The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2001 Prager Artist Riesling „MARKUS PRACHENSKY” California revisited

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Nathan Smyth

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:20 am

2001 Prager Artist Riesling „MARKUS PRACHENSKY” California revisited

by Nathan Smyth » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:59 pm

2001 Prager Artist Riesling Smaragd „MARKUS PRACHENSKY” California revisited

Lithe, delicate, just a little sweet.

My immediate impression was that the mood, the flavors, and the residual sugar were remarkably similar to the 2001 Pichler "M". Don't know whether that's a vintage characteristic - Mapquest says Weißenkirchen & Loiben are about 8 miles apart, so I guess that's too far for terroir.

But while the 2001 "M" was drinking almost perfectly about two years ago [with very soft, round edges], even within this remarkably gentle context, there's that signature Bodenstein angularity to this Prager, refusing to be subdued - which makes me think that it could be another ten years or more before this wine hits its peak.

[Although sometimes now I find myself wonder whethering Toni Bodenstein's wines weren't meant to be cellared for centuries, rather then mere decades; certainly this is the first Bodenstein that I've ever encountered which showed any residual sugar.]

Score-wise, I guess maybe the general vicinity of 96-100 points, although the big question would be not so much where it will peak [probably 98-100 points], but more a question of when it will get there [10 years? 20 years? - I dunno].

And I don't think it would be cant to say that this is a truly profound wine.

Certainly one which will require extreme self-discipline if you're going to offer it the contemplation which it deserves.

Tasted over the course of three days.

PS: Passed the "Mom" test - my Mom, who is exceedingly finicky about her Rieslings, just went crazy for this one; we'll probably be seeing much more of it at future Thanksgivings & Christmases.

PPS: Cork is fully two inches long, and looks to be of very high quality, so that should help with the cellaring.