The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: Curly Flat Chardonnay Vertical

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cam Wheeler

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 17, 2006 7:01 pm

Sydney, Australia

WTNs: Curly Flat Chardonnay Vertical

by Cam Wheeler » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:23 am

Curly Flat is a small producer in the cool climate region of Macedon in Victoria, Australia. They have been gaining a reputation for excellent Pinot Noir and Chardonnay in the past few years, so I was glad to get the chance to try this lineup of their recent Chardonnay releases.

2005 Curly Flat "Lacuna" Chardonnay
This is un-oaked, with Lacuna translating to "missing space". Pale straw colour. Lovely bright nose, very reminiscent of Chablis with flint, slate, chalk as well as some lychee and lime. Palate is medium weighted and has good texture and focused acid. Could be seen as a little bit simple side by side with the regular Chardonnay, but I think this is a brilliantly pure wine that over delivers for the money.
92/100

2002 Curly Flat Chardonnay
Deep nose of cashew, butternut squash, peach and some funky yeast. The palate is powerful in flavour but still seems well weighted. Has enough acid for now to bring the wine into line. Drink now.
89/100

2003 Curly Flat Chardonnay
Seemed to be in an akward stage between youth and maturity. Nose was very restrained, some peach and pear but quiet otherwise. Good length to the palate but lacked weight and complexity. I think this may look better in a couple of years.
86/100

2004 Curly Flat Chardonnay
The nose on this was just exceptional - Layered oats, hay, wet wool, lilies, slate and minerals. Palate shows off great clarity and superb length. Continued to get better and reveal more layers with each sip and by the end left me convinced that this is a world class wine.
93/100

2005 Curly Flat Chardonnay
A taut nose, but some lime, slate, florals and pure Chardonnay fruit managed to shine through after some time spent swirling. The balance of the palate was impossible to fault. Good flavour intensity and lots of potential to improve. To be released very shortly I believe.
91/100

2006 Curly Flat Chardonnay (Barrel Sample)
Looked pretty promising from the sample. I think it may head along the same lines as the 2005. Lots of floral notes at the moment and pure fruit on the palate. Not rated.