Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Song/ WeeksEnd wine

no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Song/ WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:44 am

bsd
Seems like sometimes we just dont see how its possible to get to the other side. It seems so difficult.
As difficult as splitting a sea.Which actually is an oxymoron,cause if you can create it you can split it,but thats another conversation.
In any case if we make it we burst out in song.Not just from relief,that would be merely be spontaneous.Rather from a level of trust and belief of who we qre and where were heading.
Have a good one; H
no avatar
User

YossiD

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:17 am

Re: Song/ WeeksEnd wine

by YossiD » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:31 pm

Lots of guests and lots of wine for Shabbat dinner.

Red beet and carrot soup paired nicely with Domaine Netofa White (Chenin Blanc) 2016. When that ran out I brought the Two Oceans Sauvignon Blanc 2017 (South Africa) that'd I'd used to cook the mushrooms. Two different contrasts with the soup, both successful.

The main course was beef braised in the slow cooker (such a time saver) and roasted chicken with the aforementioned mushrooms, guacamole, roasted cauliflower, roasted Jerusalem artichokes, and a salad of red peppers and celery (home grown). The accompanying wines were a French Bordeaux - Chateau Maucaillou Moulis 2010 (complements of my step son who works at Derech Hayain), and a very local (Pardess Hanna) almost Bordeaux blend - Dipon Allegro 2008 (Cabernet, Merlot, and a touch of Carignan). Both went very well with the fare.

Desert was fresh strawberries, citrus, pomegranates, and homemade almond cookies. The wine was a pre-release bottle of Bar Maor Rosé 2017 made from 100% Marselan. The acidity of the rosé held its own quite nicely with the the citrus, and the slight bitterness complemented my wife's excellent almond cookies very well indeed. The Rosé was not such a great match for the strawberries since it has distinctive strawberry flavors of its own, which got lost because of the fruit. Fortunately there was still some of the Sauvignon Blanc left to take up the slack when the rosé ran out, and it's light, refreshing character was an ideal counterpoint to the strawberries.

Altogether a very successful evening on all three fronts: friends, food, and wine.

Shavua Tov
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:48 am

hi, psagot sinai. very solid quaffer.even holds up to thr next day. segals unfiltered '11; totally dont comprehend the meaning behind the price tag. galil mt shiraz'16,this is a good onee.H
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

Tel Aviv, Israel

by YoelA » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:27 am

Last Shabbat I decided to try the Yarden 2T, which I have seen around from time to time but I had kept off trying it. This was the 2014 vintage
The wine was fairly rough when opened but the next day or two it had opened up to show good black fruit (but it's not any kind of fruit-forward wine). It has more structure and depth than most non-kosher wines from these grapes that I have drunk in recent years but I cannot tell what might happen (if anything much) with some aging.
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:37 am

Harry, hi ... I'm a little late responding, but this sweeter-styled Sherry is worth the wait. We liked it quite a bit.

Lustau East India Solera Cream Sherry ($31.99)

Clear, dark bronze color with flashes of gold. Attractive, rather complex Sherry aromas, a base of walnuts with brown sugar, caramel and touches of meyer lemon. The flavor is consistent, flavors of dried plums joining the scents; it's distinctly sweet from the Pedro Ximenez but adds plenty of steely, palate-freshening acidity and an edge of tannin to keep the sweetness fully contained in a sturdy structure. A blend of 80 percent Palomino and 20 percent Pedro Ximénez, it's 20% alcohol, a standard level for fortified Sherries. The winery suggests serving it with light desserts and cakes, creamy cheeses or even foie gras. And, they say, "try it also on the rocks with a slice of orange, simply delicious."