Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

TN for Weekend of May 18th, 2019

by Pinchas L » Sun May 19, 2019 9:33 pm

Sipping from another wine by Comuna Cellars, the High Vibes White Wine 2018--a blend of Malvasia Bianca and Chardonnay--the association that comes to mind is of goat kefir. I don't mean that the wine tastes like milk, but that Comuna's approach to winemaking results in wines that are set apart from their peers as goat kefir is from your commercial cow's milk. Perhaps its the native yeasts combined with minimal intervention that causes my mind to associate it with goat milk containing active cultures. It's funky. It's interesting. It comes at you from unexpected angles. I expected fruitiness up front with a kick of acidity, but got neither. It's smokey--in color and texture--and it takes hold of your palate with pincers of skin, yeast and barrel.
The red was the Shoresh 2014, a velvety wine offering refined fruitiness with a tinge of eucalyptus. And I say eucalyptus not as a euphemism for excess alcohol, but as a descriptor for a secondary layer of green and tangy flavors to complement the refined fruit.

Best regards,
Pinchas