The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Joseph Swan Pinot Noir CdT

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN: 2005 Joseph Swan Pinot Noir CdT

by Jason Hagen » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:51 pm

2005 Joseph Swan Pinot Noir Cuvee de Trois RRV
I had tried this once before at Dietz’s place but it was after many bottles of wine and right after pouring a horribly corked Kosta Browne into my glass. When we moved on to the Swan, I really enjoyed it but it was basically sniffing swirling spitting. Now it was time to appreciate what is going on here. The nose is bursting out of the glass. Ripe fruit and citrus peel. Really reminded me more of Central Cali than RRV. On the 04 I got more of a “stem” quality, but I did not notice it here. Really wonderful, primary aromatics. The flavors followed. Big and ripe but miles away from heavy. Semi ripe strawberries and citrus. In the middle, there was a mix of herbs and blue fruit. Finishes with black cherry. Really nice mouth feel. It was silky in a way I do not notice in Cali pinot. Really nice balance. No noticeable tannin. Great acidity. Very refreshing at this stage. No flaws and very clean. Not sure how long this one will go but I don’t see another 4 or 5 years being any problem. But if you enjoy things more on the primary side and are not afraid of a little acidity … drink up! 93 pts

Jason
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: WTN: 2005 Joseph Swan Pinot Noir CdT

by John Treder » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:26 pm

Yep. Rod sells most of the Cuvee de Trois to the restaurant trade.
Try the Great Oak, Saralee's, or Steiner vineyard PNs for more traditional PN. The estate PN is a real classic - much leaner than the others and takes a long time to develop. It reminds me of a Nuits St. George, only with some California floating around the edges. I haven't opened any of the estate more recent than 1995.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2005 Joseph Swan Pinot Noir CdT

by Jenise » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:58 am

John - Santa Clara wrote: The estate PN is a real classic - much leaner than the others and takes a long time to develop. It reminds me of a Nuits St. George, only with some California floating around the edges. I haven't opened any of the estate more recent than 1995.

I think the 95 is just coming into view right now. Very tannic vintage, should be almost immortal.