The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Rosenblum Zinfandel "Lyons Reserve"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN: 2003 Rosenblum Zinfandel "Lyons Reserve"

by Jason Hagen » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:30 pm

2003 Rosenblum Zinfandel Napa Valley Lyons Reserve
The is a dark and heavy wine. The nose is almost overwhelming. So intense. Like smelling dark fruited jam with sitting in a basement with a little bit of lawn clippings. No subtlety here…but sometimes that is okay. Big mouth feel. Tons of ripe fruit. Walking the line of being overripe. It is looking over the edge but thankfully not pruned or raisoned. The finish is incredibly long but doses show some heat and you feel a slight burn. Not for everyone but when the time is right I do enjoy something like this. If it was held back just a notch or two I would have been even more happy. It probably is as good as it will ever be. It shows more heat now than it did a year ago … so I wouldn’t wait long. 90 pts.

Jason
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: WTN: 2003 Rosenblum Zinfandel "Lyons Reserve"

by John Treder » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:11 pm

I know the kind of wine you're talking about, and I find myself conflicted too. If it's so over the top that I can't enjoy it even with something like Italian sausage, I guess it's too much for me. I hardly ever drink wine outside of a meal.