The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Some OffBeat New Wines....(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Some OffBeat New Wines....(long/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:47 pm

We tried tonight (7/19/17) Some Offbeat New Wines:
1. Grecomusc IGP: Campania Bianco (14%; www.ContradediTaurasi.It; OliverMcCrumSlctns; Roviello Bianco or
Grecomusc variety) Contrade di Taurasi/Enza&Antonella Lonardo/Taurasi 2014
: Med.light gold color; rather
fragrant strong pineapple/mango slight herbal/resiny/piney rather grapey/perfumed talc bit R-like lovely nose;
lightly tart floral/pineapple/mango slight herbal/waxy/perfumed talc flavor; very long tart/tangy pineapple/
mango fairly rich/balanced somewhat R-like finish; reminds a lot of Piemonte Arneis w/o the stony character;
one of the Compania whites I've had; beautiful white. $32.00 (WH)
some honeyed/Rouss-like fairly rich/lush bit stony finish; lots of interesting aromatics; one of the best
Sardinian whites I can recall; very well priced at $23.00 (CB)
slight RS/textured strong floral/Malvasia/bit muscatty light stony/mineral finish; powerful perfumey Malvasia but
more like a Malvasia d'Istria than typical candied Calif Malvasia; beautiful expression of Malvasia. $27.00 (WH)
very light phenolic/cider slight muscatty beautiful/exotic nose; very tart/metallic/grapefruity/steely/almost screechy
slightly bitter quite perfumed/orangey/orange muscat/orange blossom very slight phenolic/cidery/resiny rather exotic
flavor; very long/lingering very tart/tangy/steely/metallic/bit screechy light Malvasia/orange blossom slight
phenolic/resiny exotic finish; a very unusual/exotic expression of Calif Malvasia w/ surprisingly little phenolic
character; a beautiful/exotic white. $30.00 (WoP)
Viog/peach/pear/spicy very perfumed slight smokey/earthy very attractive nose; soft very floral/Viog/spicy/peach/pear
slight smokey/earthy flavor; very long soft pear/peach/Viog/spicy light earthy finish; quite an attractive CdR/Viog
Condrieu wanna-be at a great price. $14.00 (WH)
very long/lingering intense floral/peach/Viog-like bit pencilly/oak/bacon-fat very exotic finish; a beautiful
exotic/complex almost Condrieu-like white; best Timarasso I've yet had. $25.00 (WH)
Nebb-like/floral/rose petal/violets fairly tart slight earthy/dusty finish w/ light gentle tannins; a beautiful
wine that's a dead-ringer for a Nebb but w/o the fierce acids & tannins; amazingly good at a stupid/silly price.
$22.00 (WH)
bit pungent/licorice finish w/ light crunchy tannins; reminds a lot of a lighter perfumey Dolcetto; lovely wine at
a great price. $22.00 (EVN)
very interesting quite attractive nose; lightly tart very bright/raspberry/cherry/Sangio-like/very spicy light earthy/
mushroomy flavor w/ light brisk tannins; very ling bright/zippy/berry/raspberry/cherry light earthy/mushroomy finish w/
light tannins; really quite a pretty bright easy-drinking red wine that reminds some of Zin, some of Sangio; surprisingly
bright/zippy red for Lodi. $32.00 (CB)
soft bit hard/rustic/coarse some grapey/Primitivo-like/berry quite dusty/OV/earthy/rustic/coarse flavor w/ some hard/
rough tannins; very long quite earthy/dusty/OV/loamy quite rustic/coarse/grapey light berry/blackberry/Primitivo-like
finish w/ some hard/coarse tannins; a typical rough southern Italian red that is rather interesting. $25.00 (WH)
slight earthy flavor w/ light crunchy tannins; very long very strong blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah-like/very ripe bit
toasty/oak bit earthy/loamy finish w/ light brisk tannins; pretty much a dead-ringer for a Paso Syrah; very much
in an international style; this is how PhilippeCambie would make Armenian wine if he could; seems pricey at $50.00 (CB)
graphite/mineral bit dill pickle/volatile/EA nose; softslightly rustic/rough strong plummy/blackberry/Mourv-like
light earthy/dusty/rustic flavor w/ light ripe tannins; long ripe/blackberry/plummy/chocolaty slight earthy/loamy/
dusty/rustic finish w/ light smooth tannins; again seems more in an international style of winemaking; resembles
a Paso Mourv; good red at a very good price. $18.00 (CB)
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
More alt-facts from TheBloodyPulpit:
1. Tricastin: The Coteau de Tricastin AC was dropped in 2010 in favor of Grignan-Adehemar AC. In 2008, there was a leak
at the Tricastin nuclear power plant, the 4 units which supply 6% of France's electricity. One spilled 18 cubic meters
of water contaminated with natural uranium onto the ground. That same period, there was a leak in a pipe of unenriched
uranium water that was fully contained. Nearby was a military shielded nuclear waste dump where it was claimed the
wind & rain was erroding the surface ground layer. As usual, much ado over nothing. But the sales of Tricastin wines
started to drop and the AC was changed to protect the local vignerons. My consumption of this Tricastin wine resulted
in a 13.87 millisec decrease in my life expectancy.
reds and some Pet-Nats. I must try more of her wines; interesting stuff.
dramatically different in character. The Castello was a dead ringer for a perfumey Nebbiolo. The Bel reminded a
lot of a rather light Dolcetto.
The Sheldon WebSite gives no idea who are the people behind the wine. I find that frustrating when I try a
new wnry and then can't find out anything about the mind/behind. I presume their last name is Sheldon. The
WebSite has a touching love story on it...but that's about it. Who the heck are the Sheltons??
clay amphorae and concrete tanks.
Both of these wines had a distinct international-style of winemaking to them. Both reminded me of Paso Syrah or
Mourv more than anything. So I'm not sure what the true varietal character of AreniNoir is or whether they should be
planting it all up&down the Coast of Calif. These were my first two AreniNoirs and my first Armenian wines.
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

Re: WTN: Some OffBeat New Wines....(long/boring)

by Patchen Markell » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:17 pm

Here's a little more on the Sheldons:

https://webpages.scu.edu/womenwinemaker ... php?id=229

And here's the guy who I think must make their barrels:

http://bit.ly/2mgayhS
cheers, Patchen