Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

TN for Weekend of August 18th, 2018

by Pinchas L » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:25 am

Although I had no special reason to pop the cork on a bottle of champagne, I opted for the Hagafen Brut Rose 2015. I'm not sure whether this is 100% pinot noir, or whether 20% of it is chardonnay, either way, it exhibits gorgeous color that borders on the flirtatious. It assaults the tongue with a burst of strawberry, flaunting its charms. But just about as I'm tempted to shrug it off as crossing the line between suggestive and salacious, it reigns in its exuberance with dryness, toast and yeast, while still permitting glimpses of playful cotton candy to escape. I've had this wine about half a year ago, and I don't recall being as enamored with it then, as now. I also wonder whether this is a bubbly that will retain it's charms for another five years. I followed the sparkling wine with a cabernet sauvignon/syrah blend, the Tzorah Shoresh 2010. While in many ways similar to the bottle of Midbar Red 44 of the same vintage, I had a week ago, exhibiting the ripeness typical of the region, it offers more in the way of silky tannins and less in the way of roughness than that wine. And while they both sport peppery notes from the syrah, the Tzora wraps it in silk.

Best Regards,
Pinchas