Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Mistakes on Higher Plains / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:19 pm

b'sd
How can we move beyond ourselves. we need to exist.after all in the name of self esteem self confidence,etc.,etc.
and when I'm criticizing you .. a level where its totally for you and I have no self invested..wow ,totally off the chart,another galaxy.my criticism and complaints are always heavily tinged with colors of me ,But every now and the we get treated to great people who can take one on the chin for the rest of us,those are giants!
Have a good one; H
no avatar
User

YossiD

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:17 am

Re: Mistakes on Higher Plains / WeeksEnd wine

by YossiD » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:52 pm

Just looking at the night sky I easily move beyond myself and feel oh so insignificant in the overall scheme of things. And then I look around me and realize how much better off the world would be without humans at all. After all, no other inhabitants of this planet do so much damage. And then, of course, there are those exceptional individuals who renew my faith in humankind.

Fortunately, some of these exceptional individuals are also winemakers!

We were invited to a pool party on Friday afternoon (ha'mechaye). I brought a bottle of Soreq Viognier (2012 I think) that went more or less ok with everything.

Shabbat lunch was cold salmon steaks with Tishbi Chardonnay Estate 2014 (unoaked). An ideal match, though an ice bucket would have come in handy as we ate in the garden.

Shavua tov.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:25 pm

Hi,Friday night very much enjoyed Engel zinfandel made with grapes from California.Perhaps can be considered a good representative of the variety.By day a pleasant surprise.Carmel selected Mediteranean.A nice blend with much more character than I was expecting.H
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:33 am

Dinner at a friend's house. 2007 Bokobsa Chateuneuf-du-Pape. Tasted like mainly grenache and mourvedre but in any case, not a lot there (or perhaps not a lot left). Would not show well in a tasting of C-d-Ps.
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:22 am

I seem to remember some talk about this Australian white in this forum a few years ago. It's a pleasant wine and a good value.

d’Arenberg 2014 “The Hermit Crab” McLaren Vale Viognier-Marsanne ($17.99)

An aromatic white blend of Viognier (74%) and Marsanne (26%), with a portion of the Viognier spending time in French and American oak barrels to add tannic backbone, this is a fresh and aromatic wine. Clear, bright straw color with glints of gold, it offers typical Viognier floral scents at first, quickly joined by notes of peach and musky melon and a whiff of spice. Full-bodied, 13.3% alcohol, but structured with crisp acidity, its flavors follow the nose, stone fruit, orange peel, and a lemon-squirt of acidity in a very long finish. It’s a complex and interesting wine, a great buy for fans of aromatic whites. U.S. importer: Old Bridge Cellars, Napa, Calif.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:27 pm

Hi Harry,

In lieu of a white I had the Dalton Alma Coral 2016, a rose' blend of Grenache and Pinot Gris that is unconventional in more ways than one, having spent about six months in oak barrels. This complex rose' is as light on the tongue as it is in color, dancing on the tongue's tip and blushing while doing so, such that it is not heavy on the gut nor guttural to the head. The flavors are mostly hints of watermelon and strawberry sprinkled over its tannic backbone. Then, I went for the Hajdu Grenache 2011, the medium bodied wine now features a bright core of cherries. Gone is the complementing sanguine iodine I recalled, that showcased the adult side of this variety, exhibiting its potential.

Best Regards,
-> Pinchas