Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

TN for Weekend of November 17th, 2018

by Pinchas L » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:23 pm

I sampled another wine from the relatively new Five Stones Winery, the Nobility 2016, that's a Bordeaux style blend. I recall reading that the people behind this winery are from the restaurant scene, and that might help explain what the wines are like. The wine was a nice complement to the meal, but when I think of the wine on its own, I find myself struggling to come up with any vivid descriptors. The wine is smooth, with well integrated wood and tannins. It almost feels like the winemakers took the extra steps to keep the wine in the shadows. I felt the same way last week, when I had one of their whites, though in that case the lack of acidity, went a bit too far for me. I happen to have tasted two glasses of the Yarden Cabernet Sauvignon 2014, too, over the weekend. And after a long time not having had a regular bottling from the Yarden winery, I was surprised at the wine's smoothness, as I was expecting more oak and tannins. In many ways these two wines were quite similar to each other. Finally, I had a bottle of the Recanati Gris de Marselan 2017. The rose is fruity, but is on the light side. I am somewhat annoyed at the winery for putting contradicting information on their label; describing the wine as being done in the "Saignee/bleeding" method, but then proceeding to elaborate on that with what amounts to "limited skin maceration". Based on its taste, I'd venture to say that it was indeed done in the "bleeding" method.

Best Regards,
Pinchas