The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Roses, whites, and reds on World Cup final weekend

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Roses, whites, and reds on World Cup final weekend

by Dale Williams » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:43 pm

With ham, Swiss chard, and rice, the 2017 Koehler-Ruprecht Pinot Noir Kabinett Trocken Rose. Good acid, tart red fruit, but a little short on finish. B-

We went to Rob’s in Irvington for local wine group. He served Sausages, clams, cheese, and more, theme was white or rose from US or France (since between 4th and Bastille Day). Nice night on deck, marred only by one guy’s new Volvo hybrid computer freaking out, leaving it blocking several driveways before getting towed.

2017? Mas de Daumas Gassac Rosé Frizantte

This was actually pretty fun, light fizz, red currant flavors, hint of sweetness. B

2006 Henriot Brut Champagne
To toast Les Bleus run. Full and creamy but with an acid backbone and fine mousse, , apple, pear, and orange zest, biscuit dough. B+/A-

White #1 -I guessed warm vintage Macon. Apple and pear, no apparent oak, modest finish, ok acids. Others liked more. 2016 Channing Daughters Scuttlehole Chardonnay B-

White #2 I got Loire quickly, but my first guess was one of the bigger/riper melons like Clisson. Once he said no I guessed Pouilly-Fume, close but no cigar. Really nice, no grass, nice citrus fruit, nice chalky mineral finish. 2016 Pelle “Morogues” Menetou-Salon B++

Rose #1 I blew this one, said Provence but “it’s not Bandol” Modest acids, red plum fruit, others liked more than I did. 2016 Pradeaux Bandol B-

Rose # 2 Knowing me, folks got this quickly. Nice vintage, cherry and red apple, orange zest, fine finish.
2017 Edmunds St. John Bone Jolly Rose B++

Rose #3 We were told this after 2016 opened. I thought much livelier and lovelier,
2017 Pradeaux Bandol B+

Rose #4 - well, yuck. I didn’t guess this was aged, just sucky. Low acid, overripe red plum, sweet, short. When Rob said Loire I got Rose d’Anjou. 2013 Bouquet Rose d’Anjou, C

Saturday I took lunch (scallop crudo and takeout Vietnamese -summer rolls, pork and tofu noodle salads) to some post surgical friends, they served the 2017 Riotor rose, dependable as ever. B

That night porgy, grilled scallions, salad, rice and the 2014 Do Ferreiro Albarino (Rías Baixas). I usually am a big fan of this bottling, but this had a weird lactic thing going on, that persisted next day. C+/B-

Sunday back to Sleepy Hollow for brunch with the World Cup finals. Bagels, salmons, cream cheese, whitefish salad, charcuterie, first great tomatoes of the year, and more. Wines were French of course

NV Gosset Grande Reserve Champagne
Don’t know when this was released, but this was heavy and overmature. C+/B-

1989 Vieux Chateau Certan
Lovely showing, high acid but with a lush texture. Black plum and cherries, leather, herbs. Long finish. I confess I was surprised at showing as I thought Mark had said DDC rather than VCC, when I saw bottle it made more sense. A-

That night local pork chop, grilled squash and trumpet mushrooms, with the 2014 Decima Mencia (Ribeira Sacra). Crunchy black raspberry, spice, a hint of mocha. Floral, bright, and fun. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Roses, whites, and reds on World Cup final weekend

by Jenise » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:15 pm

On our Oct 2010 Rhone vacation with the Spohns and Coopers, we loved, and consumed a lot of, Pradeaux Rose. The bottles I've had here since (in the last three years, so some gap) have been fleshier than what I remember. Of course, that would having nothing to do with the effect of drinking a wine you bought at the Chateau just a few hours' drive away with a view of the entire Rhone Valley in front of you, would it!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:12 am

Dale,

Too bad you don't own any Sine Qua Non Rosé. It would be fun to watch people try to wrap their heads around a wine they were sure was ESJ. :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:28 am

Dale Williams wrote:With ham, Swiss chard, and rice, the 2017 Koehler-Ruprecht Pinot Noir Kabinett Trocken Rose. Good acid, tart red fruit, but a little short on finish..

Tough standards for a rose? Aren't they all short on the finish?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:33 am

I don't expect an especially long finish, but good (to me ) roses like ESJ, good Bandols, Marsannay etc definitely aren't clipped/short. Even lighter styled roses like Riotor , Vissoux, or Gobelsburg tend not to have finishes that I think of as short. I usually don't notice, it's unusual when I do. Of course this was one bottle, on two nights, so maybe it's just me- CSW touts this, and I'd call most of their staff better tasters than me.. But I only have my palate. :)

David, while that would be fun, if I had SQN rose I'd send to Winebid to raise funds to buy ESJ, not share with these guys.

Jenise, most wines taste better in their place!
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:06 am

Dale Williams wrote:Sunday back to Sleepy Hollow for brunch with the World Cup finals...... Wines were French of course

Not even thinking Croatia had a chance?? :shock:
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:17 am

No, just a sign of support. All Francophiles. Host is English, and lost a bottle of Jadot Beze last week in the semi-final to NYC area's most prominent Croatian winegeek. I thought Croatia had a good shot (and certainly outplayed France for significant portion of game).