The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Austria in Chinatown

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Austria in Chinatown

by Rahsaan » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:48 am

The stated goal was to convince Lyle of the glories of Austrian Riesling. But it was really an excuse to eat drink and be merry. So while Mr. Clooney and Mr. Pitt spent their time outside the restaurant playing with cameras, we went inside for the serious business. Jay started us off-theme with NV Étienne Calsac Les Rocheforts, which was a perfect Blanc de Blancs, a good dose of firm juicy fruit and fine classy structure, that’s how one settles in to Chinatown.

Lyle also had a few German contributions, so we went back in time with a feathery-light 2001 P. Licht Bergweiler Erben Brauneberger Juffer Riesling Spätlese Trocken. Would have been a lovely accompaniment on its own to a meal (and really sang with the salt and pepper shrimp), but as one might have expected, the bigger boned Austrians muscled it out of my attention.

2020 Kühling-Gillot Nierstein Riesling was shades of the Mosel via the Rheinhessen. Much lighter than one expects for the region, although still fairly broad and the flavors hinted tropical.

Jayson’s last bottle of 1998 Hirsch Gaisberg Riesling Alte Reben was certainly ready to drink. A nice evolved bottle of evolved golden wine. Not dead and there was enjoyment for those who enjoyed it. But no need to wait.

I thought one might sense a through line with the 2011 Hirsch Gaisberg Riesling Reserve, but this was a completely different universe. Bright linear and elegant. Not the most stuffing, but that was part of my plan to convince Lyle that not all Austrian wine is ponderous!

Also no through line detected with the 2019 Gobelsburg Gaisberg Riesling, which was absolutely delicious, filled with more body and girth but still plenty of elegance. That said, a touch young for me to enjoy fully, with the other more aged bottles on the table.

As our offering to the gods of Why Did I Cellar This for 2 Decades, Marty presented a corked bottle of 2001 Knoll Ried Loibenberg Riesling Smaragd.

2007 Prager Wachstum Bodenstein Riesling Smaragd was one of the highlights for me. Broader than the Gaisbergs, but so wonderfully delicate, mellowed with age, a perfect moment of harmony for my tastes.

Another highlight was the 2013 Hirtzberger Singerriedel Riesling Smaragd which was the full package. Power, elegance, depth, grace. It made it difficult to focus and appreciate the 2014 Hirtzberger Hochrain Riesling Smaragd, which would have been perfectly delicious on its own.

And lest the peking duck clash with Riesling, we drank 1999 Texier Hermitage. For my tastes, this was wide open in that almost-lewd way where it feels like it’s gushing and showing all of its secrets. And yes, that’s a good thing!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Austria in Chinatown

by David M. Bueker » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:09 pm

Rahsaan wrote:The stated goal was to convince Lyle of the glories of Austrian Riesling.

And the result was?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:21 pm

He enjoyed the wines. And I knew it was a bit of hyperbole on his part (imagine!) when he had told me a few months ago that he 'didn't like Austrian wine'. So I wasn't expecting to show him anything he didn't know.

But, it was fun and delicious. And we all have our preferences, which for him lean towards some of the German regions. (As did most of ours at the table, although no complaints about the wines for the night)
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:05 pm

Nice lineup. Pings?
I would have known who brought Calsac even if you hadn't said.
Real shame about the '01 Knoll. Enjoyed the notes.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:15 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Nice lineup. Pings?
I would have known who brought Calsac even if you hadn't said.

Peking Duck House.

Yes, apparently Jay has been pouring various Calsac bottlings for folks and was keeping a tally of who liked/didn't like the various cuvees. This one was liked by everyone at the table.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:43 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:The stated goal was to convince Lyle of the glories of Austrian Riesling.

And the result was?

Actually, the post-dinner verdict is now that some convincing was done. So there may be some Austrian offers from Fass selections before too long...
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:43 am

Progress!

But he has done a couple Austrians in the past. More would be better.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Patrick Martin

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:28 am

by Patrick Martin » Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:25 pm

Just picked up some ‘16 Prager Achleiten Riesling Smaragd. As much as I love Austrian Riesling, I’ve never had a Prager and it sounds like I’ve been missing out.