The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Italian Gewurztraminer Question

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Italian Gewurztraminer Question

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:37 am

We had a 2006 Cantina Nalles Gewurz from Alto Adige at our wine club meeting last night, and it was really, really bad. Tough to describe, but it smelled very synthetic and tasted similar, almost like an actual bottle of floral perfume. It left a sort of burning feeling on the palate.

I haven't tried a whole lot of gewurz, and never from this region, so I'm wondering if this is typical or if we got a flawed bottle?
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Italian Gewurztraminer Question

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:51 am

Never tried a Gewurtz from Italy and not likely too!! Here come the emails about the good ones (grin). Next time you are in the store, look at Alsace. There is also a nice one from Villa Maria NZ.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:06 am

Yes, I've only ever had Alsatian gewurz. The reason we ended up w/ the Italian version is because our theme this month was wines that come from places that start w/ the letter "A", and one of the girls was tasked w/ bringing something from Alto-Adige. She decided that rather than bring the predictable Pinot Grigio, she'd take the advice of the clerk at the store and bring the gewurz.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:31 am

K Story wrote:I haven't tried a whole lot of gewurz, and never from this region, so I'm wondering if this is typical or if we got a flawed bottle?

K, I'm not sure if I've ever had an Alto Adige Gewurz, and if so, I sure haven't had many! I'll say this, though: Given its Alpine location and its socio-political history, Alto Adige - part of the old Austrian Sudtirol - is almost as Germanic as it is Italian. A lot of German is spoken there, many of the family names are German, and the wines tend to be more "Germanic" than Italian, too. They make some excellent wines out of grapes like Kerner and Lagrein, and in general, the overall quality of Alto Adige wines is very high.

In short, I wouldn't routinely reject an Alto Adige (or Trentino) Gewurz - or Traminer - out of hand. The potential is certainly there, but that doesn't mean that you can't get an awful wine on any given day. :P
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:50 am

Robin Garr wrote:
K Story wrote:I haven't tried a whole lot of gewurz, and never from this region, so I'm wondering if this is typical or if we got a flawed bottle?

K, I'm not sure if I've ever had an Alto Adige Gewurz, and if so, I sure haven't had many! I'll say this, though: Given its Alpine location and its socio-political history, Alto Adige - part of the old Austrian Sudtirol - is almost as Germanic as it is Italian. A lot of German is spoken there, many of the family names are German, and the wines tend to be more "Germanic" than Italian, too. They make some excellent wines out of grapes like Kerner and Lagrein, and in general, the overall quality of Alto Adige wines is very high.

In short, I wouldn't routinely reject an Alto Adige (or Trentino) Gewurz - or Traminer - out of hand. The potential is certainly there, but that doesn't mean that you can't get an awful wine on any given day. :P

Well put, Robin. I'll also add that the name Gewürztraminer comes from the German word "Gewürz" (spice) + "Traminer" meaning from Tramin (Termeno), a village in the Südtirol/Alto Adige. So, Gewürztraminer is quite likely a grape indigenous to the region.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:58 am

All good information.

Does anyone know the particular producer?

The wine certainly sounds wrong, and therefore could obviously be a damaged bottle. But without knowing the producer I hesitate to remove the blame from the winemaker :wink:

That said, regardless of whether it is the producer or a bad bottle at fault, the moral of the story appears to be that you should by no means discount Italian gewurztraminer after trying this wine. There are good ones!
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:08 am

Rahsaan wrote:That said, regardless of whether it is the producer or a bad bottle at fault, the moral of the story appears to be that you should by no means discount Italian gewurztraminer after trying this wine. There are good ones!

Indeed. In fact, rather than turning me off, this has really sparked my curiousity and I'll probably pick up another bottle of the same at some point, as well as something from a different producer, and see what's going on. Thanks for everyone's input!
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:50 pm

K Story wrote:She decided that rather than bring the predictable Pinot Grigio, she'd take the advice of the clerk at the store and bring the gewurz.

Why not go back to the store in question and ask the clerk?

And, if all else fails, I will say I've had some pinot grigios from the Alto Adige that were really, really good--kind of redefined the grape for me.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:17 pm

One glass of J. Hofstatter or Pojer e Sandri and a believer in Alto Adige Gewurz you shall be.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:38 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:One glass of J. Hofstatter or Pojer e Sandri and a believer in Alto Adige Gewurz you shall be.

Since my sweeping statement this morning about looking elsewhere (wink), I have done some googling and Hofstatter seems to be right up there. One to look out for!
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:51 am

Also try Kofererhof. I'm a fan of their Pinot Grigio.
no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 10, 2006 5:09 pm

West Linn, Oregon

by michael dietrich » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:15 am

Another one I have been impressed with was Elena Walch, also Alto Adige. This sells for $19.
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

by Dan Donahue » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:59 am

I would not give up yet...besides the others already mentioned...Jermann has a very tasty Traminer.
Je ne peux pas le faire
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:25 pm

Traminer Aromatico can be quite good from the Sud-Tirol. Tiefenbrunner in particular comes to mind.

One bad bottle does not an entire region condemn!