The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Ramonet red

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Ramonet red

by Jenise » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:46 pm

Just an update from memory about a wine we had a few days ago:

2001 Domaine Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Clos de la Boudriotte"
This wine, and it's two brothers St. Jean and something that starts with an 'M' that I can't remember now, was drinking beautifully about two years ago, then it disappointed badly in a way that left me uncertain whether the wine was asleep or dead. However, if I'd had to bet, I'd have bet 'dead' and was cursing myself for not following the "if you don't think it can be any better, it probably won't get any better" rule. Well, it's come back to life and is drinking beautifully again, seeming little changed from it's early self. I think I'll go ahead and enjoy the rest of them soon--don't want to blow this 'second chance'.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: WTN: Ramonet red

by Paul Winalski » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:12 pm

Jenise,

Welcome to the very frustrating phenomenon of red Burgundies shutting down for a few years, only to emerge better than ever after some cellaring patience!

Chassagne-Montrachet Rouge is one of Burgundy's better-kept secrets (the high quality of sparking Burgundy is best-kept secret #1).

Salut,

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:06 am

Paul, I've read of others, particularly in the pre-Burghound days, guvung Burgs up for dead and then having them re-emerge spectacularly, and that was exactly what was on my mind for publishing this tasting-note-without-any-tastes kind of note. Definitely a warning to others who may own the wine.

Too, made me wonder if the local pinot noir we had tonight, for instance, which seems to be on a downturn, might rebound similarly. It's not lacking acids, and if this isn't a cool climate I don't know what is.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:06 am

Paul Winalski wrote:(the high quality of sparking Burgundy is best-kept secret #1)..

???

I thought the Over Marketed Aspect of sparkling Burgundy was the best-kept open secret about Champagne.