The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Ladeger Pinot Blanc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

WTN: 2006 Ladeger Pinot Blanc

by Mark Lipton » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:45 pm

Tonight we celebrated a Sardinian friend's recent PhD defense and appointment to a faculty position by having her and her family over for a dinner of lobster paella. I went to Indianapolis to get some supplies for the dinner and also looked for a suitable wine to accompany the paella. Apropos of Dale's recent thread, since the paella would be quite aromatic with fennel, saffron and tarragon, I decided that a light bodied, crisp white of the not-so-aromatic sort was in order. Ideally, I wanted to get a Vermentino for her, but none were to be found in my usual haunts. The Riesling selection boiled down to a '04 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Kabinett for $25, there was a decent Albariño for $20 or (my eventual choice):

2006 Alois Ladeger Pinot Bianco Alto Adige
nose: perfumed, slightly floral with minerals and white stonefruit
palate: crisp acidity, light body, lovely minerality, delicate floral fruitiness

This wine was lovely and a big hit with all and sundry. It didn't overwhelm the lobster but wasn't overpowered by the saffron or fennel, either. Jean gave it her highest accolade: "get more of this!"

We started the meal with olives, cornichons, bread and two cheeses (both Spanish, one an aged, pressed goat cheese; the other a Basque sheep cheese). With them, we had a very decent NV Mumm Cuvée Napa Brut that was crisp, fresh, decently fruited with a fairly refined mousse.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: 2006 Ladeger Pinot Blanc

by Brian K Miller » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:08 am

Thanks for the note on this happy occasion. The Lageder Riesling is very nice, too, in that ultra-dry northeastern Italian way!
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:11 am

Mark,
I'm also a fan of Lageder's wines in general. If you liked the Pinot Bianco, I'd suggest you look for the single vineyard bottling "Haberlehof." I've liked all the several vintages I've tried From my notes below on the 2004, you can see that it was best within the first couple of years.
Charles

• 2004 Alois Lageder Pinot Bianco Alto Adige - Südtirol Haberlehof - Italy, Trentino-Alto Adige, Alto Adige, Alto Adige - Südtirol (7/14/2007)
    Still drinking well, but each bottle a little less good than the last, so time to drink up.
  • 2004 Alois Lageder Pinot Bianco Alto Adige - Südtirol Haberlehof - Italy, Trentino-Alto Adige, Alto Adige, Alto Adige - Südtirol (3/18/2007)
    Ripe. round pear nose, more pear fruit and somewhat less mineral on palate tahn I recall from previous bottles. Round and approachable but acid spine to stand up to spaghetti in white clam sauce.
  • 2004 Alois Lageder Pinot Bianco Alto Adige - Südtirol Haberlehof - Italy, Trentino-Alto Adige, Alto Adige, Alto Adige - Südtirol (8/14/2006)
    I really do like this wine. It has all one wants in an Italian white with food---ripe fruit, loads of minerals, and a bitter twist at the end to make the mouth water. Drinking very well but likely will for 2-3 years.
  • 2004 Alois Lageder Pinot Bianco Alto Adige - Südtirol Haberlehof - Italy, Trentino-Alto Adige, Alto Adige, Alto Adige - Südtirol (2/24/2006)
    Straw-colored, yellow fruits including a little pear on the nose. Lush glycerine-laden mouthfeel together with enough acidity makes for a terrific palate impression by the yellow fruits and moderate minerality. I really like this wine in all of the few years I've tasted.
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:04 am

Lageder is nice, I agree. We're still on the Haberlehof '05 here and I've drunk a dozen bottles since it became available last summer. Any idea if '06 can be expected to be zippier - though really enjoyable, I do miss a touch of zip in the '05.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:38 pm

Mark, I raved about this wine earlier this year but no notes anywhere. I am sure I posted here.
Notes from my 3 ring binder say do not serve too chilled. Nose is zippy/apple/citrus/minerals/gooseberry/stoney. On the palate apple/pear/gd acidity/like it. Buy more!

Good to see your notes, seems we are both in tune!