The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Lambrusco by the river

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Lambrusco by the river

by Dale Williams » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:28 am

Wednesday was warm, but low humidity and lovely. Betsy was in the mood for fajitas, so prepared some skirt steak, sauteed peppers and onions, made guacamole, and packed up everything for the river concert. Delicious, except the tortillas hardened after a bit. Wine was the (non-vintage I believe) Barbolini Lambrusco (Modena). Just a bit frizzante, enough to froth on pouring but not especially noticable as one was drinking. Rather dark purple color, this is surprisingly a bit tannic. But the flavors are striking, bold black plum and berry, with a floral note on top. There's a straightforward grapiness, but also some depth. At first I think its dry, but then quietly sipping I get a little residual sugar, but its offset by a pleasant bitterness. It does well with the fajitas, when sipping by itself after the food was gone I wished for a little cheese to cut the tannins a bit (local cheesemonger is on vacation, damn!). B/B+

Nice night by the river, though I realized that maybe I'm just not that fond of jazz flute. :)

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

Re: WTN: Lambrusco by the river

by wrcstl » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:36 am

Dale,

"Lambrusco by the River" sounds like a country and western song. Let's see, grapiness, RS, slightly fizzy and B/B+; you are an easy grader. Pour on a little oak and I might really like it. :roll: Maybe you were judging relative to the jazz flute or like many times, the situation made the wine seem really good. I just brought back 4 bottles of Virginia wine that tasted much better at the cellar door than when opened at our house.
Walt
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:42 am

If your references are limited to Riunite, maybe it sounds that way. But this is fairly serious wine. I personally like Lambrusco on a warm day, a lot better than classified Bordeaux for a picnic, frankly. Free your mind! :)
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:55 am

Dale Williams wrote:Free your mind! :)

Too big of a leap, too many bad memories, too many other wine regions to investigate and drink. I do agree that most any wine would be better for a picnic than a classified Bordeaux and haven't opened one for at least 2 months. Drinking lots of rose and light whites with a splash of PN and Italian reds. We had some fish tacos with a mango/red pepper salsa and opened a Rosato, Italian rose. Great match and my wife gave it 2 thumbs up. She is a very hard grader. Am excited about this weekend as we are having a small dinner party with only fresh summer foods being served, no oven, grill or stove can be turned on. Starting with a Prosecco, then another bottle of Rosato and then a white Piedmont wine I found that is light and fruity.
Walt
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:31 pm

I guess it's a similar leap from supermarket fizzy red & white lambrusco to dry Lambrusco DOC, as it is from supermarket liebfraumilch to a decent Kabinett Riesling.

Neither the Lambrusco or the riesling will shout out as great cerebral wines, but in the right setting (and Lambrusco on a picnic with bread, olives, salami, cheese and a few other nibbles is a really great combination) they very much have their place. True regional Lambrusco is a unique style and I think a resurgence in interest is justified, though not helped by the 95% of 'industrial' Lambrusco that's destroyed any semblance of credibility for as long as I can remember.

Stuck on the dining table with a roast dinner might not work as well though :lol:
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:56 pm

Yes, Riunite and Cella have much to answer for (besides those silly "Chill a Cella" ads of my youth). The Liebfraumilch/Kabinett Riesling comparison is apt (as would be White Zinfandel to real rosé).

Have a couple more Lambruscos to taste through this summer, the Cleto Chiarli "Pruno Nero" and a rosato from Zucchi.