The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Would you share your wine with a fly?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

Would you share your wine with a fly?

Yes (I'm male)
51%
Maybe (male)
14%
No (male)
5%
Yes (female)
18%
Maybe (female)
3%
No (female)
4%
Other/Can't answer as stated (discuss)
4%

Total votes : 76
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: Would you share your wine with a fly?

by JC (NC) » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:27 pm

That's why I thought Bob was putting us on with a clever play on words! But George Eliot was a woman that had mannish characteristics, right? So maybe she should have written Middlesex instead of Middlemarch.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:46 pm

Well, looking at the running results, JC, I'd say half the men are forthright....and about 20% are girlie men! Argghhghgh. :)
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:47 pm

Well, looking at the running results, JC, I'd say half the men are forthright....and about 20% are girlie men! Argghhghgh. :)
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:55 pm

Detroit? Turkish Greeks? Hermaphrodites?

I didn't think I'd be interested, but I was hooked by Cal Stephanides from page one -- charming, intelligent, reliable, good humored -- altogether someone I would like to meet in person.

The novel runs a bit too long, and the ending struck me as a bit contrived. But oh what a joyous journey through several generations.

I'm not much of a fan of the modern novel, but this one pleased me greatly.
no avatar
User

Graeme Gee

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:13 am

Sydney, Australia

by Graeme Gee » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:25 pm

Procedure:
1. Lift insect just above liquid surface
2. Holler "SPIT IT OUT, YER BUGGER"
3. Dispose of insect
4. Continue drinking.
cheers,
Graeme
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:15 am

I'm surprised by the number of women who would still finish the glass of wine. Looks like I'm in the minority here even in my own gender.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:29 am

JC (NC) wrote:I'm surprised by the number of women who would still finish the glass of wine. Looks like I'm in the minority here even in my own gender.

<b>This article</b> may shed some additional light on this issue. In short, wine's anti-bacterial effects almost certainly neutralize any germs that the insect brings to the party. It's certainly legitimate to shun the afflicted glass if you feel squeamish, but as a medical matter, it's reasonably safe to assume that the wine will disinfect the critter.

Wine industry trumpets anti-bacteria research
CNN
May 7, 1996
Web posted at: 8:15 p.m. EDT
From Correspondent Eugenia Halsey

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The purported health benefits of wine are once again being touted by the industry claiming the Greek god Bacchus among its founders.

Wine makers have touted studies linking wine with good cardiovascular health. Now the industry is hailing a study of wine's ability to kill harmful bacteria contained in food.
Weisse

Dr. Martin Weisse of West Virginia University has conducted research suggesting one to two glasses of wine with your meals may help prevent food poisoning, dysentery, and so-called traveler's diarrhea. (153K AIFF sound or 153K WAV sound)

Weisse's research, published last year in the British Medical Journal, showed both red and white wine to be more effective at wiping out bacteria than other types of alcohol, or even Pepto Bismol.

Weisse thinks there is a compound in wine released during fermentation that kills bacteria such as E. coli, salmonella, and shigella.

In anecdotal support of his research, Weisse notes people in ancient times frequently drank wine as a digestive aid.

<b>Full story in CNN archives online</b>
no avatar
User

Judi Kaye

Rank

Cellar rat

Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:19 pm

Portland, Oregon USA

by Judi Kaye » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:05 am

It looks as though while I was away for a bit this wine discussion has taken a bit of a literary turn. :o I'll chime in here... I also found Middlesex to be a very enjoyable read, and not at all what I had expected. It earned a place on my Favorites list. :)
"A bottle of wine begs to be shared; I have never met a miserly wine lover." --- Clifton Fadiman
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:21 am

Judi Kaye wrote:It looks as though while I was away for a bit this wine discussion has taken a bit of a literary turn. :o I'll chime in here... I also found Middlesex to be a very enjoyable read, and not at all what I had expected. It earned a place on my Favorites list. :)

Yes, Middlesex was one of my favorite novels of 2002. I think that most people, when informed of its subject matter, would be likely to dismiss it as contrived or uninteresting, but it's a marvelously written, emotionally deep novel that I feel almost qualifies as "magic realism." Motivated by that experience, I then went on to read "The Virgin Suicides" which I didn't like nearly as much. I feel that Jeffrey Eugenides really developed as a novelist between the two books.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Judi Kaye

Rank

Cellar rat

Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:19 pm

Portland, Oregon USA

by Judi Kaye » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:41 am

Does anyone else here feel as though we should pull a cork on a bottle, and enjoy some nice vino with this discussion? I have a very nice 2006 Willamette Valley Vineyards Whole Berry Fermented Pinot Noir that would be fun to share... :wink:
"A bottle of wine begs to be shared; I have never met a miserly wine lover." --- Clifton Fadiman
no avatar
User

Dick M

Rank

Cellar rat

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:03 pm

Springfield, IL

by Dick M » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:02 pm

I don't think many folks would throw out a nice juicy steak just because a fly landed on it. We'd just shush it away with a wave of our hand. So what's the difference between that and flicking a fly out of our wine glass?!

Dick M.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:59 pm

I'd probably cut out the bite on which the fly landed--hard to do with a glass of wine.
Previous