The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 4 x Bl de Bl Champagne (Pierre Peters, Jacquesson)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: 4 x Bl de Bl Champagne (Pierre Peters, Jacquesson)

by Saina » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:36 pm

Pierre Peters Brut Cuvée de Réserve NV

Fun stuff! Bright, refreshing aromatics, with a delectable note of clover. The palate is nicely acidic and nutty but very refreshing - but maybe a bit opulent? Or then my tastes in Bl de Bl are rather extreme? Whichever, I like it!

Pierre Peters Extra Brut NV

This is even more to my taste: grassy, steely and citrussy; leaner but more elegant than the CdR. Very nice stuff! I must buy this more often.

Jacquesson Avize Grand Cru 1995

Looks young, slight green tint. The nose is slightly bisquitty, very tartly appley and has a very slight nutty hint also. The mousse is small and intense. The palate is wonderfully acidic - I can see how some might find it too tart, but for me it works beautifully. It is very dry, but does have nice, varietally true Chardonnay fruit to it also. Very long, with some bitterness/quinine on the aftertaste. I like this very much.

Jacquesson Avize Grand Cru 1996

Young looking. The nose is quite lovely: it smells of brazil nuts and is surprisingly floral for a Bl de Bl. Where the '95 was stylishly austere, this is comparatively fruity. The mousse is elegant. The palate is very dry, but has a great concentration of fruit but is delightfully acidic. Long and mineral aftertaste. Quite lovely!

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN: 4 x Bl de Bl Champagne (Pierre Peters, Jacquesson)

by Howie Hart » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:25 pm

At last year's MOCOOL I had the good fortune of tasting several 1990 vintage Champagnes, and it's amazing how they develop that lovely earthy nuttiness over time. That was my first experience with aged Champagnes, and I like them.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:29 am

Howie Hart wrote:That was my first experience with aged Champagnes, and I like them.

Many 90's are still youngsters - you should try the early 80's to get some aged ones! ;) I'm glad you enjoyed the aged characteristics as not many seem to care for them. But I love that period in champs developments where there is still fruit, but it has turned all mushroomy and slightly oxidative. Heaven.

-O-
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:35 am

Clover! Interesting descriptor, I have no idea what clover tastes or smells of.

And as for opulence in champagne, well, where I often appreciate austerity in wine, champagne is categorically not one of the areas I hope to find it in.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:32 pm

Jenise wrote:Clover! Interesting descriptor, I have no idea what clover tastes or smells of.

A little bit grassy, but with a fresh herb note mixed in - if that makes any sense?

-O-