Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

When You go to Battle/WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:32 pm

b"sd

A soldier. War. Battle. weMay we never know of it.Yet we do.
On 3 levels.
In the arena of what we should and what we shouldnt.
Within the level of allowed
we have our individual challenges
On on the level of the cards qe dealt how do we deal.
Have a good one; H
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: When You go to Battle/WeeksEnd wine

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:35 am

Harry, hi ...

Gundlach-Bundschu 2015 Sonoma Coast Estate Vineyard Dry Gewürztraminer ($20)

Transparent, light straw color, unusual for a variety generally known for its pinkish to light-red skin that often imparts a rich, even rosy color. There’s nothing light about the aromas or flavors, though, which show characteristic Gewurz boldness. I pick up only a whiff of the Chinese-dessert litchees that often signal Gewurz; here they’re shy behind a more in-your-face sense of stone fruit - peaches and apricots. Stone fruit and litchees carry over on the palate in a bright, bold flavor that’s bone-dry - a rare thing in a Gewurz - with tart meyer lemon and “rainwater” minerality joining in. 14.3% alcohol is a bit pushy for a white, but it works in this wine, with zingy lemon curd lingering in a very long finish. Gewurz is often proposed as a match for Asian fare, and Gundlach-Bundschu’s website reflects this wisdom. We think the notion is legendary, based on Gewurz translating to German as “spicy.” Asia is huge and diverse. No wine will match it all. Still, not-too-fiery stir-fries should work, especially with chicken or fish. In Alsace, they love it with aromatic cheeses, and that will certainly work. We enjoyed it with white-bean, potato and tomato soup.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:36 pm

hi. it was an ella valley everred merlot/cab '14. currently mouth coating tannings with not much fruit to me perception. H
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:29 pm

It's too bad when we look forward to a nice wine with dinner and find it not giving. There is probably a life lesson in that, though!
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:46 am

2008 BR Cohn kosher Sonoma cabernet - delightful - and 2013 Gamla merlot - pleasant stuff.
no avatar
User

YossiD

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:17 am

by YossiD » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:36 pm

Invited to Shabbat dinner and brought a Teperberg Inspire Integrage 2014 (strange names in this series) - GSM + Merlot. Well balanced with medium fruit and body. Went over quite well.

Someone else brought an Or Haganuz Shiraz 2014, that was just plain poor. No body, no character ... nothing. Educational if nothing else.

While writing this I'm sipping Barkan Classic Petite Sirah. An inexpensive (<NIS 30/$9 on sale) supermarket wine that's just plain pleasant to drink after a day at the office. True value for money.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:30 pm

Hi Harry,

Somehow I ended up opening four bottles: two whites and two reds, of which two were Israeli and two were Californian. My first glass was from the Tzora Judean Hills White 2013; a varietal Chardonnay. I enjoyed its crispness and the range of fruit it offered. Then I had the Tzora Judean Hills Red 2011. The blend of, mostly, Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah, is vibrant with expressive fruit. On the following day, the white was the Hagafen "Dry" Riesling 2014. Its flavors are bold, mostly in the citrus range, and with plenty of acid to provide focus and precision. And the red was the Hagafen Cabernet Franc 2012, having bright fruit and matching tannins, complemented by streaks of green grass and floral rose.

Best Regards,
-> Pinchas