The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two pots of gold, Orofino and Saviah

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Two pots of gold, Orofino and Saviah

by Jenise » Wed May 18, 2022 2:25 pm

Last night with cold steak and asparagus salad:

2008 Saviah Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve Walla Walla Valley
Was absolutely terrific last night with a cold steak and asparagus salad. At the absolute peak of aged divinity now, showing the structure of the cool vintage with optimally picked fruit: blackberry, cassis, black coffee, and just a whisper of Washington's signature herbal/green bell pepper thing. Loved it. Best WA 2008 I've had. At the peak of aged perfection and will hold here for years.

A word about Saviah: this is one of Washington's most unheralded wineries. They make wine from almost every grape in the book, and every year turn out solid, competent stuff at very affordable prices, many of which are sold in Washington supermarkets. For that the owners (the Funk family I kid you not), are probably happy enough--the wine sells. They have legions of fans and one of the best tasting rooms in W2. But they're treated by wine critics like they're another mass-appeal style wine like Chateau Ste. Michelle, which they're not (Charles Smith IS, but they fawn over him, go figure.) So when a bottle from what I consider a great vintage (because it was cool, not an opinion widely shared here though) and a winery that never gets 95 points for anything they do shows up at auction, it goes for a measly $25 which I pounced on just four months ago.

2020 Orofino Vineyards Riesling Wild Ferment Old Vines Smilkameen Valley
From my share of a case shared with Bill Spohn and John S. This old world style riesling took three days to fully open up, transitioning from soft/sweet to layered/minerally with extra complexity from slowed fermentation and wild yeast. Acidity is sufficient for the task but not huge; will probably be at its best in 2023 - 2025. Really classy. Lots of riesling being made in WA these days but none are hitting the nail on the head for old world style like some of the wineries in BC--this is one. Orofino made 13 different rieslings in this vintage.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: WTN: Two pots of gold, Orofino and Saviah

by Bill Spohn » Wed May 18, 2022 3:07 pm

Thanks for the update - we should seek out some more of the next vintage perhaps.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 18, 2022 4:13 pm

It's really lovely. I was disappointed on Day One, but not on Day Three. Very elegant. This winery is doing amazing things. I noted when checking out CT to count how many rieslings they made that they've do a whole bunch of other things, many syrahs too including a wild ferment. If you or John see any of that around, I'm your friend!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed May 18, 2022 7:59 pm

Nice..will be revisiting Orofino in July :D
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Thu May 19, 2022 1:15 pm

I agree, Saviah is underrated, with most people focusing on their lower tier bottlings. Their top wines are good, and used to be great value (I haven’t visited recently).

So glad you enjoyed the Orofino, I do think their rieslings are excellent. I haven’t had a ‘soft’ riesling from them, so was a little surprised at that. But the minerality really shines - it’s a regional thing. The Syrah is very good too, but it’s the rieslings they do best.

Their gamay is excellent too!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 19, 2022 4:39 pm

John, glad to hear from you. Have you ever had Saviah's The Funk syrah? It's a monster, Rocks fruit of course. Not my usual favorite thing but they're delightful.

And yeah on the Orofino. Like I said, Day Three it all showed up. We really enjoyed it. Thanks again for the procurement.