The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Domaine Gabriel Billard Bourgogne Burgundy France.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 2005 Domaine Gabriel Billard Bourgogne Burgundy France.

by Bob Ross » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:14 am

WTN: 2005 Domaine Gabriel Billard Bourgogne Pinot Noir Cote-de-Beaune Burgundy France. 12.5% alcohol. $16.99 at Chambers Street Wine. Imported by Fruit of the Vines, New York City.

Some wines are baffling to me, perfectly sound and consistent with a style and area I normally enjoy but I just don't care for them. This Bourgogne from a very good year is an example. Janet said "There's nothing wrong with this wine. ... I just don't like it. ... It tastes like beer."

I've puzzled over why I didn't like this wine, but a leak in our koi pond and an "insanely difficult" chess puzzle promise more rewards. Not a wine for us. 0*.

CWS's take is probably more useful: "A lovely wine showing soft, cherryish fruit with a little brown spice and citrus notes, well-balanced and delicious served cool. A great value in subtle, medium-bodied Pinot Noir..."

Technically I can't disagree with anything in that note except the word "delicious". :(
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 2005 Domaine Gabriel Billard Bourgogne Burgundy France.

by Rahsaan » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:03 am

In cases like this there are always the caveats of a potentially off-bottle that are difficult to resolve, but "tastes like beer" doesn't sound like a sound bottle, does it?
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:02 am

In Janet's world it is -- I've never been able to make the connection myself.

She's very sensitive to TCA, heat damage, and most other flaws. She said "there's nothing wrong with this wine".

Darned if I know what the beer reference means but she uses it for Pinot Noir that she doesn't like. She uses "olive oil" to describe a Cabernet Sauvignon she doesn't like.

A mystery to me! :)
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:52 am

Bob Ross wrote:Darned if I know what the beer reference means but she uses it for Pinot Noir that she doesn't like. She uses "olive oil" to describe a Cabernet Sauvignon she doesn't like.

Well, at least if it makes sense to her.

I suppose of course it depends on the kind of beer she is talking about. The one beer descriptor I can think of that I find in wine is the sweet yeasty flavor of wheat beer, which can be prominent in young German riesling.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:06 pm

I asked Janet about the beer taste -- she describes it as a hops flavor, and slightly yeasty.

Useful information for me in understanding her tastes. Here are a few wines she's described that way:

NV Beringer Gamay Beaujolais
1996 Domaine Alliet Chinon Vieilles Vignes Cabernet Franc
1995 Falesco Vitiano Vino da Tavola
1993 Agricola La Palazzola Rubino della Palazzola
1996 Philippe Alliet Chinon

I see there are over 60 similar judgments in my diary over the past ten years.

Thanks for asking -- I learned something new about Janet. And, as she says, "Maybe it's just me."

Regards, Bob