The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: In which a St Em is my least fave (possibly damaged)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: In which a St Em is my least fave (possibly damaged)

by Dale Williams » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:07 pm

A bit of delay in SLC, but made it back to NY Thursday night. Dinner mostly from freezer - chicken sausage and dal, plus delicata squash.

1996 Ch. Troplong Mondot
Some browning on rim, slight maderized note, tacky tannins, no fun. Well stored but maybe heat before acquisition .Clean cork with not a lot of staining. This bottle C

2015 AJ Adam “"im Pfarrgarten” Feinherb Riesling

Peach and mango with lime accents, good acids, Kabinett weight, long. B+/B

Friday dinner was swordfish and a kohlrabi salad, with the 2016 Pepiere “Clos des Briords” Muscadet. Maybe not as snappy and elegant as the ‘12 or ‘14, but a bit more verve than the ‘15. But all Briords are Fantastic QPR- saline, vigorous, bright. B++

Saturday was our anniversary, I picked up Betsy at JFK and went home for a nice dinner. I had planned on oysters to start, but fishmonger at farmers market didn’t have, so starters were smoked salmon and sherried chorizo instead, with a glass of NV Pierre Peters Cuvee de Reserve Blanc de Blancs. Apple and pears, yeasty dough, floral. Nice acidic lift, elegant mousse B+

Rack of lamb over wilted arugula, couscous, grilled leeks, green beans (goose fat)

2001 Ch. Sociando-Mallet
Nice showing with some air. Cassis, black cherry, some green notes but more leafy than green peppery. Some spice, ferric notes. Still some tannin. Fresh, good acids. B+/A-

Sunday we had a friend over, started with repeat of chorizo and salmon with leftover Champagne (still fine). Then gingered cod stirfry with kale and broccoli rabe, and a green salad with delicata and watermelon radish.

2013 Knoll Loibner Riesling Smaragd

Citrus and tonic water, light for Smaragd (12.5 abv), tasty and quickly finished. B+

2017 La Tour Bon Bandol rose
Pale, perky, pretty. B+

No wine Monday with Japanese hot pot (udon, maitake, spinach) or Tues (salmon, rice, greens)

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

edited to correct vintage error in commentary
Last edited by Dale Williams on Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: In which a St Em is my least fave (possibly damaged

by David M. Bueker » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:57 pm

Happy anniversary!

There were some lovely wines in there. Any idea of the disgorgement on the Peters?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:07 pm

the Peters predates the QR codes (have some other 750s and mags that have QR codes that reveal base vintage, disgorgement, etc).I didn't see any lot # but it could be there. Will look next time I pull one (bottle went to recycling)
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:40 am

I opened a Tripling Mondot 96 a few months ago and noted it as tired, oxidative and hollow at first but developing to become acceptable as the bottle progressed. Perhaps all the bottles are going downhill.
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:31 am

1996 was pretty weak on the right bank.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:24 am

Useless addition to the conversation: we had a beautiful 96 Larmande a few weeks ago.

Dale, were the salmon and sherried chorizo two separate things or one combined preparation? I'm interested in the "sherried chorizo" part.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:37 pm

Dale Williams wrote:2016 Pepiere “Clos des Briords” Muscadet. Maybe not as snappy and elegant as the ‘12 or ‘14, but a bit more verve than the ‘15. But all Briords are Fantastic QPR- saline, vigorous, bright. B++

I don't follow Briords every vintage these days, so can't really compare recent wines. But I did have a few bottles of the 16 at the house this past year and enjoyed them. They always pleased my guests and was interesting because I often didn't even have to defend it as 'special' Muscadet, because people didn't even know what Muscadet was!
no avatar
User

Steve Kirsch

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:53 pm

Detroit, MI

by Steve Kirsch » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:14 pm

Rahsaan wrote:I often didn't even have to defend it as 'special' Muscadet, because people didn't even know what Muscadet was!

Hah!

I'm not suggesting that universal appeal is necessarily a quality of a great wine, but in this case it happens to true. Needless to say, there's even more there for the wine lover.