The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

How long to hold red Sancerres?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

How long to hold red Sancerres?

by Jenise » Sun May 07, 2006 6:44 pm

I've got an 02 Reverdy (a laugh, because I thought I bought whites and didn't realize the error until I poured this bottle's brother in a glass) that I'm thinking might be a good red for a raclette dinner I'm going to. I have relatively little experience with red Sancerres, but I think I know that they don't age especially well so there's no reason not to drink this one now. Is this correct?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

MarkE

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:45 am

Re: How long to hold red Sancerres?

by MarkE » Sun May 07, 2006 7:06 pm

The CW is that Sancerre rouge is made in a style to be drunk within 2-3 years. Given the vintage, your bottle may go longer but I wouldn't wait.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun May 07, 2006 8:07 pm

Just what I thought--it goes! Thanks.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Mon May 08, 2006 9:30 am

Jenise,

While the conventional wisdom is usually right -- and it's hard to imagine a Sancerre rouge that wouldn't taste good at a relatively young age -- I've had some that were terrific at the ripe old age of eight. I also have a Henri Pelle 2000 Menetou-Salon rouge "Les Cris" that was closed the last time I tried it and appears to me to be as ageworthy as a good village Burg. With a good producer (I haven't tried any from Reverdy though I've heard good things about their wines) and a good vintage (2002 certainly was), my guess is you could give this five to six years without too much worry. But drinking it now, especially with good food, should be fine, as well.

-- Bruce