The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Riojapalooza

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

WTN: Riojapalooza

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:53 am

A comment on eBob by Michael about wanting to try more LdH prompted this gathering. Joe leapt upon the opportunity to showcase traditional rioja and drove to NYC to gather a couple of tonights stars. The restaurant, Portugalia in Cambridge, played the perfect host in providing us wonderful food and a private space. Much thanks to Tom for organizing the night. Making the pilgrimage to the shrine of the Holy Rioja were PMac, Trung, Albert, Tom, Michael, Joe, Amy, and Lill.

We started with fresh sardines flown in from Portugal that morning. The fish was very good but made the wines taste a bit metallic to me. I stuck to water during this course but loved the whites before and after.

1989 R. Lopez de Heredia Viña Gravonia “Reserva” Rioja Blanco (mislabeled, should be crianza) Very rich, very oxidized but where you get the sense of an aged white burg at first the lively fruity, dry caramel, acidic, fairly coarse tannic finish kicks in and brings it to a completely different and pleasurable place.

1988 R. Lopez de Heredia Viña Tondonia Reserva Rioja Blanco Quite feminine compared to the rough hewned Gravonia. Refined lemon waxy flavors, ultra long and complex. Dreamy.

My entree was pork loin stuffed with chouriço and proved to be a great match with all of the wines (red and white).

1994 La Rioja Alta 890 Gran Reserva Rioja This wine is extremely aromatic with floral and dried cherry notes. It’s big and brawny, with deep full flavors and a very spicy finish. Absolutely wonderful structure and balance.

1985 Montecillo Gran Reserva Selección Especial Rioja I had trouble with this wine. To me it was very dirty, musty and muted. No one thought it was corked but it just didn’t have a lot of vibrancy. Michael says it opened up quite well after a couple of hours.

1987 R. Lopez de Heredia Viña Tondonia Gran Reserva Rioja This wasn’t overly complex right now but should have a good future. Dried flowers, some anise/licorice notes and very good balance

1973 CVNE Viña Real Gran Reserva Rioja Albert nailed this one, it’s a red gewurz disguised as rioja. Very spicy nose, a surprising dash of lychee in the nose and mouth. Overall it is very tasty with nice balance. I love it for being different.

1970 R. Lopez de Heredia Viña Tondonia Gran Reserva Rioja This is showing much cleaner (less soil notes) and younger (more fruit) than last time I had it. All the usual suspects in a nice harmony, dried flowers, a wallop of dried cherry and cranberry, tobacco and cedar with a hint of chocolate malt on the finish.

1964 R. Lopez de Heredia Viña Bosconia Gran Reserva Rioja This is perfumy with roses and lilacs, very silky, extremely pretty wine in a rummaging through the attic sort of way. But next to the 1947, it is reticent and shy.

1947 R. Lopez de Heredia Viña Bosconia Gran Reserva Rioja Unfreakin believable. This wine is immortal. Glorious aged rioja nose with all the concentration and vigor of something one third its age. Wonderful balance and velvety structure while still showing some tannic muscle. When I got home, the empty glass still smelled intoxicating.

no other desserts needed
2003 Chateau Coutet Barsac Very expressive with apricot, peach, mango and honey with a shot of orange citrus on the finish. This is very refreshing and lively. Thanks PMac.

1963 Quinta do Noval Vintage Porto Talk about a happy ending. Blackberry, raisin, spice cake wrapped with incredibly luscious viscosity. My only nit is that it’s a bit hot on the palate but the flavor, the complete integration of the tannins and the super long, lip smacking finish more than makes up for it. The best VP I’ve ever had. Albert mutters something about being shot into space with Yuri Gagarin. Special thanks to Manny for dropping this off and I wished that he would have stuck around to enjoy all of these wines and food with us.

Hopefully others will chime in with comments and Joe will post a few pics.
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

Re: WTN: Riojapalooza

by wrcstl » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:53 pm

Bill,
Great notes on a producer that I have just discovered and am buying. Wish I had been able to try the '47 since it was the year I was born. I looked hard at that one at CSW but couldn't pull the trigger.
Walt
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:08 pm

I've got to get back on the mailing list for these Boston events. :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:46 pm

Walt, going in on the '47 with 6 others made the price much easier to digest. It would be well worth it with a group of 4 too.

David, ya, I'm down to my last couple of months of Boston events and it would be great seeing you prior to us shipping out. (not to mention that I still have some ESJ of yours here).
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:56 pm

Bill,

Thanks for posting the excellent notes on what was a lovely and very memorable evening. It will be Boston's loss when you and Lill head for your sunnier climes. :cry:

It is nice to know that all one needs to do is post a note about wanting to learn more about a certain region or producer or grape, and voila, a killer tasting is conceptualized, organized and executed! My sincere thanks to you, Joe and Tom for making it happen, and to all the gang who stepped up to participate!

The '47 Bosconia was a revelation--that wine was perhaps the youngest-seeming red wine of the night! It has incredible presence, yet feels like it is still not ready to fully reveal its secrets.

I felt the '87 Tondonia was just lovely--perhaps more complex to my mind than your note suggests.

The Montecillo held up well in the fridge for 2 nights, and on day 3 was not musty at all--though it had become more redolent of turned earth, manure and leather (I guess that is a different kind of 'dirty'!). My guests enjoyed it immensely, and felt it had become fairly like an aged claret.

Anyway, I'll shoot to get some notes up as soon as I can. Thanks again for a great evening!

Michael
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:20 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I've got to get back on the mailing list for these Boston events. :wink:

Never been to Boston but this kinda tasting is a good excuse to go! Lovely wines everyone. This thread is one for the 3 ring binder!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:51 pm

I am jealous. WOW!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

MLawton

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:28 pm

by MLawton » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:07 pm

I want to learn more about La Tache and Romanee-Conti, as well as Monfortino from the 60s and 70s.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:21 pm

I want to learn more about La Tache and Romanee-Conti, as well as Monfortino from the 60s and 70s.
I heard that these will all be poured at the head table.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:40 pm

Thanks for the notes, Bill!

It was a fun night and I feel guilty for now having tried the 47 Bosconia twice... such an amazing wine. The 1994 La Rioja Alta 890 has a lot of promise, but delivers so much right now as well.

As I said, that Port (for me) was near perfect... even better than the 63 Fonseca.

Best,
Joe

p.s. David, if you were not invited it was an oversight of the worst kind!
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:41 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:

Nice! Who's bringing them! :D
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:26 pm

JoePerry wrote:
Bill Buitenhuys wrote:

Nice! Who's bringing them! :D

Boy does that give me an idea.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:04 pm

MLawton wrote:I want to learn more about La Tache and Romanee-Conti, as well as Monfortino from the 60s and 70s.

Well, that is a tall order! I am in, though. Now all we need is an angel to organize it and second mortgages all around to make it happen!!
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:01 pm

Bill,

Very enjoyable notes. It must have been a great evening.

How would you compare the 1985 Tondonia GR to the 87? Do you have a preference between the two? I loved the 85 and haven't tasted the 87 version.

Where did you source the '47?

Thanks,
Marc
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:31 pm

Marc, I havent tasted the '85 yet. I definitely want to cellar some '87 though.

Joe picked up the '47 at PJ's.
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:02 pm

As threatened, I'm adding my impressions to Bill's excellent notes on this fantastic evening of Rioja.

A quick background: I came into this year with a resolution to try more Riojas and to better understand some of the more traditional producers--primarily starting with R. Lopez de Heredia. Having now tried 11 different bottlings from this producer over the past eight months, I have to add it to my list of all-time favorites! The style is fairly consistent, but manages to continually surprise (as shown by the performance of the 1947 Bosconia). This tasting was a cherry on top of the sundae of this journey and I have to thank Joe Perry and all those that organized, attended, and donated bottles to this event. Thanks!

On to my notes:

1989 R. Lopez de Heredia Viña Gravonia “Reserva” Rioja Blanco. Bill has apparently made inquiries and determined that somehow this was mistakenly labeled as reserva, but is really and truly crianza. In any event, the color is darker than the ’88 Tondonia Blanco, which is more like a deep straw color. The somewhat enticing nose here sports honey, oxidative notes, tobacco leaf and earthy funk, with more exotic spices sprinkling in with air. The attack is very taut and minerally to the point of being almost tinny. However, it quickly fans out in the mid-palate, where if you really let it roll around for a while, it richens and grows considerably. Yellow apples and ample spices provide the flavor profile, with the spices carrying through to a moderate finish.

1988 R. Lopez de Heredia Viña Tondonia Reserva Rioja Blanco. Bill’s note is right on that this is a more elegant, feminine style than the Gravonia. To start, the nose is more restrained, and shows more finesse overall, presenting a softer, more floral bouquet with hints of white pepper. In the mouth, this has much more body and a creamier texture in a lithe, finesse-driven style sporting great juiciness and excellent balance. Also, it features excellent length, with plenty of tingly acidity on the finish to keep it all fresh.

1994 La Rioja Alta 890 Gran Reserva Rioja. I fell in love with this wine the moment I lifted the glass to my nose. The bouquet is just heavenly, leaping from the glass with a knock your socks off sensuousness featuring dusty sweet cherries, mulling spices, faint balsam wood and lily flowers. Later, touches of earth and caramel join the party. It is fresh and immediate and seems to have reserves of depth to go along with a personality that prevents it from even approaching gaudiness. In the mouth, it is a little less “special” at this time, but still offers nice sweet red berry fruits and dried cherry fruit. It has very solid grip, a nice juiciness and superb balance. There is a hint of fine grain tannin on the moderate length finish—all boding well for a fine future.

1985 Montecillo Gran Reserva Selección Especial Rioja. The nose opens with definite funk bordering on “dirty”, though Joe assured us it was just a little micro flora(?). Beyond that, though, there are aromas of dark cherry, earth and coffee grounds. I let this sit for an hour or more, and coming back to it later, the dirtiness had subsided, and there was a huge impression of balsam, almost dill seemingly coming out of nowhere. The next day, I served the leftovers to some friends, and the nose was all about leather, manure and earth. So, you might be in for a bumpy crazy ride with this one, at least aromatically… Not so much in the mouth, though, where it is rather smooth with rich, but integrated tannins. It is certainly less finesse-driven than the other wines this night, but does show some decent layering.

1987 R. Lopez de Heredia Viña Tondonia Gran Reserva Rioja. Ah, we are back to the land of fragrant, pretty bouquets. This one reminds me of polished furniture, persimmon, orange rind, flowers, caramel and anise. In the mouth, it is just so approachable and easy to drink. One gets no sense whatsoever of aggressive tannin or of anything but flawless balance and overall seamlessness. It is medium-bodied and is on the lean side, though I would hardly call it delicate or under-fruited. It has cranberry and cherry flavors, juicy acidity, and a spicy, dry finish with very good length.

1973 CVNE Viña Real Gran Reserva Rioja. This wine shows a whole different kind of nose, with gewurtz-like lychee and spice aromas being the first thing one notices. There is also a darker cherry note on top, but that sense of lychee keeps boiling up. Very interesting. The palate is on the richer end of the spectrum, with mocha, black cherry, lychee, and dark caramel flavors that lead to a prickly finish. It tastes quite clean, with little tannin interference, offers a nice texture and hangs out on the finish for a good long while.

1970 R. Lopez de Heredia Viña Tondonia Gran Reserva Rioja. Again, I’m experiencing a fabulous Lopez de Heredia nose of leather couch, minerals, cranberry, raspberry and spicy wood, joined later on by coffee overtones. On the palate, there is an intense shot of juicy red berry fruit and dried cherry right up front (Joe tells me this was a very fruity vintage in Rioja) that has immediate appeal. It is more rounded and filled in than the 1987, seeming almost viscous in comparison. It offers a lovely shot of balancing tang on the very long finish. Very nice! It may not be as impressive or showy as the 1946, but I would say I enjoyed drinking this wine even more on this particular evening—WOTN for me.

1964 R. Lopez de Heredia Viña Bosconia Gran Reserva Rioja. I got a rather different read on this wine than Bill for some reason. To me, the nose is a bit brooding, really, with forest floor, dark wood and rich fruit. I actually wrote down “burly”, though I am sure this is a relative term amongst this style of wine. In the mouth, I find this to be surprisingly meaty and masculine with dark berries and black cherry fruit over polished but fuller tannins. Again, though, I find the seamless texture and beautiful layering that I have become accustomed to in my half-year-long exploration of this bodega.

1947 R. Lopez de Heredia Viña Bosconia Gran Reserva Rioja. I was shocked to see just how dark and healthy the color was on this wine—in fact I would say it was the darkest wine of the night. Also, in the glass, it looks quite heavy on the glycerin, coating the inside of the wine glass as you swirl. The nose is a very interesting blend of light airy aromatics and a darker, earthy underbelly. Later, secondary nuances of sweet caramel, spicy wood and some alcohol notes come on, but not so much the old cracked leather and fading flowers I was expecting for some reason. This bouquet seemed like it was still waiting to really strut its stuff in like another 20 years. In the mouth, this is almost unctuous when compared to some of the younger wines—with great richness and mouthfeel to go along with sweet cherry fruit and tangy acidity. And the tannins are right there—giving the impression of a wine not 60 years old but more like 6. The finish just goes on and on, showing impressive persistence. On the whole, I think it is in some ways too young to drink now and is really only showing some fraction of what is under the kimono! It was a great experience to taste this wine (and all the others, really!)—my sincere thanks to Joe.

2003 Chateau Coutet Barsac. I talked to Pmac about this wine. I asked several questions about it. I watched people pour themselves some. I heard them discuss it. And then when I went to pour it, it had disappeared! Of course, the restaurant was closing down around us by the time I got to this point, so I have nobody to blame but myself! Albert shared his last drop with me after closing time, and it made me really wish for that extra glass…

1963 Quinta do Noval Vintage Porto. This one I was not going to miss! And I’m glad I didn’t! The color is a muddied garnet. This wine has a soaring bouquet of smoky black cherries, caramel, spices and spirits. In the mouth, it is very spicy, with bright, sweet candied fruit and tangy acidity. It is massively long in the mouth, just coating the palate and staying with you for minutes after swallowing. It possesses medium body, a silky texture, well-integrated tannins and a lip-smacking personality that just won’t quit. The finish goes on and on and provided a perfect ending to a fabulous evening.

-Michael