Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

GoodBye

no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

GoodBye

by Harry J » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:54 am

b'sd
Rogov last wrote in this forum a good bye and as my teacher in wine i will follow his style and write my goodbye to this column,
Grateful for the years of fun of having spent time in this forum dating back to Rogovs ramblings which probably is about 15 years.
The cup of wine is elevated in the home Friday night with an acknowledgement of a week gone by and with hopes for what is to come.
The intention of the thread was to attach to our hobby an added awareness beyond the physical element of the whats in our cup.It also had served as a place of reference for for peoples reviews of kosher wine.
But after Rogov died many stopped posting and then Mr,Geller started his facebook page and most of the rest followed him there.
Grateful to the few special people who stayed in these last months trying to keep our forum going.
Obviously there isn't an interest any more and it does sadden me like saying goodbye to an old friend.
H
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: GoodBye

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:55 am

Harry, I for one will miss your weekly posts. I loved the way you brought the weekly Torah portion and the enjoyment of the gift of wine together. Thank you for caring to do this for so long. I'm sad to see it end, but I understand that any regular chore can become a burden. Thank you, and wishing you the best on your continued journey.
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:11 pm

Harry, would it be unreasonable to invite you to continue the weekly Friday posts through Pesach as a kind of final celebration? I'd even commit to joining the discussions in the last weeks, something that I should have done before this. If not, I understand, but please give it some thought. I think it would give your longtime effort a more worthy sendoff. :)
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

by Harry J » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:54 pm

Mr Rogin Garr,it is and never was a burden. and your posting participation before sundown friday or after sundown Saturday would be a vinocultural honor
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:41 pm

Thank you, Harry! I may not post about a kosher wine, but I will post in a spirit of friendship and respect.
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:58 pm

I'm sorry to see it too. I've read your posts, Harry, just never contributed much because, not sharing the common religion, I didn't want to appear disrespectful. You've given me many things to think about though.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:27 pm

I appreciate Harry's reminder to enjoy tonight's wine thoughtfully, after reading and thinking about the Ki Tisa Torah portion for this day. What a reading that is, one of the longest, and covering a number of important metaphors.
http://www.reformjudaism.org/learning/t ... mpaign=TMT
Approaching our wine enjoyment thoughtfully and in context adds to the enjoyment to me. Thanks for all the years you've done this, Harry.

Campo Viejo 2014 Rioja Tempranillo ($12.99)
This is a dark reddish-purple wine, only slightly more red at the edge. Typical scents of simple Rioja, fresh Bing cherries cloaked by aromatic vanilla. Bright red-cherry fruit on the palate, shaped by a brisk mix of fresh-fruit acidity and soft tannins, with a touch of vanilla joining the fruit in a medium-long finish. Food-friendly and appealing, with rational 13% alcohol. The label suggests pairing it with “pasta, poultry and fresh light cheeses, grilled chicken, small bites (light cheese, grilled vegetables.” We put it up against roasted vegetables, fennel, celery, onions, garlic and grilled fennel-scented Italian sausages (meatless "sausages," that is, "smart sausages" from LightLife).
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:19 pm

Hi, Harry, I apologize for not posting sooner (life has been hectic lately). These things such as forums, projects, even institutions, have a finite lifespan. Just this winter, I had to give up a different group project that lasted for ten years but circumstances turned out that it became more of an obligation than a pleasure. And it was great while it lasted. Once that was clear, it was easy to walk away; the pleasure component was to precious to let it deteriorate.

It has been wonderful here for many years, from back in the day with Rogov to your current "leadership." If it is time to "hang 'em up," then so be it. This takes nothing away from the sense of accomplishment of providing wine info, feedback, and most important, your friendship throughout the years.

Even though I spend most of my time on the Facebook, I never forget that here is where I learned the most of what I know about kosher wine. So my debt is to you, Robin Garr for supporting the forum, and to Rogov. Thanks,

Isaac

PS I am game to keeping the forum going until Passover. This week, we drank the 2013 Dalton Estate Petite Sirah. Certainly nice fruit, and first "attack" is just fine, but then some heat, alcohol(?) takes over the finish. A bit disappointing, because I do not think it means just giving more time in the cellar.
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:53 pm

I guess I'm never in the know. As usual I didn't know Gabriel had anything special going. But I don't mind staying on here. I also know that every project cones to an end sooner or ,later, and, Harrry, yours has gone on longer than most. Enjoy your "retirement".

2012 Four Gates Avaya cabernet franc. As eccentric as the owner/winemaker's personality, good flavors but with more than the usual herbaceoisness.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

pesach

by Harry J » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:03 pm

really crazy
Holiday which has 4 cups and in WeeksEnd thread noone is there
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

Re: pesach

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:47 am

Harry J wrote:really crazy
Holiday which has 4 cups and in WeeksEnd thread noone is there

I apologize for my own lack of a post this week, Harry ... with other calls on my attention, we had no time for wine Friday or Saturday. It's terrible, I know! :)