The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Beauty Salon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Beauty Salon

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:53 pm

• 1988 Salon Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut - France, Champagne (1/22/2022)
    Opened with some trepidation due to the mixed history of this bottling, but ultimately the unease was misplaced. Thirty minutes to shake off some bottle funk, and this was monumental. Precision, depth, richness and electricity all in the same sip. Where the first taste maybe showed slightly oxidative, it blossomed and took on classically nutty, toasty and wheaty tones, along with a chalky yet rich palate presence. The longer it was open the younger it tasted. Just a gentle mousse that caressed the palate, and kept things fresh from start to finish. I sure wasn’t this good at thirty four years old!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Beauty Salon

by Dale Williams » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:37 am

David M. Bueker wrote:
  • 1988 Salon Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut - France, Champagne (1/22/2022)
    Opened with some trepidation due to the mixed history of this bottling, but ultimately the unease was misplaced. Thirty minutes to shake off some bottle funk, and this was monumental. Precision, depth, richness and electricity all in the same sip. Where the first taste maybe showed slightly oxidative, it blossomed and took on classically nutty, toasty and wheaty tones, along with a chalky yet rich palate presence. The longer it was open the younger it tasted. Just a gentle mousse that caressed the palate, and kept things fresh from start to finish. I sure wasn’t this good at thirty four years old!

Nice way to celebrate, HB!
1988 was such a great year for Champagne. All I have left is a mag of Sir Winston, which hopefully is intact.
I think my Salon tasting days are behind me, Some friends were thinking of going to a big Salon event in NYC, but it was $1000+ AND bring a bottle of Salon. When they realized sourcing a bottle was going to be $800+, they dropped.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:14 am

Thanks Dale!

Yeah, Salon has gotten out of hand. We still have several bottles from the before crazy times, but not buying it at current pricing. 1999 was the last vintage we got, and IIRC it was a generous gift, rather than our own purchase.

‘88 is probably my favorite all time mature Champagne vintage. We’ll see how years like ‘08 and ‘12 stack up as they mature.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:23 am

Bump. (For aesthetics.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov