate juicy sweet red and black fruit along with dates, figs, a bit of roasted meat with more spices, red fruits and dates rising with integrated tannins and low acidity on the moderately long finish. This wine is in drink up mode, very easy drinking and a bit on the sweet side but still enjoyable. 13% Abv.

Best,

GG
Wine Education Manager with Royal Wine Corp. - Founder of KWSE (Kosher Wine: Sharing & Experiences) - http://facebook.com/groups/kosherwinesh ... periences/
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:10 am

Bought on Friday the 2010 Florenza Barbera d'Alba on Yehoshua's recommendation (always looking for a good Barbera):http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=51228. Bottle was bad. Will have to return today or tomorrow.

Reached into the closet and out came 2011 Gabrielle Pinot Noir. Nice enough, pleasant, nothing to write home about.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:50 am

hi; gilgal syrah ,interesting syrah at the price its ells for.Definitely some smoke and a bit of funkiness.H
User

Jeff Adler

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:40 pm

by Jeff Adler » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:42 pm

Friday Night - Psagot 2011 Merlot. Nice wine. I have liked all of the red wines from Psagot

Shabbat Lunch - Goose Bay 2012 Sauvignon Blanc - it was ok, not as crisp as I would like in a SB.

Cheers

Jeff
no avatar
User

Sam M

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 am

by Sam M » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:04 pm

2012 don Mendoza malbec very drinkable QPR
2013 dalton Pinot Gris , very nice , citrus and apricot
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:15 pm

Hi Harry,

Four Gates Syrah 2009 - The wine is medium bodied, and exhibits an array of fresh red fruit, making it pleasant to drink. I didn't sense the typical spice, and was somewhat surprised by its relatively light body. AbV 14.6%.

Completed the Midbar Viognier '10, opened last week. It was still drinking well.

Best,
-> Pinchas
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:38 am

Hi Harry.
Last Shabbat we hosted over 70 guests for Shabbat Sheva Brachot. Another advantage of living on a Yishuv ("settlement") - easy to find accomodations for them.
Basically a supermarket wine crowd so served plenty of Galit Mt. Syrah 2012 and Merlot 2012, Tavor Har Chardonnay 2013 and also Teperberg Terra Cabernet Sauvignon 2009.
Didn't drink any wine other than sweet wine for Kiddush but went through Glenlivet 12 & 15, Glenfiddich 14 Royal Oak, Schmerling's Chocolate & Coffee, Cherry Heering, Drambuie.
Chag Sameach.
Zvi
no avatar
User

Moshe F

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:17 pm

Queens, NY

by Moshe F » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:11 pm

Hi all,

This past WeeksEnd I enjoyed THE 2007 Carmel Mediterranean. An absolutely lovely wine. It was a bit closed when first opened but after a few hours it really developed and showed well. Both raspberries and blackberries and some slight oak and spice (perhaps "Mediterranean" spice ;) and not "big body" per-say but a lean body would seem a more accurate descriptor. silky mouthfeel and long finish.

saturday lunch was a simpler bottle that i brought for a friend who doesnt really drink wine. 201? goosebay pinot noir. strawberries with some leathery undertones. was fine enough for me.

A wonderful week to all.
Moshe F.