Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

The Four Cups

no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

The Four Cups

by Harry J » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:50 am

b'sd
The nicest way to go with the 4 Cups Pesach seder is red,non mevushal.Everything else is also fine.Just stating the highest level. Really interesting how some people during the year post pictures of 4,5 or more bottles for a Shabbat and then it comes the one night of the year where for beautifying religous purposes the highest level is the aforementioned and all of a sudden its too heavey and its too much alcohol, blah blah blah.Bottom line even grape juice is ok.
A Happy Pesach
H
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: The Four Cups

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:48 am

Thanks, Harry. :)
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

Re: The Four Cups

by Pinchas L » Tue May 09, 2017 1:15 am

Hi Harry,

A somewhat belated response to this post, but I'll still take a stab at it.

As has become my wont of late, I use a rose' for the first two cups. This year I split the honors between the Matar Rose' 2016 and the Tabor Rose 2016. Matar's version is made of Grenache. The color is a very pale pink, and the taste is subtle. Interestingly, the alcohol level is a robust 13.5%. I recall the fruit being subdued, with perhaps notes of red grapefruit detectable. On the other hand, the Tabor is made of Barbera, and surprisingly, although the alcohol level is a restrained 11.5%, the fruit feels very mature and lively, and it even has a bright bubblegum burst of flavor.

For the remaining cups, I went with more substantial reds: One was the BR Cohn Trestle Glen Cabernet Sauvingon 2013 and another was the Matar Petit Verdot 2012. Both choices were superb. The BR Cohn exhibits fabulous bright Californian fruit, coupled with a judicious amount of oak influences. I find this wine to be a great ambassador for Californian Cab, displaying the seductive pleasures it can provide. The Petit Verdot on the other hand, was more subdued, but perhaps more complex than the BR Cohn, with fruit that is darker and with tannins that are bolder.

Best Regards,
-> Pinchas