The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2 roses, 1 white by the river

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 2 roses, 1 white by the river

by Dale Williams » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:02 am

Humidity reigned supreme o'er NY yesterday, and we debated whether to stay in AC or venture to the park for concert. We decided to brave it, and were glad we did. The performers (Stephanie Nakasian with Hod O'Brien trio) were excellent, we got to see old friends, and the breeze kept it from being stifling. We had cheese (Mountaineer from Virginia), salami, beans, salad, and a 2006 La Bastide Blanche Bandol rosé. Pretty salmon color,very herby, ok acidity. Strawberries, cherries, and a hint of mineral. I think something lighter/crisper would have been better suited for our picnic, but this is a good wine. Could stand up to heftier food. B/B+

Also sampled:
2006 Domaine de Fenouillet Côtes du Ventoux rosé
Now this is light and crisp for a hot summer evening, but it's also just a little dilute. Good acidity, crisp strawberry fruit, just short on the finish. Still, refreshing. B

2003 Cazin (Le Petit Chambord) Cheverny
I was a little worried re this being too flabby based on vintage, but it actually seemed to have decent acidity. Unfortunately, the bigger problem was it seemed tired- a bit short, with the grassy notes blending with some oxidative notes. Pretty sure this is mostly SB, and I don't care for 90% of aged SB I've tried. Also, no clue as to storage. But this bottle gets a C/C+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2 roses, 1 white by the river

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:09 am

Bastide is an excellent producer Dale. Have you come across the Sorin at all??