Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Names / WeeksEnd wine

no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Names / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:02 pm

b"sd
H2O. It tells us more than the word water..it defines its essence. when we know that kind of information and we then have desire, we can use what we have to go beyond just what it is.
Have a good one; H
no avatar
User

YossiD

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:17 am

Re: Names / WeeksEnd wine

by YossiD » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:59 pm

Save H2O, drink wine!

And during a recent visit to South Africa, I saw a sign (at a winery) that said "Don't cry over spilt milk ... it could have been wine." A true sentiment indeed.

Shabbat dinner was Bar Maor Red Moon 2012 (Merlot-Cab Franc) with tongue, mushrooms sauteed with onions & red peppers, steamed broccoli, and roasted Jerusalem artichokes. Considering the character of Bar Maor's Merlot (unlike anyone else's) it was a lovely match.

Another glass with some cheese on Shabbat afternoon - the extra time added smoothness to the wine.

Hope everyone's keeping warm and dry. We need the H2O, but let's keep it outside.

Shavua Tov
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

Tel Aviv, Israel

by YoelA » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:25 pm

Been spending my time in the kosher wine forum ion Facebook but there's no reason I can't post here as well, for old times sake unless Harry tells me there are only 2 or 3 of us who follow this site.

Last Shabbat was the 2013 Yatir Mt. Amasa, 49% syrah, 20 % each cabernet and merlot, and the rest petit verdot (which has suddenly begun to appear in many Israeli wines. I wonder where they're getting it). Anyway the wine is very nice, unusually fruity for a wine that's half syrah, good acid, well balanced and on sale.
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:33 pm

YoelA wrote:Been spending my time in the kosher wine forum ion Facebook but there's no reason I can't post here as well, for old times sake unless Harry tells me there are only 2 or 3 of us who follow this site.

I'm glad to see you, Yoel! We'll see what Harry says, but I can tell you that these weekly posts usually get between 300 and 400 views. If you look at the forum on a desktop computer you can see those numbers, although if you read on a phone or tablet, they may not show.

We enjoyed two Spanish reds, Altovinum 2014 “Evodia” Varietal de Aragon Red Wine and Torres 2013 “Altos Ibéricos” Rioja Crianza. They were both okay, although I don't think either will rank among my wines of the year for 2018. It's early going, though!
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:27 pm

Hi Harry,

So after celebrating a week ago with the Prix Syrah 2008, I did follow that up with the Hagafen Merlot 2000. Not that all the conditions I listed last time were met, but I was just in the mood. This wine is indeed a treat and demands reflection. There is still enough fruit to keep it together; yet what grabs my attention are the tertiary flavors as well as those that come with age, such as the hints of raisins and the dried flowers. It is smooth, yet the tannins still grip you. The white I had along with it--the Midbar Chenin Blanc 2012--was lost in its shadow, as good as it was.

Best,
-> Pinchas
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:29 pm

YoelA wrote:Been spending my time in the kosher wine forum ion Facebook but there's no reason I can't post here as well, for old times sake unless Harry tells me there are only 2 or 3 of us who follow this site.

Last Shabbat was the 2013 Yatir Mt. Amasa, 49% syrah, 20 % each cabernet and merlot, and the rest petit verdot (which has suddenly begun to appear in many Israeli wines. I wonder where they're getting it). Anyway the wine is very nice, unusually fruity for a wine that's half syrah, good acid, well balanced and on sale.

Hi Yoel,

You know you're welcome here. And I particularly always like your posts and the broader perspective you bring. Please continue posting.

Best,
-> Pinchas