The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Read Today: Red Wine Icons

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

Read Today: Red Wine Icons

by Pat G » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:58 pm

https://www.falstaff.com/en/nd/100-red- ... new-world/

I can only claim to have had Opus One. A business dinner, long time ago. The host ordered it. Way before I became as geek-like as I am now. Remember it was wonderful with steak.

Doubt I'd buy any Icons personally.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Read Today: Red Wine Icons

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:40 am

I have had 16 of the listed new world icons. Own a few bottles here and there, but not a current buyer for any except Monte Bello.

It’s a rather contrived list in many respects.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:16 am

Harlan, Opus One, and Monte Bello, traveling with a wine-writer's hat on. Also Monte Bello and Sine Qua Non at MoCool. I hated Sine Qua Non.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:56 pm

Me too, Robin. Goopy rubbish.

I've had 21 of those. Who is this publication anyway? If there was a point to this article or has some lobbying group behind it, it would be Chilean interests trumping up a means of putting their wines on a list of New World "icons" wherein the others are merely the instrument by which they elevate.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:46 pm

Jenise wrote:Who is this publication anyway?

Falstaff is the most respected wine mag in Austria. It's legit. David Schildknecht has done some writing for them (in German).
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:13 pm

I think I've had all of the US wines except Screagle, Bionic Frog, and Maya (though doesn't SQN have different names different years. so I can just say I;ve had A syrah)
Love Monte Bello, have had good Dominus and Insignia.
As to rest of list, I have not heard of several or just vaguely (Chadwick, Mundus Bacillus Terrae, Gran Enemigo, Bell Hill, Ao Yun) so I think "Iconic" is a bit strong.
I looked at French list. For Bdx, it lists 5 first growths, plus VCC, Angelus, Lafleur , Petrus., Cheval Blanc
As this is 100 most iconic red wine estates in world (their heading). I'd like to see a show of hands as to which list is most iconic
A) LMHB, LLC, Palmer, Trotanoy, Ausone

B) Chadwick, Mundus Bacillus Terrae, Gran Enemigo, Bell Hill, Ao Yun

Also, in Italy list, they have 10 wines including from Sandrone, Altare, and Voerzio, but no Giacosa. I know some questions about Giacosa in recent vintages, but please look up definition of iconic!

These lists are always goofy, but stilll...

Now let's discuss 100 greatest rock bands, 100 greatest chamber music works, and 100 most iconic painters. :)
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:34 pm

This "best of" selection is not good for Falstaff's reputation as far as I'm concerned. Where are the Spaniards and Portuguese? The French and Italian selections are about as boringly conventional as one can get apart from the inclusion of Négly, which is far from being on most connoisseurs' list of the best wines from Languedoc, and the overweight of CndP. And the New World selection seems to me quite disproportionate numerically.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:02 pm

Tim
https://www.falstaff.com/en/nd/100-red- ... many-alps/
With as many weird choices as the others! Insane to say a new wine like Telmo Rodriguez Beatas is more iconic than a GR from CVNE or La Rioja Alta. I've enjoyed wines from D. d Palacios fand Raul Perez, but Johnny Come Latelys.

And I think it's odd that a joint venture from Huber and Sadie, who each make the list, is one of iconic estates of Spain.

I think if I counted right that is 5 unaccounted for on the 4 lists, I assume 1 is Musar. Trying to guess others. Georgia? Greece?
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

by Pat G » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:19 pm

Tim York wrote:This "best of" selection is not good for Falstaff's reputation as far as I'm concerned. Where are the Spaniards and Portuguese? The French and Italian selections are about as boringly conventional as one can get apart from the inclusion of Négly, which is far from being on most connoisseurs' list of the best wines from Languedoc, and the overweight of CndP. And the New World selection seems to me quite disproportionate numerically.

Vega Sicilia of Spain is absent....never had it but Abadia Retuerta is in cellar as a lower-cost alternative. Not an equivalent, an alternative.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:42 pm

Actually I think VS Unico was on list.
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

by Pat G » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:59 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Actually I think VS Unico was on list.

I sure didn't see VS on the original link that I posted. But that link was New World. I would vote that Spain is not New World....

I did see it on the second link that you posted. Within that list, I've had zip zilch.

Cheers!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:33 am

Yep, Unico was there.

I wish I understood the complete premise of the list, as well as any ground rules. Their Portugal selections are completely bizarre at first glance, unless Port is excluded. No other way QdN Nacional would be missed by any legitimate listing.