The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

STN: Five Amari (Bittered Spirits and Wine)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

STN: Five Amari (Bittered Spirits and Wine)

by Hoke » Fri May 26, 2017 7:54 pm

Five amari (bittered wines and spirits) that I love.

Cocchi Americano Rosa

The lightest, brightest, most engaging of amari is this aromatic concoction from the famed Cocchi Vermouth diTorino producers. It borders on the addictive. Lightly structured, perfectly balanced between the opposite tensions of bitter and sweet, the Rosa uses two unexpected grapes for its base: Brachetto, most often used for deep pink sparkling wine, and Malvasia Nera, a little known grape with pungent aromatics and fat textures.

Cocchi makes a more traditional “Americano” aperitif as well. The terminology is a bit confusing because there is a cocktail dubbed the Americano, a combination of Campari bitter liqueur, sweet vermouth and soda, and then there’s the Italian aperitif, also dubbed Americano. Cocchi Americano Rosa is like neither of these; it is a fragrant step beyond with its beguiling aromatics.

Although splendid in its versatility as a cocktail ingredient, it stands alone as an aperitif. Pour a healthy serving of Rosa on the rocks, add a twist of grapefruit peel, and that’s all you need. If you wish, you can add a splash of soda, or a dollop of Prosecco. Fair warning: this is a beguiling aperitif; you may well fall in love with it instantly, as I did.

Amaro Montenegro
The first time I had this amaro was in Italy. I was enthralled. Distribution in the U.S. was haphazard at best, or non-existent at worst, so it faded in my memories over time Then, in Canada while teaching a spirits certification class, I saw that lovely distinctive bottle on a shelf, rejoiced, and renewed my acquaintance with this lovely---and admittedly on the sweet side---amaro dominated by succulent bittersweet orange. Straight or in a cocktail---craft bartenders love it---Amaro Montenegro is one truly fine sip.

Averna
This, more than any other on the list, is closely associated with experience and memory. A group I associated with professionally, mostly from New York, had established a tradition---who knows how it began---of drinking shots of Averna from Sicily after copious dinners. If there was a bottle in the place, we would empty it. If there wasn’t, we’d often smuggle in our own. And empty it.

The group has long dispersed but my affection for Averna has not diminished. I think of it as my “root beer of amaro.”

Barolo Chinato
(First, it's pronounced “key-NAH-to”. The CH in Italian is signifies a hard K.)
In the Piedmont region of Italy this complex bittered beverage made by blending selected botanicals in a barrel of Barolo (nebbiolo) was traditionally reserved for the frugal locals for their own enjoyment.

The wine base gives it a lower alcohol profile along with rich flavors of one of the most noble grape varieties; the local botanicals add not just the bittering agents that make it chinato (bitter quinine) but a kaleidoscope of herbs and spice, and the barrel aging mellows and rounds out the amaro with notes of vanilla and sweet caramel.

Barolo Chinato is usually served as a digestif in small amounts after a sumptuous dinner; it is a perfect contemplative moment, sitting on the Belvedere, well-fed and satisfied, looking over the rolling foothills, sipping a glass of Barolo Chinato.

There is a remarkably good American version of Chinato as well, made by winemaker Patrick Taylor of Cana's Feast in Oregon. It is dubbed Chinato de Erbetti (Wine with bittered herbs), and is made from Washington state nebbiolo wine mixed with Patrick's secret botanical formula.

Nonino Quintessentia
Is there love at first sight? I don’t know. But there’s definitely love at first taste with the Nonino Quintessentia. I place this amaro in a class by itself. It’s not the most powerful, the sweetest, or most bitter, but it is a superbly balanced blend of ever-changing aromas and flavors, sometimes delicate and ephemeral, sometimes unmistakable in their clarity and precision.

The Nonino family of Friuli in northwestern Italy is most famous for their distillations of grappa, having elevated that formerly disreputable rough spirit into an art form with single variety grapes from some of the finest vineyards. They also make a niche article, a honey brandy of sorts called “agrumi,” made from the beehives situated next to different trees bordering the vineyards, more akin to a delicate perfume than anything else, with subtle echoes of the orange blossoms, acacia trees and other plants surrounding the vines.

But their masterpiece is the Quintessentia, complex beyond belief and endlessly fascinating with an aromatic and textural base of grape distillate, selected botanicals from the mountains that fringe Friuli, and the smooth mellow glow from oak aging. Quintessentia is just as good an aperitif as a digestif, and versatile in cocktails.

Try a Quintessentia Manhattan: simply add a small amount of this marvelous elixir to your Manhattan (whiskey, sweet vermouth and bitters), or replace the sweet vermouth with the Quinessentia to magically transform it to a multi-layered, multi-flavored, dynamic cocktail that reveals new facets of flavor with each sip.

Amari is fun to discuss with devoted spirit fans. Everybody has their own mix of favorites; the balances of bitterness, botanical flavors and sweetness are highly variable and endlessly debated, and it all comes down to what you individually prefer. Amongst spirit professionals, Fernet Branca is hugely popular---it’s often called the “bartender’s handshake”---but to some it is most reminiscent of mud and tar. Another controversial, but often strangely charming, amaro is the “rabarbaro”, based on the bitter rhubarb. Yet another is the bitter aperitif Cynar, based on artichokes, and various cousins based on cardoons and “Blessed Thistle.”

You simply may not like the excessive bitterness of amari. Many people don’t. If you haven’t tried them before, you may not care for your first taste. On the other hand, you may find a lifelong fascination in a pungently complex and hugely satisfying amaro.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: STN: Five Amari (Bittered Spirits and Wine)

by Rahsaan » Fri May 26, 2017 8:47 pm

Thanks for this. I see you're keeping it a bit broad and combining producers (Nonino) and categories (Chinato).

I'm a big fan of amari, although unfortunately the local selections in NC leave much to be desired. Which means I bring back a bottle or two from trips, but usually have a fairly limited selection at home. That said, I have delicious stuff. So am not complaining!

Right now I have the Caffo Calabria Vecchio Amaro del Capo, which is pretty standard, not too bitter, but certainly far from cloying. Straight pleasure and very delicious.

I also have the Varnelli Amaro dell'Erborista, which is a bit more distinctive. Unfiltered and sweetened with honey, the light color and hazy texture already let you know that it is special.

Technically not an amaro, but (close enough), I also have the Aggazzoti Nocino Riserva Notte di San Giovanni which is dark rich bitter oxidative nutty goodness.

Last time I was in Nyc at CSW, they mentioned having aged amari, including some from the 1970s. Any experiences with such? Opinions? Like wine, I suppose the flavors and texture meld into mellow harmony. Although I was not sure how much 'evolution' one could expect with a spirit.
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Fri May 26, 2017 9:24 pm

I love that Erborista, as well as the regular Varnelli Sibilla, which is a little less extreme.

I know you were asking Hoke, but on the bottle-aged spirits front: there's a bar in NYC (Pouring Ribbons) with a vintage Chartreuse program (in half-ounce pours) and I was pretty impressed by the differences.

I was also pretty impressed by the hangover, but that's another story.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri May 26, 2017 11:29 pm

Rahsaan: Yep, I kept it broad and loose, since most of the folks reading this are [probably not familiar with the range of the category; also because that is how they are seen by the people in the biz: a category united only by the inherent bitter qualities that are added.

I didn't want to go into the china/cinchona/quinine versus the gentiane and the wormwood and various forms of artemisium, because this was intended to be an intro (as well as my favorites.)

To anyone who knows these amari, they comprehend I prefer those on the lighter end of the scale. Also, my usage for amari may differ from yours, as I like them as aperitifs, digestifs, 'trou normand', or as cocktail ingredients, and look for those multiple uses.

Varnelli is excellent. Del Capo is some serious stuff too. If you want a softer version, wine-based, there's always Capelletti, which is, all things considered, fairly mild. On the other hand, Capelletti makes the Sfumato, which is a staggering oak aged rabarbaro---someone tasted it and quipped "It's like sucking down amaro through a barbecue grill."

Patchen: I considered a Nocino, but there just wasn't a way I could fit it into this article/category. Hell, I already transgressed in the previous article on Liqueurs when I cited Bigallet China-China because it properly belonged in the Amaro category---but I don't think of it as amaro (even though, yeah, probably technically it is). I also don't think of Picon as amaro, because the dominant characteristic for me is the pungent, aromatic orange. So I think of it as an orange liqueur that's bittersweet.

The one I just don't get---and an awful lot of my pro friends do,enthusiastically---is Fernet Branca. Stuff tastes like gelatinous mud mixed with a bit of fresh asphalt. On the other hand, there is a Mexican Fernet Vallet, softer, rounder, less stark on the palate, and I like that. So it's not Fernet: it's that particular Fernet.

Hey, I can quibble with the best of them.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri May 26, 2017 11:30 pm

Patchen Markell wrote:... a bar in NYC (Pouring Ribbons) with a vintage Chartreuse program (in half-ounce pours) and I was pretty impressed by the differences..

That is something!

I can't say I know much about Chartreuse. Although that is probably something to fix!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri May 26, 2017 11:35 pm

Hoke wrote:The one I just don't get---and an awful lot of my pro friends do,enthusiastically---is Fernet Branca. Stuff tastes like gelatinous mud mixed with a bit of fresh asphalt..

Agreed. It's so widely available that it can be a tempting respite of something relaxing in an otherwise unremarkable bar. But it's not! Too fierce in all the wrong ways.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri May 26, 2017 11:58 pm

Patchen:

I know Pouring Ribbons. Great bar.

Did you go to Amor y Amargo. Your kind of place, I think. A good friend worked there for a long while (Lindsey).

You have outdone me. Most I've had with Chartreuse is the Verte and Jaune, the Aged Chartreuse, and the VEP.

I've told this story before but I ordered a Last Word and the bartender used VEP instead of regular Chartreuse. Thing is, the cocktail did not taste right. The balance was totally off.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat May 27, 2017 1:40 am

Hoke,

Nice intro piece. But I'll ask some more specific questions, if I may:

1. No mention of Campari. Not bitter enough for the category? :wink:

2. What do you think of Santa Maria al Monte? I fell in love with it, and then, about halfway through a bottle, I fell right out again. I'm having trouble going near it anymore.

3. Now, I really like Braulio. It is lean (meaning, not very sweet) but full of alpine flowers. Do you like this one?

Jeff
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Sat May 27, 2017 12:15 pm

Still haven't gotten to Amor y Amargo, Hoke! It's on the list. Last weekend I tried to get dinner at the Nomad bar, but no dice, so I wound up eating at the bar at Maialino, which has a more than respectable amaro list. After some conversation, the bartender pulled out an off-list bottle of something they were sampling, called "Roots," I think, made in the US. (Virginia? The Carolinas? I don't recall.) An intriguing combination of elements -- bitter and a little minty at one end, with round nutmeg and vanilla at the other end. It was a touch too sweet for my taste, but it did occur to me that it would mix very well with rum.

cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat May 27, 2017 1:35 pm

Patchen: Yeah, Maialino doesn't suck.

Roots--- There are actually two "Roots", one made in Greece (!) and one in Philadelphia, made by Art In The Age. Roots-Greece bills itself as a sweet liqueur and apparently has multiple flavors. Roots-Art In The Age bill itself as a "root tea" liqueur similar to the root beers and sarsaparilla drinks of the American Colonies. Roots-Art In The Age is pretty tasty, if you like root beer. And I do.

I'm sure you know of Hum!, Adam Seeger's liqueur made in Chicago. (Adam is also the guy that pwned the whole cocktail world by "resurrecting" a drink that technically never existed, when he was at the Seelbach Hotel in Louisville. He later fessed that he made the whole thing up because he wanted to have a "heritage" drink for the old Hotel.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat May 27, 2017 1:52 pm

Jeff: I appreciate the quality of Santa Maria al Monte, but I'm not the biggest fan. It is wonderfully complex, fernet-style but more rounded and nuanced than Branca, a little lighter, and is a good balance of bitter, sweet. and herbal notes.

My problem is the 'signature' of al Monte is a pretty strong mint finish. I'm okay with mint, but I prefer it in small quantities (as in a Mojito). I don't care for Mentas. And the mint in al Monte is just a bit too much for me.

Campari? Yes, I have it, and yes, I drink it, primarily in cocktails. But honestly, there are enough good alternatives and riffs on the bitter orange liqueur thing that Campari is not the necessity it used to be for me. Hence, it didn't make the top tier for preferred.

Plenty of other enticing bitters out there. Meletti 1870 is great. Aperol is what I consider the lightest of the mix, although to me it's like soda pop because it's usually served in the Aperol Spritz, which can be a llittle sweet and sticky. Luxardo makes a good amaro.

Other than the Cocchi Rosa, I really didn't go into the Italian americano versions out there. Cocchi is clearly the best standard americano bitter; and Cocchi Rosa is in a class all by itself. It may be the most perfect aperitif for me. (Cocchi Rosa, rocks, expressed twist of grapefruit peel, soda if you're so inclined. Seriously doesn't get any better than that.)

Braulio? Great amaro. Came to it late in my drinking life, but was impressed when I had it. Suspect in a few years it may noodge up to the top five.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat May 27, 2017 2:00 pm

Jeff: Another thing---- I suspect you would like Zirbenz, a wonderful concoction made from the fruit of the stone pine in the mountains of Austria. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it, as I'm not normally a pine needle chewer.

Also from Austria, and slightly out of category, but what the hell, is Nux Alpina, a delicious green walnut liqueur made by the Purkhart family (famous in beverage circles).

You could get both and make your sweetie wear lederhosen and the funny cap with the brush in it while you have a party!
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat May 27, 2017 2:06 pm

Patchen: Based on an earlier comment of yours (and knowing a little of your palate preferences), you should look for Rancio---or more properly, Rancio Sec de Roussillon. It is similar initially to Maury and Banyuls, but allowed to mature for quite a long time, until it reduces and oxidates into something truly magnificent. It's not for everyone, and can be quite controversial. It comes from the Catalan culture of Roussillon and Catalunya, before they became France and Spain.

Haus Alpenz is the importer and I believe they have a strong presence in the Chicago market, so you should be able to find some (although they are in minimal quantities).
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat May 27, 2017 2:55 pm

Hoke wrote:Jeff: Another thing---- I suspect you would like Zirbenz, a wonderful concoction made from the fruit of the stone pine in the mountains of Austria. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it, as I'm not normally a pine needle chewer.

Also from Austria, and slightly out of category, but what the hell, is Nux Alpina, a delicious green walnut liqueur made by the Purkhart family (famous in beverage circles).

You could get both and make your sweetie wear lederhosen and the funny cap with the brush in it while you have a party!

Ach du lieber Hoke-ustein!

Ahem.

I've tried Zirbenz; good but not really grabbing.

Nux Alpina sounds, frankly, just awful. We've tried various nocino and they come across astringent rather than bitter, and kinda nasty at it.

HWMBO likes the sweet nut liqueuers (Frangelico, etc.) but lately the only such drink I can take are some beautifully pure schnapps made by Fraulein Brossels: https://schnapserwachen.com/

Jeff
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun May 28, 2017 12:13 am

Hoke wrote:Roots-Greece bills itself as a sweet liqueur and apparently has multiple flavors.

This is the first I've ever heard of this drink and, lo, I ate at a Greek restaurant tonight that had three flavors of it on the menu: mastiha, rakomelo, and herb spirit. We tried the rakomelo: it was sweet and aromatic of cinnamon and honey. (I've read that there is clove in there, too, but I didn't taste it.) It reminded me somewhat of the wacky brews you can find in the Jura... Elixir de Grand-mere Philomene, Galant des Abbesses, even distantly some red Macvin.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sun May 28, 2017 12:29 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:
Hoke wrote:Roots-Greece bills itself as a sweet liqueur and apparently has multiple flavors.

This is the first I've ever heard of this drink and, lo, I ate at a Greek restaurant tonight that had three flavors of it on the menu: mastiha, rakomelo, and herb spirit. We tried the rakomelo: it was sweet and aromatic of cinnamon and honey. (I've read that there is clove in there, too, but I didn't taste it.) It reminded me somewhat of the wacky brews you can find in the Jura... Elixir de Grand-mere Philomene, Galant des Abbesses, even distantly some red Macvin.

Whoa. How's that for timing!
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Sun May 28, 2017 10:11 am

After some googling, I've verified that what I tried was the Greek "Roots," in the "herb spirit" flavor. (I can't for the life of me imagine why I thought it was from the Carolinas, except possibly that by that time I was full of seafood and Sicilian Malvasia.) They say the primary aromatic elements are diktamo (a Cretan herb), licorice, nutmeg, and vanilla.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun May 28, 2017 1:08 pm

Hoke wrote:
Jeff Grossman wrote:

Whoa. How's that for timing!

I was pretty amazed.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sun May 28, 2017 2:03 pm

Well, see, you're an amazing guy.

(Were dishes thrown?)
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun May 28, 2017 9:37 pm

Hoke wrote:(Were dishes thrown?)

No. The waiter was Sicilian, if that matters.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Sun May 28, 2017 11:22 pm

I'm intrigued by Chinato, hopefully will have the opportunity to try it sometime.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon May 29, 2017 11:54 am

We tend to have a bottle of Fernet Branca around the house as I actually like it as a digestivo. Maybe it's just my imagination, but I find a small glass of it to be soothing after a large meal. I've had the Vallet and didn't like it much. but it was part of a flight of amari and may have suffered from the comparison - I'll have to give it another try.

The one I've been most enamored with lately is Kina l'Aero d'Or, from Tempus Fugit Spirits. It's much thicker than something like Fernet Branca, with an almost syrupy texture. It's also quite a bit sweeter, but the sweetness is well balanced, with a nice bitter finish. It's complex but easy to drink and would make a much more interesting intro to the amaro category than Aperol.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon May 29, 2017 6:09 pm

Mike: Haven't had the Kino, but every other product I have tried from Tempus Fugit has been exceptional, so I would expect this one to be the same.

Someone must like Fernet Branca (other than bartenders, I mean). so you're not alone. It's the big daddy of amari. As a cocktail ingredient it works wonders; lot of thundering bass notes and earthiness, just a bit dulling on the palate to me.