Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Keeping the Spark Alive

no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

Keeping the Spark Alive

by Pinchas L » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:35 pm

Hi Everyone,

Taking inspiration from my personal situation, I'll post in honor of Harry's long service for this community.
Last weekend I was debating what wine to open. I felt like celebrating. The circumstances were that I was laid off Wednesday, December 20th, after 18 years of employment. It wasn't expected and it puts me in a financial bind, but I was determined to celebrate the good times I had there, and the even better times I hope to have. The two wines in question were from the recent shipment of library wines from Hagafen: The Prix Syrah 2008 and the Hagafen Merlot 2000. Although, the vintage of the Merlot coincides with the start of my employment, the Syrah dates from the aftermath of the financial crisis, when the company for which I worked almost went under. I opted to go with the Syrah and save the Merlot for a week when my emotions are coming under control. And besides, the Syrah seemed to signify renewal whereas the Merlot a celebration of the past. I was in the mood and need of thinking forward, with retrospection coming at another time.

The Syrah is still succulent, fresh and immensely smooth. I didn't sense as much spice as I'd expect in a Syrah, but the red fruit was exquisite. I also had the Hagafen Dry Riesling 2014, a wine that is loaded with acid, providing wonderful citrus flavors.

Best,
-> Pinchas
Last edited by Pinchas L on Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Keeping the Spark Alive

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:35 pm

I'm glad you posted, Pinchas. I've missed Harry's gentle weekly connection of the Torah portion and the wine of the evening. Nice notes! They make me want a glass.

On the other hand, I regret hearing of your layoff. That's always bad news, and I wish you a speedy path to a new journey.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:18 am

Robin Garr wrote:I'm glad you posted, Pinchas. I've missed Harry's gentle weekly connection of the Torah portion and the wine of the evening. Nice notes! They make me want a glass.

On the other hand, I regret hearing of your layoff. That's always bad news, and I wish you a speedy path to a new journey.

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. As for Harry, I miss him, too, and my posts cannot replace his.....

-> Pinchas
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:24 pm

Thanks Pinchas for keepig it alive.May you see good tidings soon.
Several weeks ago had very much enjoyed galil Alon'12.Then recently purchased a couple of Alon'13.Doesnt compare.Will eait a while on the other btl,who knows. H