The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Favorite foods with a Cali Viognier?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Favorite foods with a Cali Viognier?

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:57 pm

Viognier has been getting a lot of press here on the forum and I am thinking of a new Open Mike but with a catch....blending Viognier with other varietals!

The pros and cons sort of thing. I guess the main emphasis will be on Shiraz/Viognier blending but I would like to look at some of the M.V.Rs out there, the Marsanne Rousanne Viognier wines from Australia wines for example. Thoughts anyone?
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:53 pm

Bob, I don't know that I would assume that Shiraz/Viognier blends would be in the forefront. In that blend the V is subsumed by the S, and the V becomes merely a bit player. An important one, but one that is not readily apparent except for the varietal aroma it might add.

I'd say Chardonnay/Viognier would be a better pairing to look at, since in that blend the components are more obvious (or should be) and you can consider/analyze the effect of each as well as the effect of the combination.

Again, unless someone is quite adroit at separating out varietal elements, the combinations, such as V/Marsanne/Roussanne, are going to be very, very tough to assess. I know they are for me.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:01 pm

Thanks for the imput Hoke. That is what I was looking for, some ideas. I had not really considered the Chardonnay/Viognier blend and will have to look around up here. Of course, that does not stop others from going ahead! I have only a couple of Shiraz/Viognier blended wines so might insert if the thread wants to wander a bit.
I do have some ideas about a couple of Viognier/P Gris wines up here that might be of interest to some forumites. Hopefully others will chip in.

Thanks Bob P
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:55 am

I agree with Hoke... Viognier is usually only about 2% of a Syrah/Shiraz blend.. for aromatics, usaully.

But since I drink very few Aussie wines, I could be completely wrong about that!
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:05 am

Thanks James for your added imput. Think looking at Viognier and other white varietals looks the way to go..Chardonnay and Pinot Gris.
I would like to add Marsanne and Rousanne to the mix as I know there are some nice ones out there and a few fans of these varietals lurk around here!!
Don`t know how much interest there will be but surely a good subject for an Open Mike? Jadot is over on Wine Focus so could be an interesting month.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:15 am

I do think it could be a good topic....white Rhone varietals....for CA producers, they can be a great alternative to Chardonnay....and for wine drinkers too... I love trying them.... and for purists, there are the comparisons of French white rhones with everything else...
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:09 pm

James Dietz wrote:I do think it could be a good topic....white Rhone varietals....for CA producers, they can be a great alternative to Chardonnay....and for wine drinkers too... I love trying them.... and for purists, there are the comparisons of French white rhones with everything else...

OMG!... All those ellipses!... Are you now channeling... RMP? :evil:

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:11 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
OMG!... All those ellipses!... Are you now channeling... RMP? :evil:

Mark Lipton

who??... me...?? .. ..how dare you.....even think that.... 8)
Cheers, Jim
Previous