Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Half or Broken / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:39 am

b'sd
When referring to half a dollar we dont think of it as a broken coin.Same with a married couple.
Yes there are situations where a part is a whole which becomes more complete when fusing with another.
Have a good one;
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Re: Half or Broken / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:51 pm

friday nite enjoyed an '07 viognier that now has the color of honeyThe funkiness blows off after a few minutes rewarding with a flavors of nectarine.By day also from '07 a chardonay which was shockingly still ok.Both fromGalil Mt
H
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:46 am

I appreciate Harry's reminder to enjoy tonight's wine thoughtfully, after reading and thinking about the Ki Tisa Torah portion for this day. What a reading that is, one of the longest, and covering a number of important metaphors.
http://www.reformjudaism.org/learning/t ... mpaign=TMT
Approaching our wine enjoyment thoughtfully and in context adds to the enjoyment to me. Thanks for all the years you've done this, Harry.

Campo Viejo 2014 Rioja Tempranillo ($12.99)
This is a dark reddish-purple wine, only slightly more red at the edge. Typical scents of simple Rioja, fresh Bing cherries cloaked by aromatic vanilla. Bright red-cherry fruit on the palate, shaped by a brisk mix of fresh-fruit acidity and soft tannins, with a touch of vanilla joining the fruit in a medium-long finish. Food-friendly and appealing, with rational 13% alcohol. The label suggests pairing it with “pasta, poultry and fresh light cheeses, grilled chicken, small bites (light cheese, grilled vegetables.” We put it up against roasted vegetables, fennel, celery, onions, garlic and grilled fennel-scented Italian sausages (meatless "sausages," that is, "smart sausages" from LightLife).
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:02 am

Speaking of marriage and broken things, I wake up every morning to messages from a friend whose wife is dying. In December she didn't even know she was sick. By January 4th, there was "nothing we can do". They've been together for 53 years: perfect for each other from the very beginning in specific and far-reaching ways no one else on the planet could have been. The first thing we ever talked about was a '97 Bordeaux, so last night I opened my last in their honor. A Pontet Canet, which has stood up beautifully, and very satisfyingly so considering that the vintage was not held in high regard and neither, really, was Pontet Canet at the time (it having been through a reported slump, but back in fashion now). Subtle yet spicy, and perfect with a clove-brined rack of lamb.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:20 am

Jenise wrote:Speaking of marriage and broken things, I wake up every morning to messages from a friend whose wife is dying. In December she didn't even know she was sick. By January 4th, there was "nothing we can do". They've been together for 53 years: perfect for each other from the very beginning in specific and far-reaching ways no one else on the planet could have been. The first thing we ever talked about was a '97 Bordeaux, so last night I opened my last in their honor. A Pontet Canet, which has stood up beautifully, and very satisfyingly so considering that the vintage was not held in high regard and neither, really, was Pontet Canet at the time (it having been through a reported slump, but back in fashion now). Subtle yet spicy, and perfect with a clove-brined rack of lamb.

Hi Jenise,

What a moving post, that somehow reminds me of Gilead by Marilynne Robinson.

-> Pinchas
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:24 am

Hi Harry,

Since I had a flight to catch Saturday night, I went light on the wine, having some leftovers. However, I did open a bottle of Tzora Or 2011. This Geurztraminer based dessert wine is fabulous, with luscious honeyed apricots and spices. We should perhaps celebrate the end of an era with one of these bottles.

Best,
-> Pinchas