The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Beyerskloof Pinotage 2003

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Beyerskloof Pinotage 2003

by Jay Labrador » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:45 am

Quite dark, medium-bodied, juicy. Sweet fruit. Tobacco, leather, roasting meat and a distinct rubbery character. Soft tannins, decent finish. Not as good as Kanonkop but very good for me. Went nicely with risotto and Italian sausages. It may seem a bit odd but this went really well with olives stuffed with pimentos which really brought out the sweetness and fruit in the wine.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: WTN: Beyerskloof Pinotage 2003

by Paul B. » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:49 pm

Many thanks for the note Jay. I remember having the Beyerskloof some years ago, but recently it has not made any return appearances in Ontario unfortunately. I agree - it's a very good Pinotage, though a notch or two below what Kanonkop was / perhaps still is (haven't tried any of the ones made post-Beyers Truter).
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:13 am

It is quite a credit to Beyerskloof to compare it so favourably with Kanonkop becase there is quite a difference between them, firstly the price - Kanonkop is 3 to four times more expensive than Beyerskloof.

Beyerskloof is a volume producer using bought in grapes and making more than 1 million bottles of the 2006, while Kanonkop is an Estate using only its own grown fruit and making between 6-8K cases, Kanonkop does long aging in new French oak barrels while Beyerskloof uses staves.
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:09 am

Thanks for the additional info. I didn't know there was such a huge difference in winemaking and price between the two wines. The Beyerskloof was picked up in the bargain bin of one of the retailers here for about $10.00 if I remember right. I think Kanonkop costs about $ 27.00
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:31 pm

Jay Labrador wrote:Thanks for the additional info. I didn't know there was such a huge difference in winemaking and price between the two wines. The Beyerskloof was picked up in the bargain bin of one of the retailers here for about $10.00 if I remember right. I think Kanonkop costs about $ 27.00

With discounts, taxes, differeing prices in different shops and countries its hard to establish pricing relationships.

Here in UK Beyerskloof 2006 is in most supermarkets and is priced between 5 and 6 GBP, but is often discounted -- I bought a load at 4.27, wheres Kanonkop is not currently in the supermarkets but winestore has it at 16 GBP (prices include all taxes)

At the respective cellar doors earlier this year Beyerskloof 2006 Pinotage was 33 ZAR and Kanonkop 2004 Pinotage 140 ZAR
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:39 am

I just got back from a wonderful three week trip to South Africa (a family vacation with no real wine touring) and had the Beyerskloof 2006 Pinotage at a brai. I thought it was really nice, with good fruit that was both bright and lightly earthy and it hit the spot with the grilled steaks. It had no evidence of oak, as your note testifies. Based on your description, I suspect I'd probably prefer it to the Kanonkop, even irrespective of the price difference, given my growing dislike of overt oak.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:05 am

I have asked the rep from Beyerskloof if he could stand there and honestly tell me that their blend, Synergy, was better with the addition of Pinotage than without.

He waffled but wouldn't say it was. IMNSHO it certainly isn't, and the sooner they lose the Pinotage the better that wine will sell. It is often quite decent in spite of the Pinotage (you may have gathered I am not a fan of the grape)
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:47 am

Bill Spohn wrote:I have asked the rep from Beyerskloof if he could stand there and honestly tell me that their blend, Synergy, was better with the addition of Pinotage than without.

He waffled but wouldn't say it was. IMNSHO it certainly isn't, and the sooner they lose the Pinotage the better that wine will sell. It is often quite decent in spite of the Pinotage (you may have gathered I am not a fan of the grape)

Bill, there are plenty of Bordeaux blends around and indeed Beyerskloof themselves make one -- Field Blend, so if you don't like the Pinotage element in their Synergy Cape Blend why not just order the Field Blend which is just Cab Sauv/Merlot?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:50 am

Peter, the issue isn't what can I buy for my cellar - believe me, that isn't a problem.

The issue is whether Pinotage brings anything to the blend, and opinions vary on that.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:27 am

Bill Spohn wrote:Peter, the issue isn't what can I buy for my cellar - believe me, that isn't a problem.

The issue is whether Pinotage brings anything to the blend, and opinions vary on that.

We all have different tastes, that is for sure, and no-one says you have to like Pinotage.

But I can't see what your issue is with Beyerskloof. They make both a CS/M blend and a CS/M/Pinotage blend. Each will have their fans. Personally I think the world has enough Bordeaux blands and that Pinotage adds an attractive fruitiness to the Synergy blend and thats the one that I buy.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:36 pm

Peter May wrote:Personally I think the world has enough Bordeaux blands

Peter, I won't ask if that was a typo since I fully agree with you ... :mrgreen:

I think that, as you say, so long as there is a choice - the problem is nil. I feel alarmed, however, when arguments are made for the exclusion of Pinotage from blends - that would, in theory, diminish the presence of Pinotage and lessen choice for those who do love the variety and the qualities that it brings to a given wine.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:37 pm

Bruce K wrote:Based on your description, I suspect I'd probably prefer it to the Kanonkop, even irrespective of the price difference, given my growing dislike of overt oak.

FWIW, when I used to drink Kanonkop, I didn't get overt oak on it - though to be fair when I last tried it I was more tolerant towards oak than I am now. Rather it seemed to me to be like the oak of a young but traditional Bx, like Haut-Bailly for example, i.e. it was there but it wasn't a dominating aroma.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.