Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Not wine-related: so what is a Sabbath elevator?

by Jenise » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:35 pm

At John McCain's funeral, American senator and observant Jew Joe Lieberman spoke humorously about the tribulations McCain experienced travelling with Joe on the Sabbath--missed restaurant dinners for in-room dining, and the like. One thing he mentioned was in riding in elevators: the tedium of having to stop at every floor drove McCain nuts. This is brand new to me. Can someone explain?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: Not wine-related: so what is a Sabbath elevator?

by Jenise » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:33 pm

Got an answer--thanks!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:30 am

Jenise wrote:Got an answer--thanks!

Would love to learn the explanation you got.

Best,
Pinchas
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:46 am

Pinchas, apparently some (or all) elevators have an automatic setting which will cause them to stop at every floor. This means the rider isn't required to actually push a button to activate the elevator--that would be a violation (though riding it is not).
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:59 pm

Jenise wrote:Pinchas, apparently some (or all) elevators have an automatic setting which will cause them to stop at every floor. This means the rider isn't required to actually push a button to activate the elevator--that would be a violation (though riding it is not).

By extension, Jenise, there are those that claim that all trains are "Sabbath Trains", because their stops are preset. Although, in practice few if any Orthodox Jews use trains on the Sabbath. My response is partially a lure to get Harry back on the group to set me straight and partially a piece of trivia I thought you'd find interesting.

Best Regards and Shana Tova,
Pinchas
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:48 pm

Pinchas L wrote:...By extension, Jenise, there are those that claim that all trains are "Sabbath Trains", because their stops are preset. Although, in practice few if any Orthodox Jews use trains on the Sabbath. My response is partially a lure to get Harry back on the group to set me straight and partially a piece of trivia I thought you'd find interesting.

Best Regards and Shana Tova,
Pinchas

Great story, Pinchas! Shana Tova to you and yours.
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:00 pm

Thanks, Pinchas. We had a lighthearted conversation about this last night with a friend who is Jewish, as I admitted that to me there are some inconsistencies. "Yes!," she acknowledge with a broad and happy smile, "it's very inconsistent!" She recounted some amusing stories about the procedures for turning on and off lights at the orthodox grade school she went to, which prompted her husband, who is not Jewish, to discuss the pro's and con's of tearing off the sheets of toilet paper anticipated for the Sabbath and why...well, I won't go there. Men!